No Wipe On Launch, Or Even For Years? You Guys Are Crazy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamsta

Hamsta Avatar

I understand why some people would like to have a wipe. It is a different feeling when everybody starts from square one. But these people often forget, that the equality and fairness they are chasing is lost from second 2. By the end of the day the gap between long time players and spenders would be huge. Day 2 it woudl be worse and so on.
    Also it doesn't make sense aside from PvP. A wipe would most likely just killed the game because the EA players would have left with all their stuff done destroyed. I respect Port for saying something and sticking with it. I started a bit over a week ago and I'm close to lvl 70. Every day I make progress and enjoy the game. I don't care if there are people with everything in the game around me. MY progress makes MY fun for the game.

Mortanius, Elwyn, Ellrynn and 5 others like this.
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If more had thought to the contrary, they would have argued against it. They have proven in the past that they would listen to an uproar of dissent from the backers.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This topic is so 2016.

Mortanius, Shadow, Solazur and 8 others like this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Right?

5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Stated perfectly. I resisted the urge to explode here.

Fact is, some people left the game for a while and then came back. That's fine. Not checking on the game every couple of months to see what has been going on is a decision. If you want to be invested, and up-to-date on things, great... if not... great. If you DECIDE to not follow what's been going on for many months, you need to accept that as your own action. That is certainly not the fault of the players that decided to stick around. It's not the fault of the developers that needed to see data that is only obtainable via watching things grow and change for a year, plus. It was necessary to have things be persistent for the game to be further developed. A lot of pretty significant issues were found only once they allowed players to have months and months of growth without resets. It is very important to note that anyone that wanted to be here throughout this entire process, could do so.

Elwyn, Shadow, Numa and 4 others like this.
  6. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

They could not wipe because they let people buy and sell backer reward items for real money. I doubt a wipe would make anything, including pvp, more compelling.

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Not sure if Ill ever understand the angst over other people having more exp than you.

8. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I am a little sad that I cannot eat anyone yet. This is at least fair to all of us who eat avatars. I understand that "fresh" has long passed but I promise the game is as tasty as ever. You should try it.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Insufficient epeen.

Mortanius likes this.
  10. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

In many good stories, the protagonist starts out where others have all the advantages.

Nikko, Solazur and Alley Oop like this.
  11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Democracy?

You mean where the majority of the mob tells everyone else what to do?

:)

12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I've got 700+ hours into the game and only have a GM in fishing. By the way, I won the game on release 9 - it only took 5 minutes on adventure level 1 to smile inside.

Shroud!? We don't need no stinking Shroud!

This game is like your commute to work. It doesn't matter how fast you drive - someone will be ahead of you - relax and enjoy the ride .

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Pretty much.

14. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Years: that's like more than 2. It's been 20 months since the game went persistent m8. annnnnd again....if they'd wiped it when they went persistent (in spite of assurances to the contrary) the same top tier people would be there before the rest of us anyway.

Also... the whole "everybody is So far ahead of me I can never have fun argument is a dog that just won't hunt. End of Story.

Shadow likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If I ever support a Kickstarter game again. The first question I will ask is will there be a wipe for launch day. If no, then I will not support. That simple.

This launch was lacking because of the dispersion created by the majority of the players already moved on from the starting point of the game. The launch suffered, agree or don't, I will never be apart of this again.

16. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

We all started at the same point of the game.

17. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I really like wiping!

Waxillium likes this.
  18. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

One of the key advertising aspects of the SotA Kickstarter was "Early Access" which included early naming rights and early skill gains. This was fulfilled when the game went "persistent" before Release.

Even if there were a wipe before Release, different people started at different times and/or have different amounts of time to devote to playing the game to progress. Thus there will ALWAYS be a set of players that are further along, more powerful, and richer than others.

Even if there were a wipe before Release, and players had an equal amount of time to access the game, players who have been part of the game from the time that quests and content were added would have better information to progress in the game faster than someone starting from scratch.

Basically, there is zimply ZERO way for a persistent online game and one done via open development in the style of SotA for players to be equal, nor does there need to be.

Sean Silverfoot and Numa like this.
  19. Koss

Koss Avatar

Damn.... should we wipe on episode two as well?

C'mon people.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not on the same date you didn't. Hope you are not trying to change my opinion or "one up" my point. It's irrelevant. I live with my choice to back this game. They live with their choice to launch with no wipe. I adjust accordingly. Not looking for approval or affirmation.

Let's look forward to Episode 2. They going to release that content early too? How do you explain that logic? Yeah, no thanks. Launch is the day the game starts and each episode's content is released on their respective release days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.