No Wipe On Launch, Or Even For Years? You Guys Are Crazy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There is a hardcap at 200 skill points in a skill, but most people will not ever get enough XP to get up there :)

2. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

If all you care about is other players then you don't understand what playing a game is about! This selfish attitude doesn't see nor care to understand that the game released persistent over a year ago, you had a chance then to get involved, you didn't, now when you decide to join, you want everyone wiped! This is the problem with players these days, too worried about others to even understand the game is what THEY make of it! Sad!

Mortanius, By Tor, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  3. AnabolicRAGE

AnabolicRAGE Avatar

I have only been playing a couple weeks now and I love the game. I think its awesome seeing all these other players and the stuff they have! Do I feel poor? lmao heck yeah I do, but I have learned alot and im gonna keep learning.

Hornpipe, Tiki Pirate, Koss and 10 others like this.
  4. Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar

Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar Avatar

+1
    Well Said

5. mass

mass Avatar

Thanks...I edited base on my interpretation of this.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I don't think there is a hardcap... I think that was what @Chris put forward as the mathematical maximum anyone could possibly achieve with the exponential growth curve.
    And at that level the difference between 199 and 200 would be completely insignificant.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is what they call a soft cap... its still a intentional cap :)

But you are right that there are no limits on advancements (globally) in the sense that if you're willing to work for it you can have many many GMs, so this isn't the classical model where you have to select a few skills and you'll be locked into that frame.

8. mass

mass Avatar

I tried to reflect both of these concepts in my edited post.

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

A Fair Chance??

This is Novia! Cabalists don't play fair. Bosses don't play fair.

So let's party up, suck down a potion *(or three)* and let's take the wildlands back!

Servant King, Nikko and Olthadir like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Translation: they can wipe the game, but they can't wipe the players' knowledge of how to play the game. You'll still be behind, because just wiping the game won't be enough. They'll have to wipe it so hard that it's a completely different game! And then people will still find something to complain about being unfair.
    Well I'm only AL 86. I guess we'll just have to wipe to even that out!
    I have heard that the lookup tables for stats simply end at 200. But it's still pointless, because even the easiest of skills would take years of continuous 7/24 play with that 1M/hour limit to reach 200. And that's for ONE skill.

It's also not as bad that people have dozens of GMs, because you can't use them all at once! If a skill is not in your deck/hotbar, you can't use it! Except for innate skills, which need a higher multiple of XP, up to 12x. And someone else having a bunch of crafting GMs isn't going to affect their ability in combat at all.

Considering that Port haven't made any effort to advertise it until now, it is entirely possible that your small group of word-of-mouth players (who apparently care more about "reputation" than actually trying the free trial for themselves) are a drop in the bucket. Even if it's not for them, that doesn't mean that the untapped masses won't like it.

It is one thing to have an opinion. It is another thing to appear out of nowhere and call the prevailing opinion "crazy" just because it does not agree with your pre-conceptions.

Servant King, mass and Dinsoo like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

In relation to the norm, it is crazy... but so is most of how this game was built.

What I find odd is that there have been regular and repeated protests of creating a WoW clone doing everything the way other do it.
    But, when they do something different, they're accused of being 'Crazy' because that's not how everyone else does it.

Catch-22

I've said for years that they're damned if they do and they're damned if the don't... especially as there exists a small number of people that will interpret, twist, and spin Any decision made by Portalarium in the worst possible light. So... they just make the best decisions that can for the game, and their vision, and let the chips fall where they may.

12. mass

mass Avatar

Really, you are far more likely to catch up in knowledge vs. xp amongst the hardcore. I get your point, but you're never going to convince someone that the game is doable if you approach their concern with such dismissiveness. I personally think you can make a reasonable catch up effort, particularly if you have friends. But everyone has different standards. We can all have a discussion and help people figure out if it's worth a try for them.

Hah! You'll never catch me!!!!!!!!

Mykll likes this.
  13. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

The "concern" was presented as abrasively as possible, and started from a position of not even trying to play. Frankly if going beyond "AFKing on the world map" was too much effort, I doubt any of us can convince him of anything.

Not to mention that, other the the OP, he's not posted anything else. I doubt he's bothering to read the thread, as I don't expect him to put any more effort into this thread then he put into the game.

Elwyn likes this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That account hasn't been active on the Forums since 10 minutes after his original post... So, assuming the account isn't an alt, and the post wasn't simply a troll, he seems to have done what rational people do when they rage quit, and actually quit.

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Looks like this topic ran its course and should be closed.

Barugon, Almar, Tiki Pirate and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.