New Craftable Artifact: Runebook

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Apr 6, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Ok, first off, I know this is a sore subject for some. I know loads of people want runebooks and loads don't. I'm not making this post to argue with any of you. If you don't like my request, I'm really cool with that. Just please move on if you don't like it.

Runebooks don't have to be exact replicas of the runebooks of yore. After all, things work differently now. So, why not have a new version of runebooks as well?

I like the idea of Mark, Recall, and Gate all being spells that we can cast. I like the idea of a "Travel" magic tree.
    And it makes perfect sense that a runebook should count as an artifact because, by definition it would be an artifact.

Runebook: Craftable artifact
    Rune: Craftable artifact

Mark: Spell in travel tree (Reagent - 1x ancient essence per successful cast 90% chance of use )
    Recall: Spell in travel tree (Reagent - 1x Deamon hoof 70% chance of use)
    Gate: Spell in travel tree (Reagent - 1x Daemon hoof, 1x Wisp Essence, and 5x Obsidian chips 80% chance of use)
    (other travel spells would also be cool)

None of these spells need to work exactly as they did in UO. They only need to be similar. They shouldn't be cheap either. Powerful spells should require a cost equal to their power.

Crafting a runebook should be expensive and/or time consuming to acquire the crafting components.
    Runes should also be expensive.

Runebook crafting components:

Daemon leather OR Dragon scales (Obtained from skinning a daemon/dragon)
    Glowing Tattered pages (dropped from the artifact/potion loot tables) these make up the X amount of pages a runebooks can have.
    Cotton Thread (or some magical crafted thread)

Rune crafting components:
    1x Ancient esssence

2. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

100 corpse wax, 100% use =)

3. Hemswal The Descended

Just to give corpse wax a purpose? lol

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The biggest obstacle to rune books isn't that a lot of people don't want them, it's that the devs don't want them. More specifically, it goes against a major design goal Portalarium is trying to stick to.

Granted, they haven't done a very good job of adhering to that goal just with being able to teleport to "friends" but I don't think they've given up on it just yet.

The issue isn't how they're made. It's what they're capable of. Making the idea compatible with Portalarium's design goals is what you need to address.

That said, I do agree that powerful spells shouldn't be cheap. Bending space time or otherwise ripping a hole in it no matter how temporary should be no small feat. Nor should crafting an item to facilitate said feat.

Olthadir and Nelzie like this.
  5. Hemswal The Descended

You're talking about the non-existent regional stuff that never really happened? I don't think all of the devs are against it. I've spoken with some of them about this and they seemed pretty receptive. We already have a runebook that costs nothing to craft. It's called "friends list".

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If you want to cast the spell gate. I think you need to build a stone circle first which will take 3 months.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hate to put it this way but not all devs are the devs that make the call. But overall point remains the same. Until they official give up conflicting design goals, the idea needs to be made compatible.

The friends list isn't quite the same, since you're talking gate spells and a rune book with mark/recall would work in solo mode. It wouldn't make any sense for spells to be dependent on your play mode.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Is walking thru the map from one point to the other is such a big problem ???

Really I feel for you but it is not a real issue.

I hope they eventually figure out to make the regional thing work.

Any time spent on this is much more beneficial spent on working on the regional stuff.

9. Hemswal The Descended

It's not my job to make the idea compatible (although I did put some effort in the idea to that end). This is a wish list sub forum. I made my wish. I'd be over joyed to see something like my wish come to fruition.

10. Hemswal The Descended

As I stated in the initial post. "I'm not making this post to argue with any of you." If you don't like it, please, just move on. :)

3devious likes this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The thing with this "design goal" the devs don't want to part with (regional economy) is that it will very quickly become even more non-existent when episode 2+ come out.

If they have any intent on making travel have "meaning" as it relates to the economy, they are going to have to implement stricter and stricter game play limits on players. Such as doubling down on the pass bottleneck mechanic and applying it to sea travel, and eventually air travel (if their long term goals are to be realized).

Which, I think it's a poor decision to carry forward into future episodes. Sure, make resources spawn only in certain areas. But people are going to collect and move those resources regardless. And the harder you make it to do that with intentional game play limits, the more obvious and immersion breaking it will be.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't think Port's design document is "copy everything from UO" like Legends of Aria's is. ;)

I don't see the purpose of rune books currently. In UO they served a purpose as there was no other way. Moongates/Lunar Rifts have a purpose and a lore reason why they exist. Not to be a servant of a end user.

13. Hemswal The Descended

We already have runebooks that don't lend to immersion. It's called a friends list. We already have teleport and recall scrolls. Having an actual book would be far more immersive and meaningful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.