1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Tax Free Lots are Backer Rewards Only

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

There have been some questions about when we might sell tax free lots in the add on store. Tax free lots can only be obtained through pledges. We are not going to sell rent free lots in the add on store. That is one of the reasons add on store lots are less expensive than pledges with similar lot sizes.

Bom, Lained, Nhili Dragon and 34 others like this.
  2. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Thanks for clearing that up DarkStarr. Makes sense.

Tahru and Golem Dragon like this.
  3. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I always thought this to be the case but there has been a surprising amount of traffic lately with people thinking otherwise great to have this clarified thanks again Star.

Tahru, Epona and licemeat like this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There is a rumor floating around that someone at portalarium said that backers with rent-free deeds will be able to transfer the rent-free status of their deed onto a different deed, going to a village up to a town or city. Would you be able to confirm or deny if that is true right now?

5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I read/heard the same thing, but that was months ago. That may have changed since. It would be nice knowing the truth one way or the other.

Tahru likes this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Are the city/town lots attractive for their size or their location or even both? I might be interested in a larger lot but not necessarily something in the middle with all of the lord's castles, manors and the like.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I understand your asking Star Mishri and don't mean to hijack the question but from what Richard states in the video/link below it does sound like this is the case to me though as Furious Farmer stated it was months ago so perhaps it's changed.
    I would like to expand on that question though because it's been asked in the forums if someone has a tax free town lot deed and purchases the taxed city lot deed in the Add On store could this be used in game to upgrade your tax free town lot deed into a tax free city lot deed?
    (I'm guessing not but if it was the case it would be very tempting to add one)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...efactor-city-size-plots-available.5622/page-2

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This was stated in one of the video hangouts. If anyone wants to go hunting. It was after the KS close.

Bom, Stahlknecht and Time Lord like this.
  9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

The exact wording on that was:

Q: "If they upgrade from village to town does that mean we don't have to pay maintenance on the town lot either"

A: "Yes, that is correct" Chris thumbs up.

This was from 5-31-13.

This falls into just after the kickstarter grace period ended so I don't know if this was considered back then, or if they were referring to if they move up in pledge from the village lot pledge to the town lot pledge if they would still get rent free status. (Citizen to Lord). So what I'm thinking is this is clarification that yes, if you had been in kickstarter and upgrade your pledge later, you will still get the same benefits, especially based on what he says following that.

Now when housing was first discussed all lots were the same size, but where you could place depended on your deed, cities placed anywhere, town deeds only in towns or cities, and village deeds could only place in villages.

Bom, Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Does this apply to founders and benefactors?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

My view is that tax-free status is a benefit of backing to a particular level. It would be a shame if that benefit was lost later on in the game due to players 'upgrading'.

Bom likes this.
  12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Thanks, Mishri for the digging.

Here are some exact links to the time slots. These lack the http and www to avoid them auto-embedding and loosing the time reference. As such you will want to copy and paste them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0XtcrkC8o&t=42m15s
    Q. Would we be able to upgrade our homes from village to town and town to city game-wise?
    A. Yes absolutely... then a very long answer from LB.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0XtcrkC8o&t=46m55s
    This is the full answer Mishri mentioned that is a clarification of the question above. There is more information than a one liner, so I suggest everyone listen.

Based on what was said in full, at least my take, is that deeds can be upgraded in-game. And KS deeds when upgraded maintain their tax-free status. Feel free to take a listen.

Bom, Time Lord, Mishri and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you Umbrae. I did listen, and it does state that founders do recieve the tax free upgrade, do you by chance know if the benefactors get the upgrade to their tax free deed?

Bom and Time Lord like this.
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This was before there was Benefactors. Its my assumption, but I believe the tax free status is a property of the deed so it should affect everyone. By upgrading in-game you would be changing the lot size property, so there is no reason to think any tax free deed would not maintain this property.

Honestly not allowing this is sort of a spit in the face. Why should I be punished for wanting to move from village to town or city after paying such a high amount to help the game? Otherwise, I would have to stay in my tax-free village forever or sell my tax-free to get a bigger taxable deed. Since these tax-free deeds are going to be limited in number and only to backers it just does not make sense to limit their usage. At least to me.

15. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Benefactors do get tax free land deeds for pledges above $550.00

BMC has bought 2 already in December 2013

Bom and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thanks Lord Ezekiel, but I am wondering if we get the free status if we upgrade from villiage to town/town to city. The video stated that the founders do but not if the benefactors do.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you Again for the input, I did not see your reply before I replied to Lord Ezekial. That is encouraging and I hope you are right. Maybe a DEV can clarify this for us.

Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  18. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Benefactors do too when they upgrade, were working on a village/city upgrade with one of our members.

19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well the issue I see is, a citizen right now can get a rent free deed, then pay the 1000 and get the city deed and make it rent free for only 1550 total out of pocket.. They'll then need to buy a nice city sized house but still, that is a huge discount over going all the way to baron. You miss out on some rewards but not likely rewards adding up to 2,000.

Bom, Stahlknecht, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed

Stahlknecht and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.