In-game music changes

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by fragmeister13, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fragmeister13

fragmeister13 Avatar

Apologies in advance if this had been brought up before. I searched some for this but didn’t get any hits. If there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

I’ve noticed a few people moan about some of the music in this game, especially the world map phase music. I actually dig a lot of the music in this game but don’t want to hear certain tracks such as that over and over. I would like one of 2 things:

1. (Easiest for devs and players) Could a future release just rotate a few other tracks for the world map?

2. Is there a way to just replace a music track easily without breaking the game? Like can I just take a file with a certain type, bit rate, etc and replace existing music with it?

JPNotADragon likes this.
  2. JPNotADragon

JPNotADragon Avatar

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

If some of these changes were in, I might turn music back on.

4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well easiest fix without any needed dev time (;)) would be to use the Portable Aether Vibration Amplifier that is able to play radio streams. (Given to all users who had game access as of midnight July 28, 2016)
    I currently don’t know but even if there would be no recipe for a self-made version I would guess you can find one at some vendors.

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I thought we were supposed to get a second music track from Iolo (David Watson), per the Twitter challenge from @Lord British. I know he was thinking of a traveling song for the overworld, at least as of HoBLotH-II:

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Meh, I don't ever have in-game music turned on, except for player instruments. To me, music is just noise that interferes with hearing people on voice chat.

Besides, if I ever want/need music playing in the background... I'll just open up my media player and play my own stuff in the background.

I know many people like scene background music so I wouldn't ever suggest removing it. But IMO, it's just a waste of resources (both dev's time and client-server data transfer) and would OK if there wasn't any at all.

7. JPNotADragon

JPNotADragon Avatar

It's important IMO to clearly distinguish between background music and musical themes underscoring events or locations.

8. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

I think it would be helpful just to put larger gaps of ambient noise in between songs playing - like several minutes worth. A lot of the tracks were written / produced by different people and have hugely varying tones so it would help relax the ears in between so the differences weren't so obvious and would let the ambient sounds shine a bit wore while not exhausting the players by playing constant music.

Spoon likes this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Can't argue with you there. Having a change of the peaceful background music start to ramp up when you enter a dangerous area or something can be a nice touch.

However, I'd personally never notice it because I have the volume all the way down on that stuff. If I had a choice, I'd rather just have a check box to turn background music off entirely to save the bandwidth.

10. fragmeister13

fragmeister13 Avatar

Yes! Sorry, but I didn't see it until the next day after my original post. A lot of good ideas in that thread too. I think a lot of us have made it clear that anything to adjust in-game music would be a very welcome addition.

I understand the argument too of "Well if you don't like it then just mute it and listen to whatever in VLC or your favorite audio player." but I would much more prefer in-game options or even a clear guide of how you can cleanly do it ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.