Not hard enough...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have followed and supported this game for years on end. I have seen the difficulty change over time in various ways. As of the release, I honestly feel it is far too easy. I am not one of the players that took advantage of the system early on to gain superiority. By all accounts a normal player at release should be equal to me or better.

It is just far too easy, even for us retired gamer. If we are not risking the death penalty, then what is the point of playing? This is just my humble honest opinion.

2. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

To have fun?

Hamsta and Olthadir like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I suppose, but the appeal of mid-evil times is the treachery of both political and very real physical turmoil. Mid evil times were perilous and full of fruitless wonder and misery. While I do love the thrill of success. there is nothing quite as rewarding as surviving the turmoil despite itself. One should not be a king among men and women without have either earned or stolen such luxury.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

They nerfed the early difficulty significantly a couple of releases ago. If I were betting I'd say it gets raised again at some point.

The most skeletons I saw in Bloodriver Outskirts the other night were all from falling deaths. :D Where you can run along that big log with a break in the middle. Evidently charged jump isn't very natural for new players, there were stacks of dead.

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am sure you can find a way to challenge yourself, I can go kill myself and go and try and solo the ancient dragon if I really wanted to.

Nelzie likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Now tell us how you really think...

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

True, but at least with the early areas, it is kind of expected that they should challenge the player at least a little.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Tahru
    I have to ask what challenges (if any) you have found ?
    Do you routinely solo mob bosses ?
    What are you doing that's too easy ?

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I imagine the geisterser or however you spell it, will challenge a new player if they start in highvale then go to outskirts. Before, if you went there all the little frost giests messed you the hell up with the ice dot, so ya, it did have to be toned down.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I don't believe they are a challenge at all anymore. Could be wrong, but I think you can just let things beat on you for a considerable amount of time now, and be just fine.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Dont know about now, got no new character to try it with.

12. Bink

Bink Avatar

[dislike]

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I reset my quest status and did Blood River Outskirts and there were ghostly player skeletons everywhere.

Nelzie, Elwyn and belijaal like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello there Tahru. Yes I agree it is far too easy in some ways. I am not exactly pointing that we should do things like like increasing length it takes to level but we need interesting and challenging. For example we don't have obstacles. Every obstacle we had was shot down early on.

Like we used to get zombie plague. Heaven forbid we got a plague. It was actually kind of interesting. I think putting it in starter areas was a bit harsh for some but we still could have it. We don't get curses from touching cursed items we find. In fact we don't find cursed items *sighs* to try to solve the mystery. Our character does not react or get poisoned sometimes and no to bringing back puking sound but in other ways, and we should be able to die by drinking poison to raise our poisoning skills. These were things asked for early on. Details details details are really still needed along with other things of course too. The thing that we are lucky still is this game is still being actively developed. Devs are pulled in so many directions it is crazy.

I have a little fear that we are going to move on and not stop and get details in the game. I am only one voice. Please raise your voice with ideas so the Devs know if these things are important to players.

Like @DarkStarr thought fishing wasn't important to players to upgrade it. sheesh this is sad. If they don't hear it they don't know. So please if you are here involved and interested in getting in game mechanics in the game, please let them hear it here and keep on doing that. You might think they don't hear you but just wait and a while later you may be surprised to see your thoughts implemented when they get time.

We don't have cold weather that challenges us and could freeze us. Remember that area in Lord of the Rings that you couldn't even go to until you figured out how to not burn yourself up.

I hate that our consequence is xp loss. That has to be the most boring consequence ever imo.

I commented on another thread how one game in Particular called Project Gorgon is doing consequences and not even consequences but road blocks that are challenges. I'm not trying to be negative of this game at all. I really, really enjoy my time here. I am really looking for more depth in the game like finding that chest in Oracle Colossus that you just open, and that was so very boring that no secrets were there or a boss, or something. It was a let down to me, but they can fix that if we tell them. I love that area, I just want details of it fixed.

Death Effects and Diseases
    From Project Gorgon
    [​IMG]
    Three player tombstones or more make a graveyard for Necromancy's purposes.
    Contents
    [1Enter the Light
    Enter the Light
    Sometimes after dying you have the option to "enter the light." Just try it. It´s entertaining. It is also fast way of getting to Serbule Keep. "Enter The Light" option was first offered to my young toon on his 96th death.

Diseases
    Occasionally when your character dies or gets attacked by a diseased animal there is a possibility that the monster will pass on a disease to the character. These are permanent unless cured in a very specific manner.

Another way to get a dangerous disease is through a Power Word, such as Power Word: Leprosy.

Tombstones
    When a player character dies, a tombstone is left behind. If you are embarrassed about the way in which you were disposed of (which is minutely detailed on the tombstone for other players to read) you can remove it by interacting with it. Clearing your tombstone(s) is otherwise cosmetic, unless you play in Hardcore Mode.

Hardcore Mode
    Hardcore Death Penalty is an option available from the signpost near the well in Serbule Keep. When you die in Hardcore Mode, in addition to being sent back to a respawn point some of your items become broken. In order to use them again, you must take them back to the location you died. That is, you have to walk back to your tombstone(s).

A Comment from a website on consequences:
    MJ Guthrie (@MJ_Guthrie, blog): It seems to me that whenever games have tried to go back to consequences, devs end up eventually caving and removing them again because “players just don’t find it fun.” Granted, it was the players whining for real consequences in the first place, but once they are actually instilled in games, then players suddenly backtrack on that deep desire. I do not think it will catch on in the mainstream, but a little undercurrent of games with these features is certainly possible. Not only would the general gaming populace need to be retrained away from instant gratification tendencies, but devs really would have to embrace the value of smaller, niche games before consequences could really be a trend — even a small one — because right now,everyone wants the big payout, and consequences don’t seem to pay off for games. Personally, I would like to see consequences become more prevalent than they are, especially in the case of punishing rotten behavior.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Here's the thing: you can implement a self-imposed death penalty! When you die, delete your character and start over! Problem solved!

If that doesn't satisfy you, then this is not really your problem.

FrostII, Elwyn and Cock of the North like this.
  16. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

I wanna die more too. I was just thinking about how much I love dying. Give us more xp and more dura loss.

Death for all! I would enjoy the game so much more if I was dying lots....

?

FrostII and Vyrin like this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm not sure that I understand. It's pretty easy to avoid getting killed if that's your priority, but there's plenty of stuff in the game that's dangerous to anyone. I don't have any problems getting myself killed.

mass and Hornpipe like this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I also feel the "CHALLENGE" is not what it used to be... but not everyone games like I do, and I've come to accept the fact that OLD gamers like me who loved EQ, DAOC, AC, UO, DDO (still LOVE these dungeons) and NWO (still best action combat system in MMO I've played to date - for PVPers, just FLUID) - We are not the norm. Albeit it not for gamers like us, who modified Pong to have more speed and balls. Spent countless hours in the arcade playing Pacman, Gauntlet, Galaga, Defender, SF and all it's clones, original PGLer, Quake, UT and on and on... you would not have the industry we have today.

We craved a good challenge with balance in rewards. It felt like we actually accomplished something. Alas, most gamers now are phone gamers and want instant rewards... our days are long gone. I mean most of them don't even want to put up with games like WOW now, which when I beta tested and then abandoned because of it's simplicity, and never thought it would be successful (yeah I'm THAT guy)... the world proved me wrong.

They want these elaborate beautiful games to explore... casually! It maddens me! However, we have to accept it I guess. *sniff* I guess they are the ones that spend their money... but do they for a game like this? Because to me, it seems like this game is more appealing to the players of yore, who have deep pockets.... Only time will tell...

Black Tortoise likes this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There's challenge, and then there's slaughter.

Zombie plague was overpowered, really, because it was a DoT that basically never wore off on its own, unlike spider poison, especially in a starter area, before anyone could hope to level up Purify enough. It could kill you hard and fast. Also, the black cloud VFX with it had some serious performance problems for me. (Hopefully it was shared with another Death spell and since got fixed.) They should probably put it back, but not at a T1 place like Solace Bridge. Also, the cure plague potions have since been useless except to sell for money.

Or maybe instead of constantly sapping what little health you have in a starter area, it instead hit you with a negative stat until cured. As for making it communicable to other players (which they didn't do), that would not be a good idea in a game where you can't heal someone else unless you're in their party.

majoria70 and mass like this.
  20. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

This game needs more big one-way dungeons with big loot at the end. Traditional group hack and slash.

Almar and Oyjord Hansen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.