If you could unlink your Steam account, would you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fister Magee, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes I would! I know it is impossible, as that revenue has gone to Steam, just curious what ppl think?

I would regret it, only because the updates from Steam are a lot faster. Any way to speed up patching with the official launcher? Maybe after launch they will look into this, since this being my only reason to ever suggest linking to Steam.. (tho I admit, I took advantage of a Steam sale once on this game!)..

Leelu and Kabalyero like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

same as you... updating SotA is way, way, way much much more faster in STEAM... specially when there are big releases ^_^

Mitara, Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  3. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Patching is much improved over the last few updates.
    I don't have a Steam account but I can run SOtA in Steam to use the controller if I desire.

The only reason Steam is faster is because of the number of servers they have.
    That said, my last update from Portalarium was running at +700K down which is good.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

That is a reasonable speed, and should go up with more ppl (I think it uses Bittorrent to grab the files), and more ppl always play the game right after a release. In Steam, I get 2.3 Mb/s, so nice! I think I'll try the official patcher next big release! :)

Leelu likes this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I would. Steam update is nice, but that's the only benefit to it for me.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sota update has always been my internet top speed, for a looong time.

Why would anyone use steam is beyond me, this ugly capitalist system crushes good games *cough* with bad reviews and encourages commercial games without soul. Just like it is with small businesses in the real world.

Makes me SICK, only reason I installed steam was to play with Unity and Cryengine to see if indeed I could have helped with developpement of SotA... meh. I'm not even going to share my conclusion, noone cares anyways...

Net, Vrunk Hrrk, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Don't like steam.... Choose to avoid d it at all cost, until day of release. Took 8-10 hours to update the client where steam was an hour.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Nope, I like using Steam. Faster downloads, unattended updates, beta access, screenshot sharing, trading cards, achievements, etc. I avoid the Steam forums, but for playing the game its Steam all the way.

9. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

Nah. Not when I download patches at 18 Mb/sec through Steam. Besides, I like having my games all in one place.

10. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I havent found a reason to migrate to steam other than update speed so I likely won't be doing that.

11. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I have to disagree adamantly here. Indie and midrange games that might have never seen a store shelf have had incredible success.

Terraria, Crusader Kings 2, Starboard, Stardew Valley, Stellaris, Football Manager, Europa Universalis, Darkest Dungeon. These are not commercial games and yet they are wildly successful on Steam and in large part because of Steam. There are close to 8,000 games available. It's given new life to PC Gaming after stores like Gamestop/EB stopped carrying PC games. It's given small developers a chance to bring their games to a wide audience with a user base of close to 150 million people. Currently, on the steam store front slideshow, it's most prominent advertising position, there are 3 big developer games and 12 indie titles. One indie titles that had previous been featured on the main store front was Shroud of the Avatar.

Steam isn't perfect, but saying Steam encourages commercial games without soul is, in my opinion, wrong. There are brilliant games that have positive, glowing reviews made by small developers. Batman Arkham Knight, a great example of a commercial game by a largish developer published by WB had a 54%. The aforementioned Crusader Kings 2, a smallish Paradox developed game that is the antithesis of commercial has a 92%.

Steam has plenty of flaws, but encouraging commercial games isn't one.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i would not unlink steam.
    i have my primary game on steam.

i have my QA access install on direct download/standalone.
    i created a ramdrive of sorts for my QA install, so i hardly have any bottleneck for zone loading and the likes, and with the size of the game going up with every update, soon i won't be able to do the ramdrive thing either, unless if there is going to be some pruning going on after the game goes gold.

i wish i could have BOTH on the same steam account, honestly.

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

R34 for me:

Opened SOAT launcher. Got maybe 70K download. Let it run for 2 hours. restarted multiple times with no help.

Got tired of it, opened steam and it downloaded the full game in ~10 minutes and installed.

Let the original install continue, ~4 hours later it finished (after many more restarts)

Now I run both which works fine for dual boxing any ways.

Im keeping the steam version if for anything to get in the game fast after major patch.

Kabalyero and Fister Magee like this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good I'm glad some people are paying attention at my generalizations :p

Think about it, and I totally get where you comin from... could there be an open source program that does the same as steam without the artificial inefficient categorization system which had me find soulless commercial games and not ever hear about the games you mentioned ?

Yes that was a phrase :p

When I see steam I see it coming out of the ears of the gaming community, that doesn't mean as you say that steam is encouraging commercial games, but its letting happen with the unmoderated bull*$!& thats going on over there. I did try a few games, some very well done but I'm just being sensible, it sent me on a downwards spiral and I was traumatised at what got the best ratings, true story !

Sure it helps alot of people, if you don't want to see what it does is another story. :)

Its the same with the music industry, the movie industry, oh man we haven't finished if we start talking about how those industries fail :p

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Same for me. Use the strong features, avoid the forums.

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

The forum moderation is the responsibility of the developer (or publisher). Berek is the moderator on Shroud's Steam forums.

Moderating reviews is another thing. If user reviews are allowed at all, they should not be moderated unless there is clear reason to. I know of one negative steam review that was moderated for linking to a hate site (not the one you are thinking of ;)).

But moderation of reviews shouldn't be in the devs hands because it can too easily lead to negative reviews being deemed unworthy. As with any site with user reviews they should be taken with a slice of banana errr I meant grain of salt.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  17. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

Nope, I use steam a lot and enjoy play this game through it.

DancingShade and Fister Magee like this.
  18. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I would very much unlink it so it would be possible to sell my entire account.

19. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Steam has been and continues to bring games to Linux. I'm not a fanboy, but I do appreciate those efforts. In response to the OP, I wouldn't. I like tracking my time spent in game.

20. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

I wouldn't.

I like the quick patching and seeing the sota steam community from time to time. I've also no need for an option to sell my entire account. Items or deed sales will be good enough for me.

DancingShade and Fister Magee like this.
  21. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.