Returning Player who is Kind of New to this game.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by blayzefire, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blayzefire

blayzefire Avatar

Hi everyone. Well met. I say that I am a returning player because I am a Patron before the game had even thought of being launched, yet I do not know my way about or know anyone.
    I will try to keep this short but please forgive me if I do go on.
    I am a vet from Ultima Online who played mainly on roleplaying shards. (Catskills and Europa). Roleplaying + teaching roleplay is something I enjoy. I also tend to help lead groups and became a leader of a search and rescue group on Great Lakes for 2 years. So when it comes to leading, contributing and participating, developing storylines, and roleplaying, I do well. I do have one problem--I suck at maps and spatial skills. I have learned to put down my pride and just ask for help.
    Because of this new ability, I have returned.
    Ok, now in-game---I am at present having difficulty because I supposedly owe back taxes but I am having difficulty paying it in order for me to claim a lot.
    So my sad (violin plays) story is that I would love to pay this, claim a lot, get together with an active guild not far from Avillion, Xenos, and the like. Hopefully, this is possible.

In any case, any help or suggestions will be welcome as I look forward to meeting you all in-game.

Fare thee well
    Merri Glandriel

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I took another peek today to see if anything is different with your deeds. Seems you only have 2 now, one is placed as it was before, so that one you've figured out. The other deed, the village size, I was able to place it without issues with taxes, so perhaps someone has already helped you in-game. After testing, I put the deed back into your inventory and refunded some gold to your main gold stack since I applied some to the deed. I did get prompts that were explaining taxes, though. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing. Perhaps some screenshots and exact locations of lots you're trying to claim could be helpful if the problem persists.

3. blayzefire

blayzefire Avatar

Hi Elgarion,
    Yes, I figured that out. Thank you to everyone on the forum for their help and suggestions. I am looking now for a way to travel to Brittany but I am well a bit lost.
    Still, I will keep trying.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi @blayzefire. One good thing to know is about teleport to zone scrolls. They remember where you have been. If you like pm me your in game name I would be happy to help. Welcome back to the game. We've had a lot of quality of life improvements. In game global chat is one to ask questions. We also have a mail system and looking for group. So communication with other players has opened up a lot. I am majoria in game and I accept all friends requests.

Elgarion likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The best way to travel to Brittany is to use one of the large boats that is located at Aerie. That should be the closest to the area that Xenos is in (elysium). This large boat will also take you to a few more places including Ardoris, Mistendur, Kingsport in the Hidden Vale, plus more.

There is a boat that will take you to Aerie from the other docks area in Elysium (the island Xenos is on).

Welcome back!

6. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Am I remembering correctly from like 5 years-6 years ago when you couldn't get through the passes without entering the scene and then paying gold to the mage of mystery to port you to the other side?
    I got so lost on the overland map and had no idea how to get to the lunar rift, Stuck for most of the second free week thing they did in some outhouse in an NPC town :)

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

Wilfred likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

@blayzefire If you have in interest in storytelling, there is plenty of fiction over at the Fire Lotus Tavern | Shroud of the Avatar Forum
    For example, @Fetid SirDidy has started a SotA inspired horror story thread at SOTA Horror Fiction | Shroud of the Avatar Forum
    There is also plenty of fiction at Echoes from the Caverns - Powered with the help of The New Britannia Theater Troupe
    Also, Shroud of the Avatar - Express has started including fiction.

I have also recently returned, so have no doubt omitted other resources that I have yet to discover.

Elgarion and Wilfred like this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

There is a lot of fiction stories in game over on the island of Dara Brae including it’s history plus an interactive tour of the island. Dara Brae is located on Mistrendur.

Elgarion likes this.
  10. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

That's what I thought I was just remembering a time when you couldn't just walk through a pass on the overworld.

My biggest breakthrough was when I started asking questions in game and found out how helpful the community was. :)
    vj

Anpu likes this.
  11. blayzefire

blayzefire Avatar

Those people describing the early days of SOTA where travelling was well something to not to be desired...Thanks for letting me know that I was Not alone. I am keeping all your offers in mind.
    I am presently just learning how this game works before getting into roleplaying and going hunting. I am really looking forward to both. The kind of roleplaying I did was that I would present a story on a forum with an intro about my character and a lead-up to a story. I would hope that others would want to join. The story would have a setting. We would then roleplay it out in the game. At a certain point someone would write about what happened in the game roleplay on the forum. Does that match anyone else's experience?

Finally, I am trying to get to Brittany Fort etc from where I am. The problem is that I only have 2 friend scrolls so well sigh.
    I am also trying to find traders. Not easy.
    Cant wait to meet you all.

Fare thee well
    Merr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.