Timed Travel Map

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by redfish, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I did one of these pre-release when everything was changing from release to release, so I figured I would compile a new one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The times are based on normal walking speed calculated using my character using no speed buffs, although I have the Swiftness skill from Light Armor which gives me a +15.3% Move Rate at my skill level. I created a new character offline without this skill and the travel times seemed about the same, so I didn't bother adjusting them, although I'll adjust it if necessary.

The times are rough, since I wasn't worrying about accuracy to the millisecond. Paved roads and dirt paths appear in green, and unmarked routes where you trek through wilderness are shown in a pale white. The orange lines are the control point perimeters. Roving encounters, which may or may not be present in each instance, are marked with a red skull and crossbones. Some encounters may be missing. Most are easy to avoid by avoiding the road and taking a clipped path through the surrounding area. A few are harder since the roads are through mountainous areas, although there may be alternate routes.

PDF Version:
    Download here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

R55: I updated the map with a road I missed, a couple of encounters I missed, and markers for "port towns", so I could show the ferry route between Storm's Reach and Elementum, a way to get into the South Paladis area without going through control points or the lunar rift. (Elementum is a POT with a connected ferry, so this depends on its presence in the game).

Synergy Blaize and Aeryk like this.
  3. Tardis

Tardis Avatar

Nice.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Thanks for being useful

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Of note, Storms Reach goes to Elementum AND Braeside Castle. It’s right next to it.

Also, Braeside Castle does not have any devotionals, so it is never under siege, and saves you even more time.

Elementum has all the devotionals, so its basically always under siege.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Thanks @Jaesun

I'm working right now on a major update, adding the Hidden Vale, adding an underworld map, lunar rift timetable, showing control point perimeters, etc. I'm going to get it all to fit in the dimensions of a sheet of paper, and put it out in PDF form for printing ; just to let you guys know.

Jaesun likes this.
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Yes! I would love to see a regional traversing autopilot like system where you might walk up to a kiosk or just leave town and have a pull down list as to the regionally connected nodes/towns. Movement on the overworld map would be automated along tracks. Maybe you wouldnt see your character, you would see a horse or carriage/boat/flying ship. Flying ship would be cool to explain why you cant first person between towns if there are no tracks! nice little trick I would think.

Perhaps bottle necks you wouldnt want to have automated passing... only regional areas would be interconnected?

Ive been doing a lot of Eve Online distribution missions and im enjoying sitting back watching things unfold like a spectator. maybe watching a carriage or flying ship bob up and down along the paths, between nodes would be enjoyable. Just like watching a model railway perhaps. Copy eve's gate system but have airship docking ports?

Set something like that up you could have something like eve where some quests/contracts are player created and the act of distributing would become a profession a network that could be interferred with.

Closer to the OP's idea could be a fallout 1 style overworld map, But I think being a regional MMO, something like eve online supply networks would be a little more fitting.

Maybe regional conflict over some aspects of towns that can be fought over.. Could guilds embargo a town that produces a certain mineral? Could they wrest or extert some kind on control over a town?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That would be really cool! I would print one up.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

UPDATE (R55):
    As part of a major update, I not only added the Hidden Vale map, but also added a lot of other information boxes, so the timed travel maps and other information could fit on a sheet of paper, printable as a PDF.

[​IMG]

(See OP for download link.)

- Added Hidden Vale Map.
    Because I couldn't find a new version of the Hidden Vale map, I took an old map, and re-composited it using an image of the newest map of Novia to update the style and make sure it matched the Hidden Vale as it exists in the game. I also added map markers for the mysterious lighthouse and the Ruined Keep.

- Updated Novia Map.
    After re-compositing the Hidden Vale map, I figured I might as well update the original Novia map to put in the new Quel Shardfall and change the ferry routes to be accurate.

- Updated Encounters and Roads
    Added four missed encounters, and a new unmarked route going up from Vauban Pass to Rhun Ruins.

- Timed All Control Points.

- Added Underworld Connection Map
    Showing all the Underworld connections.

- Added Lunar Rift Schedule, Lost Vale Schedule, and Runic Cipher.

- Added downloadable PDF.

NOTE: With my my printer, and the bright green lines that I use for the roads come out pretty dark on the print copy. I'll see what I can do about this.

Jaesun, Retlaw, Jens_T and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wow, way cool!

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Good job @redfish! thanks for sharing.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Pretty awesome redfish. Now just give us an Orb of the moons artifact item and let us create our own Red Lunar Rifts :)

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I love this map! Great job, @redfish !

Jaesun and redfish like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great work, thanks for sharing this.

15. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, you actually pressed the slash key on the number pad in order to go into walk mode before timing these? Or do you mean "normal running speed" (because running is the default)?

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Is it running or jogging? :D No I didn't go into /walk mode.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

I keep this up in another fullscreen on the mac and it's helping me wanna time moongates for travel more.

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This is really cool and useful!! Thank you!

20. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Very nice work @redfish
    Brings back memories from all the places I visited.
    Small correction though: the ferry lines from Elysium are swapped: Xenos is connected with Etceter and a nameless place near the Elysium mines with Aerie.
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.