Complete mounting & mounted combat system - $60

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I'd imagine if the stretch goal for riding mounts is met, then there may be a follow on for mounted combat.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It seems very disingenuous to me to suggest that this would be anything close to a substitute for what will actually be implemented.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Disingenuous? Really? Why? The game has made great use of the Unity store and its assets to date.

Why, especially with a cut down crew, would it ignore something like this and reinvent the wheel?

Interested in your POV on that.

5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Anyone who does this sort of thing will tell you that implementing something like this may look like a shortcut but usually ends up being more work than if they had started from scratch. I really wish there was time travel so that I could go back in time when this project was just being discussed on IRC and I said "do it in Unity." that I could have smacked myself in the head NCIS style. The only excuse I have is that the end product I envisioned was much simpler than what we have. Excuses are like butts. Everyone has one however they all stink.

6. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

While it would be awesome to have, I also agree that it would be more of a hassle than it's worth atm. Fix/finish/polish the current combat system and skill trees first, then we can move on to this. Its a great idea, just don't think its time for it yet with the current problems of the skill systems/combat. Definitely needs more love first but yeah, having mounted combat would be great down the line. Now just the mounts part should be fine and don't think that would cause as much trouble.

Canterbury likes this.
  7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

And I agree with that, fully. But if they are committed and get the money, my POV is, "Guys, don't reinvent the wheel. At least look at this as your starting point..."

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Or even pay add a one-time of 10k to that developer for premium support and custom coding to suit with SotA code base. Portalarium will still have a profit after that.

nonaware and Canterbury like this.
  9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

would be having the same amount of issues in unreal as unity they would just be different imo.

the asset store is kind of a trap when it comes to these plug and play systems.

Nelzie likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

My opinion was always that having mounts and pack animals in Ep1 before launch would have allowed them to better balance things like movement speed and encumbrance capacity. Obviously that wasn't in the cards :< but I think the way they would fundamentally effect balance means they should be in sooner than later.

Brugas and Canterbury like this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Who knows that code best, but the guy responsible for it? 10K of coding support would be very, very useful to the devs at Port.

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It can be... however, it can also point the way to how a system can work, without the guys starting from a blank piece of paper and scratching their heads about it, too.

DeadSpider, Gregg247 and nonaware like this.
  13. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I agree with ya Canterbury so I did some searching on average YEARLY salaries of game developers, programmers, designers, animators and most of what I came up with was around mid 60-70kish a YEAR. Starting out upwards of 100kish I'm only guessing but I'm pretty sure SOTAS employees of this nature are paid less. And it should not take someone who has gone to school learned the correct programming skills to figure out how to make an avatar mount, dismount, horse animations and whatever else you want a horse to do. The amount asked is 250k $$$
    Let's hit a bitter spot amongst backers (I apologize to all current and ones not playing anymore)

22,322 backers pledged $1,919,275 to help bring this project to life.
    Original Goal was 1 million. Terrific Goal was almost doubled
    Have all Kickstarter Rewards been met?
    How long has that taken to have been fulfilled?
    They Officially Launched the game, "How has that gone so far 3+ months after launch?"
    Finally launching a successful kickstarter "Will the team be expanded to further their successful launch?"

I pretty much know the answer to most these questions I wrote I just wanted people to think about it. And I'm definitely not saying anyone hasn't thought about this. And this is not even the tip of the iceberg of bugs, fixes, and promises that have not been met.

Believe it or not, I'm not a hater. I Love the Possibilities and options that LB and DarkStar have put together for Shroud of the Avatar.
    I'm not downing any of the developers and the work they have done.
    I love the community the bad and the good.
    I love the fact that they seem to want to make the game a Players made Game
    I love the fact that I can use my items or sell them for IGG, Cotos, real-life cash or barter them for other items.

But
    You added a subscription OPTION which I absolutely love. COTOS and Obsidian Potions are well worth it. Titles and dye packs are cool but not my thing. Would rather see titles for achievements. and I wear Chainmail so Rusty patterns are all I'll ever need or want and I have enough for 50+ sets which I'll Die in real life before I ever use.
    What is good about subscription a recurring revenue for SOTA
    What is bad about the subscription at this point in the game and all that is going on with recent employees being let go and things not working as intended I think I'll just pay my 9$ a month and make popcorn and read the forums and just grind away whenever 2xp does not bother me whether we have it or not. I have always grinded in games and always will it's how I get to the top.

To end this banter why are we even wanting mounts when you can run from one side of the scene to the other, heck run a circle in them in less than 5 minutes?

I think we need a 250$k Stretch Goal to rehire some developers.

That's all
    Thanks
    Boo Ladedada

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I have no problem with the dev needing to raise 250k or whatever the amount they need in order to grow the game and make it better.

My concern is that it will never become fruitful due to the 250k amount depending on sales of very limited items. We do not have enough players to uniquely buy these items in large volume to meet up the threshold. If the plan is to add more items, then there will have to be tons of new items and/or something that worth buying more than one. These NPC pets will just be staying in the container or storage since they share the slot with player vendors. Currently, there is only one home deco. Even if there are more, how many home decos would one single player is willing to buy repeatedly?

If the dev truly wants mount to happen without costing legs and arms. A 3rd party unity asset is definitely worth considering for a jump start.

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Just so. At the very least they should look at it... study it... if they think they can do better with the resources and money at hand - fantastic!

If not, the 3rd party asset is sitting there, ready to go. $60.

Boris Mondragon and Rowell like this.
  16. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Because it's not as simple as buying a 60 plug and play app and then washing your hands of it. Initial development is one thing too, but it's not as simple as spending 50k or 100k on developing mounts and then washing your hands of it either. If they add mounts, they have to account for them with everything they do forever. It's a continuous never ending strain on the development of the game. That's why it's so expensive. It's a new cost that will never go away.

17. dayero

dayero Avatar

Honestly, why is this even a strech goal?
    Basically it's a deco item, just under your ass. Zero extra functionality as far as I can tell.
    If the whole system boils down to quicker movement outside of combat + animated horses with some footstep and ambient sounds: that does very little for the player and shouldn't cost 250k. If they could do it for 50k i'd say "what the hell, role play and all..." but for 250k... no thanks, next stretch goal please!

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's a pet now because that's what they can offer in the meantime. That means even if the stretch goal isn't met, you still get the items you bought today.

I don't personally think horses are worth pursuing either, that's why I don't plan to get anything from this stretch goals store (unless it's just something I want for other reasons.) Now playable elves on the other hand... that I'd like to be a part of.

Brugas likes this.
  19. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

As a developer that has a paying job working in Unity3D, I can say that using some Unity Asset Store assets is as simple as loading it into your project, tweaking a few settings, and letting it go.

Would the asset in question for horses work right out of the box? Probably not. There's the whole thing of being a network game, which means re-coding how the inputs are handled, as the commands to move are sent to the server for validation, and the results sent back to the clients. Would such an asset be a good starting point? Yes, it probably would be (that is, unless they can tweak their own character movement code, and add an animation state engine for mounted movement).

$250,000 for mounted movement (no combat)... You pay me that much to make it happen, I'll do it in a few months, then take the next two years off.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  20. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yes, but what's the price difference from using it for a personal project vs. using their intellectual property to earn revenue in an MMO scenario? Surely it's not just $60 for the animation asset or this wouldn't even be an issue.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.