New NPC Conversation Window - Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I just saw the update on the new NPC conversation window on the front page.
    I looks very good, definitely much better than how the conversations are presented now.
    Yet the text still looks crammed, like a protocol. It would be much easier to read if there would be blanks and spaces between what the NPC says and what we say.

Here is a comparison:

Original:

[​IMG]

My take on it with blanks/spaces:

[​IMG]

It would make reading the text so much easier and more pleasant.
    Aditionally different colors for the names of conversation partners would help, too.

By Tor, AvatarGG, Kambrius and 27 others like this.
  2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I agree 100%.

My wife was once a technical writer with a true style Nazi for a boss. She can spend hours playing with the kerning of a font till the spacing is just right for presentation. It's a challenge for sure.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I find it distracting trying to focus on the chat/status UI. In fact, all the UI boxes get in the way when they appear. I understand the need for them, but they always seem to be blocking what I want to look at. I never get tired of looking at all the purty scenery I guess. :)

Alexander, Grimace2, smack and 3 others like this.
  3. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I think it could use a little more to set it apart from the normal chat window. Maybe a different background. Something, anything so that it doesn't look like they simply moved the chat box to the middle and created macros to type words for those of us who won't / can't.

Tamsen, K1000, Sir Cabirus and 6 others like this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

It'd be great when they allow the chat tabs to be separated, creating separate windows. That is, if you have the screen space. :)

mike11 likes this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Great feedback on the spacing

Berek, K1000, Alexander and 9 others like this.
  6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

How often are there multi-NPC conversations in the game?

I wonder if it might be possible to cut down a lot of text by removing, or at least reducing the number of times, that it says:
    (to you)
    (to Bard)
    (to you)
    (to Bard)
    (to you)
    (to Bard)

Alexander, Sir Cabirus, Svahn and 4 others like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I like the spacing comment.

My only concern would be that causing more text to scroll out of the box when NPC responses are lengthy, causing excessive 'scroll back' effort at times to see what was said.

I know the new interface addresses the keyword issue. But I still want to read the NPC text, and sometimes seeing a few lines of NPC dialog at a time can be helpful.

Good work on the new conversation window, great progress.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

And have Scotty do the voice acting for every npc.
    But it is a step in the right direction.

9. smack

smack Avatar

Sweet, finally some love for the conversation UI. I think it's a step in the right direction, but yeah lots of work to do.

Is there any other logic to the keyword display or highlighting behavior? That is, if you've already clicked on / used the keyword, does the keyword turn grey or made different in some visual way than new ones not yet used?

Do used keywords move to the back of the list and new ones appear at the front? Otherwise with conversations that have lots of keywords, that's going to result in the same kind of scrolling issue, where you constantly have to click the arrow to get at newer keywords put at the back of the list.

Any option for a vertical list to the side vs. horizontal?

Even though the conversation UI is now centered by default, is it fixed or can it be moved and resized?

Agreed. I think they should continue to tweak not just the spacing but the font too.

Great suggestion. That may be left over from the previous design where all NPC text was mixed with all other chat and barks. If they're going to dedicate this UI to only the NPC you're talking to, then yeah that text can probably be removed.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree that adding a wee bit more line spacing would make the text more readable.

smack and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Looks great to me!

12. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

This seems like a good step in the right direction and it will be interesting to test it.

The spacing suggestion is a must have in the current look.
    And I wonder though if we couldn't zoom in even further and make the dialogue window even larger.

But, nice progress :)

smack likes this.
  13. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I'm pleased to see it being worked on and I imagine it can be made prettier once the functionality is closer to being fixed (no point working on nice graphics if things are added/removed later so the graphics no longer fit)

Improved spacing is a good idea and made me think, 'incoming' and 'outgoing' speech could be left- and right-aligned the way a lot of messenger systems do nowadays, for a little extra clarity; or have my speech slightly indented to set it apart at a glance. I'm surprised there aren't already different colours for different names in a conversation, which would also help, especially with more than two participants.

14. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

To be honest, I am disappointed about the look of the new NPC conversation window, I've expected something more. A different font like the font in the compass for example. Another background, a decorating border and so on. For me it is just the old chat window - now placed in the lower middle of the screen with some keyword additions :(

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

This is obviously a first pass and a step in the right direction. I agree with @Sir Cabirus that the fonts need to be prettier. As far as I'm concerned, please just totally rip off Elder Scrolls conversation windows. (I remember liking them in Morrowind and Oblivion, I'm pretty sure Skyrim is very similar).

Lord Dreamo, Hornpipe and smack like this.
  16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Still looks like a normal & boring chat window to me :D

17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I can't really see any difference besides some keywords at the bottom. It still looks like a chat window but in the middle of the screen.

18. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I'd like borders to be an option please. Move keywords to the right. See Morrowind for inspiration.

19. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

Are we able to enter our own text as a note about NPCs as we gather clues and information?
    Is there an option to offer an item to the NPC without being prompted? This could lead to "hidden" dialogue/side quests.

20. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

The current prototype screenshot shows the chat window over the torso of the NPC. Perhaps the camera could move down to show more of the ground so the chat window could be placed over the ground.

Also, will thee be an option to view NPC in first person mode or in 3rd person with your avatar displayed next to NPCs?

Are NPC dialogues linked with expressive emotes/animations as you enter keywords?

Are NPCs going to "reward" avatars who type complete sentences? Typing single words/clicking keywords separates chatting with other Avatars (human players) and NPCs in a way that breaks immersion for some. I am imaging the difference between using a smart phone to text/IM a friend and calling them on the telephone. I don't vocalize single words when holding a conversation.

Example:
    If I click on keyword WORK, the chat displays me asking "What do you do for work?" or "What is your occupation?" or "How do you earn your keep?"

Jonah Hayes and Vaentorian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.