Resurrection is the reason why all boss fights are easy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aetrion, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

My biggest question about healing is, if you cast off a heal before the damage from a creature hits the reciever, the heal should go off first. I've noticed that even when I'm healing, the damage from the creature seems to go off first even if I casted first. Heals are slow upon hitting the reciever, you have to wait for the health bar to fill up which gives the creatures damage a chance to hit beforehand. Heals should fill instantainiously upon hitting the reciever. This might help with cutting down the amount of times it takes to res everyone.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That sounds like a good question for Chris, but he's on vacay. You should submit it for the next livestream.

3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Except: It matters to the people losing XP if you suck at healing. You die... you lose XP. Regardless of if you res me, I'm losing XP. May not matter as much because of all the double XP weekends we've been having... but yeah. I hate dying.

Elwyn likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You and everybody I know, including myself.
    But hey, it's a perfect way to keep people from adventuring much.... :confused:
    Make them worry about dying, instead of going full blast having fun.

Lancell likes this.
  5. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

My kingdom for group content. There are so many acceptable well understood mechanics that can be used to force a strat. Why is it the only ones we use are:
    1) its got a lot of health
    2) it hits really hard

Have the Portalarium devs ever played any other MMOs? ever?

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Been there, done that in FFXI, and it's crap when everyone dies and nobody can rez and all you can do is click the little button that teleports you home, then spend another hour getting back to the fight. I saved more than a few runs because I was doing things "wrong" by having a white mage subclass and had cast reraise on myself. (That's a spell you cast that automatically rezzes you and you can wait to get up until everything looks safe... assuming you didn't die under something mean that ain't moving. Knowing where to die is very important!)

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I get what you're saying.

But tonight was a perfect example. We had an amazing guild hunt run by Pax et Fortitudo.

We fought dragons, and then 2 Aether dragons accidentally, and with much ferocity, at the same time! With much time and effort we defeat them. And it was glorious!

Then a few players had to go, and some potions ran out, during the next big (lucky us) 2 Aether Dragon Battle!

This one drug on, and on, and many many deaths occurred. I lost track of the number of times I was rezzed.

Eventually we retreated, went to the overworld, regrouped, and went back in. This time there was only one, we killed it with much effort.

End of the night.

Now first, a 3 party group fighting 2 Aether dragons is fricken amazing. That was fuuuuun.

Second, even losing was alright. But there came a point when we could have and maybe should have called it a few minutes earlier, we were fighting a losing battle. People died a lot of times, excess XP was lost (seemed decay kept hitting some people well past the one day threshold), time was wasted, and we burned a lot of resources that we shouldn't have.

If, when we kept rezzing, we got weaker at a rate that would cause the dragon to stomp us sooner, we ironically would have been better off. And it would have been more dramatic to be wiped than to be repeatedly half wiped and then retreat. A noble death instead of a haggard retreat!

We still would have went to the overworld, regrouped, and gone back in, but it would have cost us less before doing so.

In Shroud you're five minutes or less from almost everything, so it shouldn't take an hour to reset after a battle goes sideways.

Spoon likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

First, this was FFXI before they added teleport crystals everywhere. Second, herding an MMO party is much like herding cats. I actually was being generous to say half an hour. Often it was more like two hours.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well in our case we walked out and back in again. How about the rest of the idea? That there comes a point where you are not going to win, and in that case the boss should have the possibility of wiping you rather than this long dragged out chain rez that often happens?

(I know an occasional wipe happens, but I'd be surprised if it's very often once everyone has rez).

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The game shouldn't (and shouldn't have to) stop you getting bogged down by your own dumb actions.

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

True, but that doesn't mean that grand finales should be forever off the table either. It's nice to have a boss who can win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.