1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well add salvage option to all that crap would indeed make it more valuable ;)

Chatele and Cirsee like this.
  2. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yup you could search for what you wanted and buy it, but you still had to go to the vendor and pick it up. This used to cause me to look at what else was on the vendor and see the sites of the town.

Right now I spend countless hours looking for what I want and then trying to find it the cheapest.. only forgetting where the original was when I couldn't find another one.

Witcheypoo and Xandra7 like this.
  3. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I have to agree with this. Lua is great, but as patches for the game come out that nice player generated add on breaks and becomes unusable unless constantly maintained. Core systems need to be solid from the developer not the player. LUA is great for little extras or to make things look fancier, but core journal/quest function?!

Witcheypoo, Wilfred, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  4. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

If the core quest and journal overhaul is left to players to fix via Lua, yikes. You nailed it - new players are going to see Episode 1 quests first, and if those don't get fixed, making improvements only in Ep 2 doesn't do squat for new player retention. Wow and other games have nice Lua plug ins to enhance quests, but the core system actually works of out box. Again, most players aren't going to know, care, or want to use third party plug ins.

I keep wondering what metrics the devs have that lead them to believe that the state of the quest/journal system is not one of the key systems that drives new players out, and thus don't see it as a five alarm fire that so many of us do. Maybe it just comes down to how hard it is to rip out an entire system like that to fix it properly - they don't have the resources or money to do it. Thus the "we'll let the players 'fix' it with Lua!" march. Or that new players aren't actually a focus whatsoever, despite the lip service about them. sigh.

Vaiden Luro, Chatele, Xandra7 and 7 others like this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

@Chris Any chance the Exceptional marker can be displayed on crafted gear when you mouse over them on vendors and inventory? right now you have to ctrl+click to see it. This might help crafters that aren't able to compete with the enchanters and masterworkers, but are still willing to supply bulk exceptional crafted gear with no enchants or MW's on them. Guess it's not a big deal but would be convenient at first glance - or maybe a way to tell if the item is exceptional without mousing over it at all? some type of indicator on the inventory list of the vendor itself etc

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Elwyn likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Not the building, the banker.

Every town has a banker \o/

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Dhanas its not non-lua fluent people that will make the poitn and click stuff the rest of us will use.

It's guys like smack!

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

EDIT: Anpu already said this, cant figure out how to delete this.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm reserving judgement on the LUA thing. My hope - and maybe I'm completely misguided here - is that the devs understand that some of these features that LUA is going to address (quest journal, crafting book, etc.) are probably best done by players. Players have the thousands of hours of gameplay experience and know what they want that UI to look like and how it should function. So they're going to let the players build it. The next step is once that stuff is polished and working and all the hours to develop it has been done by someone else, for no cost, it can be adopted into the core game. That's a reasonable plan, provided there's follow-through, and a good reason to give players specific tools to build the things that the devs can easily integrate.

Quest Journal (and recipe Book UI) both really, really need help. Urgent help. The quest journal doesn't serve the one purpose for which it exists, which is players being able to reference where they are on a particular quest and what they are meant to be next. The quest system - what was intended to be a nostalgic, lightweight, non-hand-holding system that felt like natural conversation - instead became a poorly documented spaghetti mess of broken questflags, missing quest items, and quests getting into unresolvable states. Adding compass indicators and sparkles made it worse because often these were wrong, referred to steps the player already completed, or sent them the entirely wrong direction because there was no system to know which quest it was even hightlighting for. I absolutely thing it is imperative that the whole mess be stripped out and put back in once they've got a new functional system, and the quest journal documentation can be rewritten to suit alongside the actual quest tasks as they are presented to the player. Yes, its a lot of work to implement and test. But its so important. And I'd absolutely volunteer time to do aggressive testing on this system as I'm sure would others, if we knew that it would actually get fixed.

Vaiden Luro, Wilfred, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

while i agree the UI needs to improve, as somone who purchases from vendors regularly, my shopping experience sucks when i need specific item. Havign to manualy run around and search thru hundreds of vendors is a huge deterrent from actually using vendors rather than just asking in trade chat or discord and waiting for a response. I think a search function is just as needed as a UI upgrade

Chatele and arcdevil like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

And from what i Understand, if someone does a good enough job, the devs can just implement it directly into the game Via lua, right? At least thats what i've understood from all chris' talk on inky and LuA stuff. Its outsourcing.

Elwyn and arcdevil like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I don't disagree with that. But whenever a major vendor closes shop(s) because they are tired of the wrist pain that comes with thousands of clicks and mouse movements, your shopping experience sucks a little more. Eventually you can use a search and find the tiny amount of vendors left, but wouldn't it be better if the successful vendors weren't actively shutting down shops?

Another way to look at it, if gettin to the top of crafting, combat, etc makes you dread logging in and/or playing... fill in the blank.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot the way im looking at it is i think both things are needed. Which one gets done first doesn't matter to me and is a good sign that at least something is getting done. But as a buyer and not a seller, the Search will deffinately benifit me more. If all he has to do is make the info available to LuA ill be watching for a website or addon, THEN ill continue to gripe that i cant buy or sell custom quantities of things (which is my second biggest gripe)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Agree. If nothing else got added but just the ability to list a stack, price it per item, and let players buy the quantities they wanted as from NPC vendors, that alone would make me consider loading a vendor up again.

15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

On this note, I would like to see the major repairs not be on the ctrl click but shown as default. To me this stat has a huge affect on what the item is worth.

Regards
    Spung

Ancev likes this.
  16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'm fine with it being just a pot/city search, not regional or global. Don't show prices.

Elwyn likes this.
  17. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

It is my guess they don't have a UI programmer on board any longer. I think they originally took a while to hire one and I don't think the person stuck around long before launch. But if they could even give us something basic and ugly but truly functional.. LUA can clean that up and at least, when things patch, it won't break.

arcdevil likes this.
  18. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

You could still set up multiple vendors as a way to make the shopping experience better for your customer base, ie why make them travel all the way to your town when you can sprinkle your stores in several places. to the premium spots argument it sounds to me like your advocating for a select one or few people with "premium" spots to be able to dominate the market because they got there first and there is no effective way for others to compete against them. That system creates monopolies which bad for economies and for customers. Most of use are not going to the store to socialize. We go there because we need specific things and we just want to get in and get out. socialization comes in other forms as well as it should and as far as the trade channel, who actually uses that? I certainly don't. Not now or ever. I imagine some do but the question becomes is that a majority of players or just a small number. some games do player driven economies bad and some do them well. We should look to the ones that do them well to see what they are doing rather than reinvent the wheel..

19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So moving ships and ship battles from what I read moved over to EP3. Bah, reason mine went into storage. They are missing a great opportunity and will likely not sell many more ships or water lot deeds with that mistake. R/Boris

Chatele, Sentinel2 and arcdevil like this.
  20. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Sadly that is the way land was designed originally. Land rushes were just grabs to find the best high traffic spots first. So to be fair that is how it was advertised and expected. Of course that was when zone areas were supposed to be very hard to travel through. Now fast travel is easy and no specific town or vendor is really out of reach. Maybe if we implemented this system and got rid of teleport to zone options; it would still be fine to have a search feature where you still travel to the vendor to pickup your purchase. That way people will still look at purchases closer to the original to save time running around the map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.