Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unbreakable tools needed (or serious reworking of crafting)

Discussion in 'Release 65 Feedback' started by Mishikal, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

In testing out a brand new avatar with no artisan or prosperity tools, it's clear that the system is fundamentally broken. For example, just try and scrap several hundred items. Your tool will constantly break (since it takes a durability hit for every "scrap" you do), adding literal hours to the process of having to constantly repair (or replace) the damn tool. This is a major headache, and I can't even imagine how god awful it must be for new players to have to deal with something like this.

So I would suggest that either:

a) There be a possibility to buy a special unbreakable tool from the in game addon store for COTOs (clearly something that doesn't have all the pluses that artisan & prosperity tools do, maybe just 5% production speed increase vs the 10% from artisan/prosperity, and no success chance increase?)

or

b) Rework the crafting system. At the least, remove scrapping from causing durability hits.

If Port's looking for an easy win on making it so players stick around, this one would help.

rebbieforever likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I just carry 3 each of the harvesting tools in a bag. As they break, I then replace them. In doing entire runs through say, Serpent Spine Foothills, that’s more than enough for even several hours in there.

And that’s gathering all the resources available there. I’m only using the standard tools.

Elwyn and Amariithynar like this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I don't think you scrap things with those tools. :) Try taking 15 points of durability hit constantly (since apparently scrapping always does a durability hit). Then multiply that by several hundred weapons, etc.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, for scrapping, the hit for durability is just insane. They probably could lower it some, or perhaps add a new kind of engraving kit that ONLY adds some extra durability. Something. Anything at all would be helpful.

I really really dislike having to use a pay to win approach to deal with extremely frustrating basic tasks.... don’t care to see anything like that added. Just my opinion....

Need a new Atos challenge for the stream: Atos scraps 300 bows......

Elwyn and Mishikal like this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I suggested a minimum of 5k items, and I believe he already has artisan or prosperity tools, so he'd need to have regular tools instead.

Kaeen likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Of course, he would use the basic tool, and scrap all 300 of them...... 15 at a time. ........

Then he could see how much fun that is...... ;)

Mishikal likes this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I don't think 300 is painful enough. :) That's why I suggested 5k in a different thread on things the devs should be doing. ;)

8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I use engraved tools. Always have. I avoid doing huge salvage runs (how am I going to get paid?) and I don't do much in the way of crafting.

Sometimes my tools take 2 points of damage during a single action. That's kind of a rotten surprise.

I wouldn't be inclined to buy indestructible tools unless they can be engraved. However, I would be very glad if tool durability damage scaled with the complexity of the task: least for salvaging, some for refining, more for products.

Kaeen likes this.
  9. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

As a relatively new player still, while the cost of tools at the VERY start of the game was offputting, by the time I hit my stride and made my decision on how I wanted to play, I was carrying several of each of the primary tools at once and just swapped them out as I went, using tool repair kits if I ran out of a tool before restocking in a town (this was pre-UT runs as well, in case you might think that influenced my opinion).

The ONLY problems I have remaining are that scrapping can only be done in tiny 15 item batches, that it ALWAYS does a durability hit to your tools, and that scrapping any metal item that isn't rusty treats durability like as it drops metal is literally vanishing from the item (so a longsword with 1 durability is treated like it's a metal toothpick, instead of just a lump of metal that's been twisted, cracked, chipped, and banged up to the point it barely functions as a sword anymore). There's no point using anything other than burner NPC-bought tools for scrapping, at all, because of these three points. At least the third gives me a reason to use up all the repair kits I get as drops from humanoids.

EDIT: Almost forgot one more thing about scrapping that bugs me. There's no use for Leather Scraps, and there hasn't been since before my account was made in 2017 (I made it back then, but didn't start playing until I got the email the game was free to play now); you use what is it, 12 scraps with a hide to make a single piece of leather, when two hide makes two leather. One hide = 1 leather, so why does 12 scraps and 1 hide = 1 leather? It shouldn't. It's just wasting the scraps entirely.

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Off-topic for this thread. However, this has always been the case for this recipe, and bugs have been being filed on it for as long as I've been playing (2016). And I'm sure long before that.

11. Pablo Hassahn

Pablo Hassahn Avatar

As a matter of fact, Artisan tools are less useful than engraved ones in lots of cases. I use engraved and take up to 25 tool repair kits with me. Sometimes I have to repair tools during a big batch processing, but that's not a big deal. I am looking at my craft exp pool all the time anyway. :D

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

And that's what happens when you're rich. You spend 2,500 gold on tool repair kits instead. :p

I was including it because I said there were only a few things that bugged me about crafting and listed them. I also did explicitly state that it's been that way since before my account was made in 2017, as I'm aware of those reports that were basically ignored. :p

13. Pablo Hassahn

Pablo Hassahn Avatar

Well, I used to spend. Now what I get as loot when farming dragons, trolls and UT is quite enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.