What is going on?? A SotA Leveling Guide

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Themo Lock, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Many thanks, Themo! :)

Themo Lock and Gaelis like this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Found this useful, and have increased productive combat training due to the recommended zones! Thanks!

4. Slashburp

Slashburp Avatar

Thank you very much for your post. Very helpful for a newbie like me.

Themo Lock likes this.
  5. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Would it be a good Idea to have that maybe stick?
    Its really helpful for new players and already hard to find :)
    @FireLotus, @ DarkStarr

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Numa and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I've played in many releases and it's only now that I learned that charged attacks are possible. Imagine how it is for a new player coming in for the first time - specially in R25.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I've had to clean this thread up a bit. Please keep it on topic. Thanks.

8. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

hmm, I think I am going level up on the Root skill next release.. I did notice though the Death Feild is great for when there are many living things around you..( Not effective with undead ) I had once about 5-6 red spiders and I was with someone who got killed and I was surrounded.. so I decided to keep clicking on "Death Field" and "Spinning Attack" I survived long enough so by the time he got back I had weaken them all and kill some to a point that it took next to nothing to kill them after. ( Although I was completely out of focus at the end ).

The Death Field is completely useless against the undead, its makes sense as their attunment would make them immune.. What's better is "Searing Ray" and "banish undead" and Probably " Root" for the skeleton archers.. Not sure if there is another really good option other than just hitting the hell out of them :)

What I have been doing since my over whelming death at esceter Mines is build up my Death Attunment.. this has worked against the undead like the linchs.. when they cast a Death Ray on me its no longer has much effect on me.. Its like I am much less vulnerable to their death magic :) ( It still has some effect but not much compared to before and I am at only level 28 attunment )

FrostII likes this.
  9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I was at Forest Cave with "Sara Dreygon" and Marguerite fighting the Forocious Spiders there and noticed my Xp not growing that much.. I think its due to the level being a bit to high for me.. I am level adventure 66 with GM polearm at 103.. though we were a gang at one point partied up and I think I was getting good XP as I think I was sharing the xp with others right for My shared kills and theirs as well right?

I tried alone at the end but even with the Leash and Skewer trick and then going behind them I was still unable to do much damage to them compare to the damage they did to me, I think my hit ratio was off ( Too many miss versus gains ). I think this is how works right?

PS: I can take on 2 large Red Spiders at once with some Health to spare but not even close to 1 Ferocious spider..

How do we find out what level those ferocious spiders are at? and where or not its worth even trying to fight them at my level alone..? Is there a ratio?

FrostII and Sara Dreygon like this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

They are extremely high level and high exp. If i take even 2 people in a party anywhere else i am not gaining exp to my pool, in that cave i still fill the pool with a full party. The reason why it may seem bad at lower levels is that you have to hit them many times to kill them, therefore you are using up exp leveling those skills faster than you are getting exp for killing them.

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

@Odyssey2001 Themo is correct. I only have to attack a low amount of times (skewer and fully charged attack) 5 to 8 times and the only thing I'm leveling is armor weak points so I gain quite a bit and not much is used to "maintain" the skills I'm using because I'm not using them much during the battle. If I had to attack 30 times then I'd gain no XP.

Also, once you get high in a skill, turn it off because the extra little bit of buff isn't worth the XP drain. At some point you just have to turn the leveling of a skill off. I shut off polearms at 110 because 111 was too "XP expensive" for the additional 0.8% damage. Leveling too many skills or some skills too high can be counterproductive.

12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Correct... my Dex is around 30 so I don't miss as much... especially from behind.

Yes, we were splitting the XP but with four in the party it wasn't 25% each because there is a slight bonus for each party member... so for instance each player in the party of four might be getting 30% (Themo would know the formula better than I)... we were also killing them much faster as a party, especially with Margaritte healing.

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

@themo or Sara:
    Question 1: Have you observed a Gobal XP leveling up Saturation point for a skill per hit or kill. Meaning if I only enable lets Say 1 skill.. Will all Available XP ( ALL meaning Allocated for leveling ) towards that Skill for that kill go towards it? Also I am assuming there a specific skill XP leveling up Saturation point because if there was not all the XP pool would be used up after each fight..
    Eg below..
    Kill = 2000XP /number of skills available for Leveling ( Of course each skill has its own math depending on level your at as the higher you are the more XP is needed to level you up ) I think I am correct about this ?

Question 2: Is the Amount of XP given for a kill divided equally between the skills or is it "The higher the level is" the more XP goes towards it? I would assume the latter..But since I am not sure I though I would ask :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

This is what kills me about our current design style. But otherwise, thanks for the good info. Learning lots by reading y'all.

15. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

PS: I wonder if there are going to introduce " Spider Soup" Be good with a bit of salt,pepper and Tabasco. we can sit in the Cave in front a mother spider and drink it in front of her, "OH NO, Not my baby!" :)

16. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Thats why Its important to let others users know, I have often let others know ( especially newbies to the game ) how it works or answer there in game.. or even tell them to specialized in something by turning off skills..

PS: I am sure there will be a tutorials once we are near the end of beta.. so for now there is always the board and many videos and treads like this one ( Thank to Themo :) ) to help others enjoy the game at its present design..

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I do not know exact math, this guide is the extent of what i can figure out and reproduce. I did notice that some skills level faster and easier than others which i believe is intentional.

18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes I noticed that too. The Linche ( In the Death Magic ) for instance does not level up very fast compared to the other clickable skills. I am sure there are other skills like that as well..

Tahru likes this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Huge thank you to Themo Lock for writing this!

I don't know when the skulls were added or whose idea that was, but I am grateful. The scenes are easy enough to run out of when in trouble, but it is cool that we get a clue to the mob difficulty.

20. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes I like the skulls on a stick idea, I think it really fits the mood of the game and is great for anyone not familiar with the scene. As it grows there will be many more scenes and every bit counts when your new to game as this game can be overwhelming at first.. I was completely lost in the beginning which is why threads like this one are so important now.. I am sure the devs will make a tutorial somewhere down the line though. I have noticed though there are always tricks to the games that are not included in those tutorials which will still give room for threads and post of the like :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.