Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why are download speeds so slow?

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Dismayven, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dismayven

Dismayven Avatar

I am currently downloading patches and stuff for the game but it is downloading at less than 100KB/s. After more than 2 hours I just hit 1% at this rate it will take about 10 days to download, makes me want to close the program and move on to a different game...now it has dropped to 0 KB/s, and no it is not my internet connection or pc, everything else is running just fine.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  2. Dismayven

Dismayven Avatar

oh well, I thought I might come back and give this a try to see how it has changed over the last year but I am not going to spend weeks downloading it. I guess nobody here cares so neither do I. Deleting the game, taking my money elsewhere, I will advise all friends to not bother even visiting the website for your game. goodbye.

3. Emile Layne

Emile Layne Avatar

Im having the same problem

4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I recommend you download it via steam

5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I've been having the same problem for two days - it takes 24 hours to download the game?? Yikes! And no, I won't DL via Steam, as none of my accounts are Steam linked and never will be.

I ran tests with my laptop directly wired into the modem. I have speeds of over 200+mbps, but can only get the game to DL at 170kbps? There is something very wrong with this picture and I am going to ping @Berek and @DarkStarr on this. It is *not* my system causing this problem.

6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Couldn't find a torrent download for the SotA client, dont we have one? if so why not

Edit: @Fionwyn Wyldemane you should consider linking 1 of your accounts, I get download speeds at 75-80 Mb/s and you get auto updates which is nice :)

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ok, I am looking at the xml file. How does that help though? The last date I can find is May 4th - the last build date. Do we even know if this is working?

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" version="2.0">
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><channel>
    <title>Shroud of the Avatar Torrents</title>
    <link>https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com</link>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><description>
    Shroud of the Avatar game data torrent files. Thanks for helping to seed!
    </description>
    <language>en</language>
    <lastBuildDate>Thu, 04 May 2017 09:22:29 -0700</lastBuildDate>
    <pubDate>Thu, 04 May 2017 09:22:29 -0700</pubDate>
    <atom:link href="http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/torrents/SotATorrentFeed.xml" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml"/>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><item>

9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

For some reason, the torrent client in the updater doesn't always work well. It also won't begin downloading a file until it has been "advertised" somehow by the server. Whenever there's a monthly update, I get the torrent when it first appears, then leave it on the next day to help share it out.

My (Mozilla-based) browser shows it as a web page. Then I look up my current version of the right patch series and find out what the next one is.

Alley Oop and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  10. Alley Oop

it's an rss feed, not a web page.

11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I must be missing something. I still don't know how this helps determine if the torrent is actually turned on and working the way it should. Taking 24 hours to DL the game to do a reinstall is not right...lol.

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I must not be making myself clear - how does this help explain why the DL speeds are at less than a snail's pace and how does this information tell us if the torrent site is even working properly?

13. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

OP was talking about direct download im assuming as I am currently downloading the game client (linux, osx and windows) at 12Mb/s

14. Alley Oop

i would guess that right now dl speeds are slow because there aren't a lot of people sharing the file this far after its release.

what do you mean, THE torrent site? that's not how torrents work. this link is where the advertisements for the initial seeding occur, but it's not meant to be the only source.

15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

How are you downloading? Via Steam or via direct? My point is that I have the *same* problem as the OP. I am not going through Steam.

16. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I only download from the SotA link. Don't use Steam and don't use Torrent (whatever that is). I suspect most new players will do the same. Unfortunately many will refuse to put up with 12 hour downloads and just move on.

Vox Aquila and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  17. Alley Oop

if you mean the patcher, you ARE using the torrent. it's just a different front end.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  18. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

ok so Steam 70+Mb/s
    Torrent 12Mb/s still not slow by any means

19. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

LOL! Imma pull my hair out :p I mispoke when I said *the torrent site* sorry about that. All I know is I am having a shitty time trying to DL the game and reinstall it. I have never had this problem before and whether it's a torrent not, whether lots of people are downloading or not, something seems amiss.

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is where the torrents come from (I presume you know how torrents work: you get a .torrent file that describes the real file) and lets you bypass the problematic client in the patcher. Once you have downloaded the torrent with a proper client, you have to put the file where the patcher expects it.

There are other problems with torrents that haven't even been mentinoed yet. Some ISPs throttle them for various reasons. I have also encountered problems where if you aren't sharing outbound (like when nobody else is downloading), you might get lower download priority.

Also one thing that needs to be mentioned: if you resume a download, it might sit there at 0% during the time it takes to re-check the existing file. For zero-based patches, this may take a while because it basically pre-allocates the entire file. Even if you downloaded 1%, it has to check the entire file before it can participate in sharing the torrent.

Summary:
    - the patcher includes an embedded bit torrent client
    - the embedded client has performance problems
    - your ISP could be affecting your download speeds too
    - some people bypass the client by manually downloading the patches via a regular bit torrent client, but this is not trivial

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.