A switch to Unreal Engine.

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Lathiari, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dayero

dayero Avatar

Lol. I think 250k was their monthly burn rate back when SOTA still had developers. Unless that all went to hookers and british back in the day I think you'd have to double that a few more times. For example, Rocket League is working on the switch from Unreal 3 to Unreal 5 for more than a year and they have ressources on a completely different scale than SOTA ever had. Right now I'd be surprised if SOTA manages to transition to a newer unity version during it's lifetime.

Cordelayne, ephialtes and Katu like this.
  2. merlinfire

merlinfire Avatar

The new unity update is either on QA or about to be on QA, innit?

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Unity is vastly easier to develop for than Unreal. I always thought it was comical the Tech Lead complained constantly about the SOTA development engine. Guess who was responsible for CHOOSING the SOTA development engine?

Spoiler alert: Unity was never the issue with SOTA development. No way SOTA can ever transition successfully to Unreal.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Cordelayne and ephialtes like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

no but the issues with unity did drive away a lot of people because of lag in the early days on early unity builds. with the last few updates to the engine the last 7 years things greatly improved. frames went from 6fps early days in pots to 35fps+ today. loading was another issue the time for assets to load early days was scary long. haha I remember waiting over 1 min for some places to load. today 20 seconds for heavy load scenes. the new unity about to be on QA is to have reduced that further based on internal testing information. So we all looking forward to the new build which also opens up new shaders, VFX and more. just taking longer than first through to convert everything and update the code from the information I got. so hopefully soon we can test as the month end comes closer real fast :)

Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally would never start a project in .NET.

Xee likes this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

A poor craftsman blames his tools. Unity was, and to some extent still is, a poor choice for a MMORPG, when I saw it groaning under the load Tyranny, a single-player isometric RPG, yeah, you don't go building on that platform and then pretend it's the platform's fault when problems arise.

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

or its like saying I bought this tool being told it would do what I asked but then when the time came to do the job it could not preform to the specs I was told. The engine was never designed for a project of this size. this is the largest game made on unity. mind you the craftman did want to get access to the source to fix the bugs but the cost to even look at the source was too much yet alone the costs to have them correct it. If you give a craftsman a screwdriver to pound a nail it he will still try if that is his only option ;)

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  8. Katu

Katu Avatar

It was said to be largest, when measured by project file count and/or some other similar way.
    However, it is not largest game made with Unity, by installment size, player base, project cost, team size nor any other meaningfull way.
    It was (still is?) largest money machine at kickstarter thou.

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Better analogy would be a craftsman with a modest amount of experience building IKEA furniture running into problems when IKEA fails to stock the 17th century colonial furniture he's promised to deliver. His solution is just to buy any IKEA set that even looks remotely like the intended design and just kitbash them together in hopes of delivering something close enough to what they promised.

FBohler likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

<<<After reviewing forum decorum, biting tongue, and successfully resisting posting current event analogies. I'm one proud turkey.

Wilfred likes this.
  11. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Seems it's not even the earningest kickstarter RPG with "Avatar" in the name anymore... I guess even if you're the first to achieve something, a lot changes in a decade. It's not uncommon that pioneers achieve little more than being first, so I'm impressed that the devs have managed to do much more than that. Amusingly there's a modular table project that earned 4x as much on kickstarter as Shroud did, though I have no word on whether they're sourcing parts from Ikea.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    merlinfire, Sean Silverfoot and Xee like this.
  12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

yeah I suppose unity is like IKEA, they have a lot of drop in parts for sure :) , yeah I was looking at KS games as well Coswald to see what other projects were back than and came across a board game remake that was even more successful not sure if that is the same one you refer. I think SOTA was one of the first larger ambitions to make it out of the gate with a working product where many before it still have not product or never came to be.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

I think Star Citizen was right around the same time if I recall, so...

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

SotA was riding the wave of nostalgia games kicked off by Doublefine, and with a bit under $2 million raised they did well but it was certainly not setting any records. Not to mention the whole "the game they sold on Kickstarter wasn't the game they decided to build" angle, but that is an entirely separate Fråga.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    VZ_ and Cordelayne like this.
  15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Garriott's and Chris' new game gets developed in the very same Unity version that SotA is migrating to.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is their first game we must have some patience. I’m pretty sure all this will be sorted out when beta has been completed.

Idk why they picked this platform someone was saying tons of pre-made stuff and already set up assets would help jump start it so that might have been it.

would be cool to get a fresh/new server option with a crypto spin to it.

17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Greyfox, FBohler and Katu like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For anyone interested, Godot 4 beta 1 was released today. I believe that with v4.0, Godot will achieve critical mass.

Wilfred likes this.
  19. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

imho there is no need nor any chance of migrating to other engines.
    With the unity as they say, there could be a atotal overhault of shaders, since they have at least to tweak / migrate them. Shaders are what make games good
    I messed years ago with injecting shaders in sota, with reshade access to framebuffer depth, which is not really agreeable maybe, but just for an academic purpose
    Those were Pascal shaders (RT and GI mostly, some DoF).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sota-depth-fx.155391/page-2#post-1236731
    With new unity shaders there could be such cool things

20. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.