1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Custom Avatar Head now Lord Forged Items

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

I guess it’s a no-brainer that those who were promised a customer avatar head, which may have underpinned some of their purchase decision making, are going to be disappointed. However, there are invariably going to be times when the plan has to changedue to present conditions. I imagine that this is an announcement by the good people of Portalarium that both was difficult to make and not made lightly. If there was any other realistic way of doing so, the original promise would have been kept, however this seems to be the best option available. If that’s the case, fair enough, I trust the team enough to do the best with what they have to support those affected. :thumbs up: . These things happen.

I guess that the success of this will be down to implementation. Honestly I’m not too worried. The team has done a good job from my perspective on handling POT updates, I’m sure some of those good skills will be put to good use here. It might be worth the team being proactive directly reaching out to those who may be expecting a makeover proactively to ensure that they’re looked after. Not everyone watches the forums and some of those affected are likely to be significant backers, probably worth giving them a hug. :)

2. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Just to confirm, what is meant by ‘custom’. Are we talking customised skins/effects, a custom item name, or just with LB’s Darkstarr’s name on it as the manufacturer? Sorry I’m being dozy. :)

3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

A crafted LB/DS item which may have a pattern applied.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Will these items be account bound so us who also play offline can have these in offline mode?

5. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Still not entirely sure what that means. :) I’m guessing an item that’s in-game which will look different? If it’s an everyday item that it’s happens to have a made-by LB/DS sticker on it, that might not land well. There probably needs to be even a token nod to giving people something which makes them feel special, in lieu of their Duke-level face lift.

Again could be worth the devs engaging proactively and directly with those affected to both convey the message and collect feedback/requirements on whatever custom option is being provided. To coin a bit of Star Citizen phraseology (sorry), it probably wouldn’t hurt to wheel out that ‘concierge’ feel to keep the rabble happy. :)

Lace likes this.
  6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Hi Duke Vallas, my understanding is that the crafted item just has their markers mark on it either saying "crafted by Darkstarr" or "crafted by Lord British" there is nothing else overly unique about the item itself as it will just be a regular crafted item that player crafter's would be able to craft. Along with that the item appears it will suffer durability damage like a normal wearable and will lose durability over time, so I guess most people will not even regularly use the item unlike a custom face which you can show off at all times. The item you choose will most likely just become a decoration item in your house.

Also to add insult to the Dukes, these crafted items by Darkstarr and Lord British have occasionally been auctioned at charity or fund raising events in the past. And I would say that they plan to do this again in the futurem. So the item has nothing unique about it to identify it as a duke level pledge reward.

7. Lace

Lace Avatar

What about a heraldry table and heraldry set of thrones to go around it like a set of 4-6 thrones and the table? And NOT put thrones and tables on the add on store? Duke accounts if I recall had a unique table with them and we have seen patterned thrones as telethon rewards. I say not in store because the head was special so whatever the replacement it should be special not just a dev made item.
    I know @Fionwyn Wyldemane mentioned thrones which I liked .. but the idea of a round table to match is nice.

Also if the dukes want additional items of similar the option to buy those would be nice (and we still support the game a bit more and we still have an item that is special) THat may not fit the add on store model, but again it allows more support of the game and with a special item.

Just throwing some options out there versus something that breaks.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Probably not, because that depends on the rewards system, which depends on them being in the list on your account info, and on the game knowing how to set up the item data when it ports the item in. I don't think knows how to set up special attributes on an item.

9. Duke Gréagóir

Just think the custom head would be worth about $500 - $1000 of our Duke pledge.

10. Duke Gréagóir

I would prefer darkstarr to answer instead of speculation from the backers. EDIT - no offense to you Elwyn.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    David J Thompson and Lace like this.
  11. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I agree Duke Greagoir, the custom head was of more interest to me than the larger property deed even. I think a few Dukes upgraded especially for the custom head

12. Lace

Lace Avatar

I can freely admit it was for the larger house, but I did have plans for that head(s) as I have played many games and have some 'looks' that well define me as a player across games. Now if the New You store had more choices I would not perhaps be as disheartened as I am, but with the 'company' status I am not sure new hairstyles or better sliders are coming anytime.

13. Duke Gréagóir

I know I did as it, was very unique. The larger property deed was nice ( at the time it was a city lot deed not the keep lot deed - the keep lot deed change came later).

Duke Albert and David J Thompson like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Very disappointing.

Not sure how this could be deemed a suitable replacement for such a unique pledge reward. Having your own avatar head was a major feature of the pledge level, probably only second to the keep deed.

It’s seriously taken this long to decide it can’t be done? No real discussision with the donators who literally handed over thousands of dollars............you seriously just announce this is what we are getting?

I guess I’m just far to cynical for all of this........

Hobson’s choice.........and quite frankly it sucks.

15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

:)

David J Thompson likes this.
  16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It's the proven track record I've come to expect. :(

Wait until it is completely too late to deliver what was promised, create a new item for replacement, let the customers know the fallout.

If I handled customers like this in my line of work, I'd be out of customers and a job pretty fast. o_O

17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

As happens with many kick starter games, promises made go by the wayside when teams see what it will take to actually make something come about. This isn't the first time it has happened and will not be the last time either. So for those keeping counts of how many kick starter promises have already been overturned, you might as well stop. Yes, I mean you over there. And those two behind those bushes. You will frustrate yourself for things out of everyone's control. Not everything planned can be realized when time, money and code are involved.

Elwyn and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  18. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

How about giving us account bound personal bless deeds , which you can use to "bless" one player made in game item to give it indestructible durability (Like the prosperity tools) ... Once the item has been "blessed" it is locked to your Duke character so you can use it for 10-20 years down the line still... Giving us items that suffer durability damage , if we chose to use them regularly (which to be honest , who would do that?) The item will be useless after 1-2 years of gameplay at best... All the Dukes and LOTM have been invested in this game for the long run. So now its not feasible to give us Duke heads? OK well fine I get that, but how about giving us something truely unique and something that reflects the nature of us wanting to be around playing for the longer term? You could argue that an indestructible item is too over powered? Well... Its better to compensate us with a reward we actually want rather than a consolation prize that is underwhelming... And hey, well you know you can get indestructible tools in the game the prosperity and artisan tools are indestructible , so I don't even know how overpowered an "Duke level, account bound bless deed" would be?

Pebbles, Vermine and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  19. Albus

Albus Avatar

Perhaps a "We cannot do that" announcement along with requests for alternative solutions would be more welcome? The substitution seems uninspired relative to the original offer, and unrelated enough to potentially hold little interest to some. I would suggest that the customers should have been consulted regarding potential replacements beforehand, at least, rather than the initial problem come announced with a potentially very disappointing solution included without any prior discussion of potential alternatives with those impacted.

20. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Wow and lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.