Mingo's White Raven Inn

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Cafe Istanbul)--Emiko and Tomoko, in their human guise, resembled slightly built Oriental ladies with masses of black hair piled atop their heads and held with two hairpins (which actually were slender daggers). Mingo knew they could shape shift into much more....fearsome....creatures. Emiko spoke rarely, Tomoko less than that. Emiko shyly asked Mingo (in her Southern drawl....wherever did she pick that up?) "Ah don know th 'Red Hat Gnomes' story Mr. Mingo."
    --"Ah so desu," Mingo said happy at the prospect of a new reader. "On the porch of the inn are many logs which contain 'Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes' Part 1,2,3." note: copy of the logs are back in Fire Lotus Tavern / Library / Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes.
    --"Arigato," Tomoko said with almost a smile, and the two ladies ventured out across the rapidly drying cobblestone lanes toward the White Raven Inn.
    --Arkah Empstrike at this point spoke to Mingo. "I saw my portrait on the wall behind your performing stage," he said with a smile. "I was honored."
    --"That was you in the portrait?" Mingo asked somewhat perplexed. Somewhat perplexed did not answer, but Arkah did, "Yes, holding the lute."
    --"Pirate loot?" Lilith butted in with the perspicacity of someone with intelligence beyond their years.
    --"I spent all mine building the inn," Mingo said shaking his head.
    --"Lute, l u t e, this thing I carry on my back, Mingo has one too. It's like a guitar, only harder to tune." Arkah explained
    --"Oh yes!"Lilith nodded. "Mingo spends half his time tuning his lute, and the other half playing out of tune."
    --Mingo grimaced.
    --At this point a rarely seen person appeared in the doorway to Cafe Istanbul. It was Chiasma, the mysterious master of the large castle on the hill. "I moved the shrines away from the stream," he informed those in the Cafe. "They are now up on the hill in a semi-circle around the big Sakura tree, and the Chaos, Gaia and other such shrines encircle the tree."
    --"Good thinking," Mingo said respectfully.
    ---Suddenly small explosions were heard outside, the Sakura trees were literally bursting into bloom. Spring had arrived.

Lily Byrd, Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  2. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Outside Cafe Istanbul, between the Cafe and the White Raven Inn)--While Jason and Crescent napped, Gerta and Lilith continued straightening up the main room of Cafe Istanbul. The others walked outside to admire the rapid onset of Spring. A line of small Sakura trees grew between the two cobblestone paths that lead from the stream up part of the way towards Chiasma's castle, ending just past the crafting area.
    --Arkah Empstrike walked over to sit on one of the benches placed on the front porch of the Inn, and perused the songs offered by Mingo's npc vendor, who had stood in the cold without complaint all this time. "Oooh....I like this one..." he mumbled as he purchased one of the inexpensive (300g ea) songs Mingo offered.
    --Emiko and Tomoko sat on one of the other benches, reading the logs of "Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes". Looking up to see Mingo and the others walking toward the inn, Emiko said to Mingo. "Ahm gonna have questions. Copious questions."
    --"I'm not Podric," Mingo shook his head, "but perhaps I will be able to give you answers."
    --"Podric?" Frida asked in an inquiring and suspicious way. "Who iz that?"
    --"Oh," Mingo said rolling his eyes a bit, "A bard from an old story, who sang a beautiful story about Jenny of Oldstones and her ghosts."
    --"Wasn't he famous for another ability?" Arkah said with a smirk.
    --"Shoo shoo!" Mingo chided the smirk, chasing it away. "I choose to remember him as a bard. I think I have a wax cylinder of him singing."

Lily Byrd, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the White Raven Inn)--It was later in the week that people seemed to be drawn to Mingo's White Raven Inn. Old friends, rarely seen now. Some even have their portraits hanging on the wall (shout out to Cordelayne). "Wasn't it freezing and snowing just a few posts ago?" TimeLord mumbled. "Even I am having difficulty tracking time...."
    --Mingo sat in a simple chair on the stage, which was littered neatly with sheet music of songs anyone could play. He played some new tunes he had found; but the crowd had gathered not for the singing of stories, but rather for the telling of songs.....songs of old times before Novia was firmly formed, when speculation caused musings about slightly different metaverses which did not make it, but rather circled in their own eddy of reality.
    --One such speculation involved Gnomes; a speculation which branched away from today's Novia. Now Mingo TheBard sought to verify what his old friend, Krisskar (father of Frida) had told him long years ago. "The strength of battle is not in the sword, but in the song!" The beginnings of this story are in the logs "Tale of the Red hat Gnomes" if you have a week or two to read them.......but perhaps a short synopsis can be displayed.
    --"Where is that Short Synopsis?" Mingo called in an irritated voice to his apprentice, Frida. "He is missing his 15 minutes of fame!"
    --"...dunno..." Frida muttered, standing behind the small serving counter noisily munching some freshly delivered rabbit carcasses (uncooked). "iz he like a couzin to a Tall Tale?"

4. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the White Raven Inn)--Mingo sat in the simple chair on the stage and lit his great meersham pipe, blowing three smoke rings. "Well," he almost began.
    --"deep subject for a shallow mind," TimeLord said with a grin.
    --"Keep yer grin silent!" Mingo exorted. "don't need any duets of comments from the peanut gallery."
    --"I want some peanuts, "Elgarion spoke, looking about. Tomoko and Emiko, duty waitresses shrugged and shook their heads. No peanuts in Novia it seems.
    --"how about roast salted pecans?" Gerta suggested.
    --"that sounds wonderful!" Lord Elgarion replied.
    --"Glad you agree, how about making the recipe available then? We got salt, we got pecans, we got cooking station."
    --"Oh," Lord Elgarion said, crestfallen.
    --"Here ya go," FireAngel said, picking up the fallen crest and returning it.
    --A small toy triain chugged along the floor and out the front door.
    --"Lost me train of thought," muttered Mingo.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Lily Byrd and Time Lord like this.
  5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the White Raven Inn)--"You have zame problem az me," Frida said pointing to the lazt, er last post.
    --"Huh wha?" Mingo blinked uncomprehendingly.
    --"good scrabble word there, author," Bov nodded with approval.,
    --"You did not change the colour of text back to white. I did that acouple of poztez ago," Frida explained.
    --"Salted roast pecans....." Lord Elgarion made a note. "maybe in a patch down the road...."
    --"Banana pudding would be good," FireAngel said peeking at the notes Lord Elgarion was making.
    --"say Mingo," TimeLord prodded, "How about them gnomes?"

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the White Raven Inn)--The time had come at long last. Mingo passed around copies of one of the logs, https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...le-of-the-red-hat-gnomes-part-3.159244/page-6 and said, "You might want to refresh your memories a bit of where we left off in the Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes."
    --"Gnomes with tails?" Father Sarducci said.
    --The patrons groaned.
    --Mingo lit his pipe and puffed out a Chaos Emblem smokering. "Once you have had time to remember where we were, I shall begin."

7. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(On the Isle of Feinantz-home of the Red Hat and the Blue Hat Gnomes)--Mingo here talks without quotes as he recounts events in the past, using quotes only for actual conversations.
    --Preceded by the security detail that accompanied Princess BlueBell, Hamster, the Princess, Lyra and Mingo walk a bit up the coast to an inlet that lead into a cavernous cavern.
    --"Are there any other kind?" Bov interrupted. "And shouldn't you change the colour here?"
    --Ignoring Bov and wondering about colour Mingo continued his narration of events. Along a path beside the water they walked until the small ship, PossumRose could be seen in the faint light within the cavern. Lyra was obviously relieved to see her boat and quickened her pace, reaching PossumRose first. A diminutive gnome.......
    --"Are there any other kinds?" Bov again chuckled.
    --........greeted them, it was ShipWright of the Blue Hat Gnomes, an old salt. Literally, his composition was predominantly rock salt.
    --"I bet he used salty language!" Bov again interjected.
    --suddenly a dozen logs were hurled at the Celtic Interrupter in good fun, oh well.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What a very interesting turn of events indeed! It's always amazing to see how coming close to the time amplifier can effect a person ;)
    :eek: One just never knows what can pop out of the past or back from the future when coming close to that thing!

[​IMG]
    Brave On! Indeed! Brave on with the tale cousin Mingo...

Who knows, we all may even need some new blue hats to wear from our wiz wizard Elgarion to try on for size :D!'

Lily Byrd, Elgarion and Mingo like this.
  9. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the White Raven Inn)--FireAngel spoke up. "In defense of Bov," she pontificated, "I think it is somewhat unfair to subject him to such 'words in his mouth' comments when he isn't here to defend himself. He isn't even lurking!"
    --"but then," Mingo noted, "Many of you aren't actively participating or even lurking at this moment. I hope you all do regain your former active participatory roles."
    --"Someday....," TimeLord said. "Someday"

10. Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci Avatar

I think maybe he goes to fall in love with one the gnomes after this... He's some kind of guy hu? I like this story!
    [​IMG]

Lily Byrd and Mingo like this.
  11. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(On the Isle of Feinantz-home of the Red Hat and the Blue Hat Gnomes)--As the rest of the group approached ShipWright and Lyra they overheard the ongoing conversation. "....aye we cleaned the bottom slicker n a whistle," ShipWright was saying. "While she was hauled out we also diamond coated the hull."
    --"Diamonds?" Lyra replied increduously. "What do you mean?"
    --"Tis a very fine coating, clear and hard; me own special formula. Goes on like paint it does. No more barnacles for PossumRose."
    --"why, thank you!" Lyra said still puzzled. "Did you make any other changes to my boat?"
    --"A few," the small salty gnome said. "Yer batteries be replaced with some of our own, four times the energy storage. Maintenance free, life time warranty."
    --"What if they fail?" Lyra asked.
    --"Then their lifetime be over."

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(at Mingo's White Raven Inn)--Emiko stood to get Mingo's attention. "Here you go," Mingo said as he handed it to her. "did you have a question?"
    --"Ah so des....what kind of boat was PossumRose?" Emiko asked.
    --"Possumrose...was amazing.....sails and an electric motor that could pick up the waves in the air....here, scroll down until you get to the video and see for yourself."
    --A kind of magical screen appeared and the video began (but you have to go find it sorry).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ale-of-the-red-hat-gnomes-part-i.7136/page-16

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

14. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In ShipWright's Cavern on the Isle of Feinantz)--"Daddy!" Princess BlueBell exclaimed, rushing to a small party approaching the location of PossumRose. King Dohlar hugged his daughter and chuckled.
    --"So glad to see you, BlueBerry," he said in jest.
    --"Blue BELL," his daughter corrected him in what must have been a running joke between the two of them. "We are fewer now," she said, indicating the small group near the boat. "Krisskar eloped with an Apsara, and Jeb, Shania, Ed and Terra are with the Green mole of the Guaca Desert."
    --"Green Guaca mole eh?" King Dohlar said stroking his bearded chin. "reminds me of a condiment."
    --"We live in caves," Hamster said dryly. "Not condominiums."
    --"Please refrain from discussing prophylactic devices," Lyra intoned.
    --ShipWright the proud ship wright.....stood by patiently holding a piece of paper. "Who gets the bill, your majesty?" He asked.
    --"oh I'll take that," Princess BlueBell said, immediately handing the bill to her father. "I should have quite a balance in my allowance account, Daddy, so pay this from that."
    --Exhaling a fatherly sigh, the king asked, "So will Master Mingo be regaling us with songs and stories of your adventure?"
    --Bowing courteously, Mingo replied, "Alas not yet, yer majesty, for word has come our companions are in dire straits and in need of our aid."
    --"Oh goody!" BlueBell danced around clapping her hands. "More adventure!"
    --It is a great joy for parents to see their children happy. Although Bluebell was 300 human years old, her emotional state was closer to that of a teenage girl, and for decades Dohlar despaired of ever seeing her happy again. "Ah well, I expect a great saga upon your return. By the way, where are the Dire Straits?"
    --"Somewhere near the Red Sea I think," Captain Lyra answered. "Pirates be there."

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(back in the RL)--....I had forgotten the exact separation story where Jeb, Shania, Ed and Terra stayed with Robin of the neighborhood aka the Green Mole. Finding and reading part 1 and 2 of "Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes" took some considerable time, but now the story shall continue! Sometime...

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(recounting an old story to a small group in the White Raven Inn)--Mingo narrated a bit of recent history to bring folks up to speed in the Metaverse's cul-de-sac wherein our story lies. It turned out that Novia took a different turn, and these events now languish in a neverland that few experienced, and even fewer remember...
    --Things had changed in the Capital City of Laundrytown....
    --"No Quotes?" TimeLord interrupted.
    --"Not while narrating no." Mingo replied.
    --Emperor Puppet had been deposed and replaced with a businessman, Emperor Builder. As an outsider this new Emperor was hated by the Swamp Creatures of LaundryTown, even those supposedly of his own party. The realm prospered under his reign, for a short while, until a deadly virus was unleashed by sources unconfirmed and things took a turn for the worse.
    --To induce optimism in the people, Emperor Builder stated without proof that the sun will rise tomorrow. His opponents heads exploded.
    --"No Emperor has ever before claimed to be God!" THE Speaker said as she promised Impeachment hearings. Brick futures rose in expectation of major purchases to supply professional rioters in major cities.
    --Emails sent to the Beige house at 1:00 am were not immediately answered despite waiting until 1:03 am for an answer.
    --"This is the most divisive Emperor ever!" a major Senator said in an outraged statement. "Imagine trying to divide day from night! This just shows all political nominations should be put off until after the election."
    --Anywho, Emperor Builder WAS deposed and replaced by an older version of Emperor Puppet, who had actually been Vice Emperor during that administration. This Emperor, called "Old Emperor Puppet" to distinguish him from his former boss, was still controlled by the same behind-the-scenes Puppeteers.
    --"Oh!" FireAngel said, "I read books about the Pierson's Puppeteers! They had two heads, each with a mouth and an eye, and three legs."
    --"But this guy wasn't named Pierson...." Mingo started to say.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierson's_Puppeteers

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  17. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(recounting an old story to a small group in the White Raven Inn)--"Please FireAngel, don't introduce spurious non-immersive beings!" Mingo said with a grin and a wink at the person most despairing of broken immersion. "actually, I know the name of the Puppeteer, and it isn't Pierson."
    --Getting back to the story. Mingo recounted how two tiny, gnome-sized tugboats chugged up to PossumRose and secured lines fore and aft. Our group of adventurers said farewell to King Dohlar and boarded the boat. Skillfully ShipWrights tugboats guided PossumRose out of the flooded cavern into the sea and released the lines.
    --Captain Lyra seemed greatly relieved to be at the helm of her tiny ship again. Pushing the throttle lever forward she directed the ship on a southwesterly course, observing the apparent wind to be coming from the West. "Mr. Mingo do you recall how to raise the mainsail?" she asked.
    --"Aye Captain," Mingo replied, exiting the aft door to the power winch which could be used to haul out the mainsail, the jib , and the stay-sail , which lines were then locked into keepers above the power winch. maybe they were called sheets....
    ----"Sheets?" Emiko asked. "The sails are made of sheets?"
    --"ah, no my dear," Mingo answered his listener. "A working rope or line that has a specific purpose is called a 'sheet' ."
    --Continuing his narrative, Mingo explained that PossumRose had below the aft deck two power winches which could tighten or slacken the sheets that let the main boom in or out, and move the jib to port or starboard. The helmsman could adjust the sails by two buttons on the dash forward of the wheel. the middle or "stay" sail was attached to a self-tacking boom which freely swung to either side, although there was a sheet line that could limit the amount of travel.

--As the sails filled Captain Lyra cut off the electric motor which had been doing quite well on the new Gnomish Batteries, and the passengers were overwhelmed by the beautiful sound of silence, accompanied by a splash of water passing the hull and a song of wind whistling through the rigging.
    --BlueBell and Hamster had hopped up onto the seats in the cabin and watched the waves go by. "I like sailing!" BlueBell gushed.
    --"Yeah? Well don't fall overboard, it would be a long walk along the bottom of the sea back to land. Even if you tunneled," Hamster admonished.
    --Mingo pondered the gnomes, remembering their density. "I guess you can't swim then?"
    --"Sure," Hamster said glumly. "We swim like a rock."
    ---"Lifetime Warranty," System Lord Elgarion said in a low voice. "If it fails, it's lifetime is over. Ahhhhh."
    --Mingo overheard this comment. "When I told the VP of Sales that about the bearing I invented, he was not amused."

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  18. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Mingo recounts a short voyage aboard PossumRose long ago in a never realized cul-de-sac of the Metaverse)--Mingo had gone to the aft cabin to sleep a bit as he and Lyra would have to share duty at the helm. BlueBell the gnome princess took a station on the dash in front of the helm and looked out at the billowing sails. "What is wind?" she asked Captain Lyra.
    --"Huh wha?" Lyra said in true Mingo style. "Wind is moving air. Strange you should ask."
    --"We can't feel the wind," BlueBell explained. "You can't see it, like you can moving water, only the effects can be seen. Where does it come from? Why does it change direction, and stop, and start again?"
    --Lyra considered the viewpoint of a being one foot tall that was basically made of stone, who spent most of their time in underground caverns. She was at a loss for words; as if explaining color to a blind person.
    --BlueBell continued her questions. "If the wind blows from the side of the boat, how does the boat move forward?"
    --"Part of your question is answered in this poem by Christina Rossetti," Lyra said.

Who Has Seen the Wind?
    By Christina Rossetti
    Who has seen the wind?
    Neither I nor you:
    But when the leaves hang trembling,
    The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
    Neither you nor I:
    But when the trees bow down their heads,
    The wind is passing by.

--"We cannot see the wind but our hair blows and we can feel pressure on our skin, much lighter than the pressure we would feel if standing in a stream of moving water. We see the effects and we have learned some about the movements of the wind.
    --"Nice poem that," Hamster commented as he lay snoozing on the L shaped bench around the dinette table. "Better than anything Mingo ever wrote."

19. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Aboard PossumRose)--Mingo awakened and came up to the pilot house/salon to relieve Captain Lyra at the helm. "Good spot you've chosen there, Princess," he said approvingly to BlueBell who had claimed a portion of the dash in front of the helm as her standing spot.
    --"I like to see the sea," BlueBell said with a wave of her tiny arm toward the forward window. "I think I saw dolphins earlier."
    --Lyra puttered around the aft deck,making some slight adjustment to various lines. When she came back in she told BlueBell, "You really should tell your guard to stay visible. I don't like secrets aboard my boat."
    --"Huh wha?" BlueBell said in imitation of Mingo's trademark response. "I didn't bring a guard. BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON!" she yelled loudly.

20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Aboard PossumRose)--Princess BlueBell's spell revealed sitting on the bench a gnome male, with a bag as big as himself at his side. "What gave me away?" asked RockSide of the Red Hat Gnomes.
    --"If a 100 lb rock is placed on the cushions they obviously sink down at that spot. A sunken spot with nothing to see means something invisible is there. Why are you here?"
    --"Apologies, Captain," RockSide said sheepishly.
    --"I don't speak sheep!" Lyra said in an irritated tone.
    --"Oh," RockSide changed to the common tongue. "I apologize. I followed you all from the Purple Unicorn, and I wanted to share in your adventure......"
    --"Bah!" exclaimed Hamster. "You want to win back all the money you lost to me at the Purple Unicorn!"
    --"What's a Purple Unicorn?" Lyra said, thinking there was something she once knew, but had forgotten.
    --"Oh, Captain," BlueBell explained. "They wiped your memory of our visit I'm afraid. They do that."
    --"Who do that?....does that?" asked Lyra
    --Mingo, who had been allowed to retain his memories, explained. "The centauresses of the Purple Unicorn can cause memory loss, or enhance faint memories. That is why they have never appeared in any kind of history or fictional literature. Also, they can to some extent change their appearance."
    --"Arent' the red hat gnomes your enemies, Princess?" Lyra said.
    --Not allowing his apprentice to answer Hamster interjected, "Economic adversaries perhaps, but not enemies certainly."
    --"Nevertheless," Captain Lyra said putting her hands on her hips, "Stowaways must work to pay their passage."
    --"Yes ma'am, Captain," RockSide said with hat in hand. "What can I do for you?"
    --"He would make a good anchor," Hamster suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.