Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Need way to turn off Reagent Use

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

For those of us that actually use reagents from time to time, we need a way to turn their use off so we don't burn through them while leveling up in this use based system.

A small "reagent" button on the hot bar and combat bar would be great. Kind of like how there's a "lock" button to lock glyphs.

P.S. Reagents should be required for all spells.

Kacey, Bolck, Lord Baldrith and 8 others like this.
  2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i agree, i tried putting them in a sack or something to keep from using them while i gather but it didnt work.

mbomber and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

Yes, please. This is the one thing I hate about playing a mage. By the time I'm in a fight where I actually need reagents, they're all gone. I think a quick toggle for all reagent use would be best, with a hotkey. That way, if you end up in an unexpectedly hard fight, you can toggle reagents on for that extra kick without fiddling with extra menus.

mbomber, KuBaTRiZeS and Moonshadow like this.
  4. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

why dont you just put them in the bank when you training

5. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

By the time you get to a bank, all the reagents you gathered are spent. That also doesn't fix the issue of burning through reagents on weak enemies so you don't have any when you face a challenge.

mbomber likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wouldn't it make more sense to make all spells require regents....lower the price of regents and increase the amount of regents needed for higher powered spells?

Vermine and Brink1123 like this.
  7. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

It's one solution for sure, but I think it's more interesting if reagents are a kind of power up catalyst (which they kind of are now). You can currently build a character that doesn't need reagents, but they're still helpful in harder fights.

mbomber and Aribeth like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They still would be....the more you use the more powerful they are....Having this two step system causes the issue for them to be used when you don't want them too....

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, that would make more sense. I wish I had thought of that. :)

Note: I actually think the cost of reagents (at the NPC magic shop) is too low.

Vermine and mbomber like this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i'd still rather add reagents to alter the outcome of a spell in a variety of ways

mbomber likes this.
  11. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

Agree, reagents as "magic ammo" is pretty boring, and not very "magey". Of course, toggling reagent use will be necessary for this system to be useful.

mbomber and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This or make reagents more plentiful to find.

mbomber and Kaisa like this.
  13. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Can you even gather all the reagents in game yet. I have only been able to find 5 at best.

mbomber likes this.
  14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Aye, I have a few thoughts for reagents which mostly revolve about removing the current system and insteaad create a new "hotbar pouch" type thing and incorporate them in to combat and fighting - as opposed to them being a automatic sort of thing (which I don't like)

I would have these reagents available during 'long cast times' of abilities in which you would press/activate a reagent during this process therefor influencing the ability final outcome through user-input actions.

Conversely, when being attacked reagents would be used in conjuction with effects that are active on the player (enemy debuffs), in order to counteract effects or 'dispel' them, also through a action type process.

Reagent hotbar(s) can be cycled via "z" key while in combat or could be stacked on top/below or anywhere else on the screen.

mbomber and Moonshadow like this.
  15. marthos

marthos Avatar

I recommendation would be to scrap the individual reagents altogether and replace them with an item called "Pouch of Nightshade." As you use spells that require Nightshade, its durability decreases similar to how weapons and armor durability decreases in combat. When the Pouch gets low, an alchemist type crafter can add durability back using raw nightshade. I'm not a fan of treating reagents like ammo as implemented right now.

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

All Spells needs reagents. I really dont understand why we can cast like Diablo sorceress in SotA ??? This is really not in the spirit of Ultima.

Bolck, Hazard, AvatarAcid and 3 others like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

My god, I think I agree with you twice in one day;)

18. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Well Ultima did have the linear circle of spells which required no reagents. I think what we really is need is much more variety and heavy hitting spells to offset the value of the free ones.

docdoom77 likes this.
  19. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Linear spells in Ultima games were very low powered and were simple utility spells, no place in combat or in great change of things. I still think that being able to cast spells without reagents, especially to simply gain levels, is a pure exploit.

rune_74 likes this.
  20. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

I don't know. Honestly given how weak the touch spells are currently (and you know gust)... They really don't have a place in combat anyway short of acting as a conduit for channelling combos. So as I say, more impressive damage focused reagent spells would help drive this home.

Though I agree to some extent, spells with a resource cost should have a drastically greater impact on raising passive skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.