New SotA-Kickstarter for more features?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 26, 2014.

?

Should Portalarium start another Kickstarter for SotA to include more features into the game?

Poll closed May 10, 2014.
  1. Yes

8.2%
  2. No

91.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Kickstarter for every Episode beyond Episode 1.

2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

They already said that they are going to do that, but in a much more simple way.

3. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

starting a new kickstarter now would have a huge backlash, and would create a lot of panic... in short not a good plan at all...

4. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Not at the expense of alienating the current user base. I agree with @enderandrew, another round of Kickstart funding prior to Episode One will likely send the wrong message. Also, raising funding now would almost certainly mean delaying the release of E1 -- Personally, the overland map is not a show stopper for me. I enjoy the direction the devteam is taking with the stylized map, and I'd like to have E1 in my hands as soon as they feel its ready.

5. nofare

nofare Avatar

Lord Darkmoon, you make no sense.

Do you actually have any idea how things function in the real world? For instance, do you know how much effort it takes to create a Kickstarter campaign, let alone a successful one?

Would you want half of an already small group of devs to stop whatever they're working on right now (important elements like combat, narrative, crafting, etc.) to plan and run a very hazardous campaign that would lead to a lot of press ridicule, just to add some utterly superficial 3D zooming effect on a map that's pretty much useless right now since ...well, there's nowhere to travel to, really.
    You're kidding, right?
    Tell me you are.

Your recurrent, obsessive, hysterical posts regarding the map (non)issue are so over the top comical I'm starting to think that you're trolling us, friend.

tradyblix likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Those dual scale maps look phenomenal but, I would still say "No" to another Kickstarter before Episode 2.

Time Lord, Eriador and majoria70 like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No they should not. I do think once we get something showable that we should definitely get that out there. Right now with the character model/map issue IMHO it's not showable. I do believe it will be wonderful in time so am anxiously waiting for that.

Then we need..........
    ** a killer Trailer put out there for the world to see, but not right now,
    *** also more cash items, pictures, mounts etc to purchases to bring more funding in, not a new kick starter.
    Our characters alone would send people running, well a big amount of them that is. We don't have the polish at all or the features at this point, but I think we are on track with development as far as I can see, and from what I have read about the process.:)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Avatar Aiden

This. I believe it would be the least disruptive to implement stretch goals by adding new developers to the development team as money and goals make it possible. A new funding drive almost feels like you are creating a new business vertical.

My personal opinion would be to keep such a development much more integral to the existing development team. Add a couple of bodies to the team or group that is already working on the features that are right next to what we are looking to do. Splitting it off into a separate effort (a new team/department/division) fills me with concern. I'm worried more could go wrong that way.

Eriador and enderandrew like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I feel passionately about the map as well. I think the new map not only looks terrible, but it doesn't cater to immersion like the old one. I'm with @Lord_Darkmoon on how he feels about this map. I think killing immersion is absolutely anathema to the rest of the design. And yet, as passionately as I feel about the new map, I think a new Kickstarter is equally a terrible idea. They don't need new funds to bring back what they already had. If anything, they've spent time and money to make the game worse now.

If new funds were required, it should be a new stretch goal at most. A full on Kickstarter just sends the absolute wrong message.

10. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Exactly that I tried to explain him before in a previous thread.

11. Sardonyx

Sardonyx Avatar

If they were to run a Kickstarter now, the message that would send would be "we've burned through all the money you gave us and we need more to give you what you already paid for." True or not, there would be a lot of backlash and probably some negative press.

Overall the game's in good shape for where it is in its development cycle. There's no reason to rock the boat at the moment and they're still taking in funding through the website.

enderandrew likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well I think the poll speaks for itself.

I also think the OP should let this go.

You are constantly talking about this in every single thread I find you in.

Let's at least hear from the developers about R5 post-mortem before rabble rousing this again.

Jatvardur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.