Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scaled COTO repair costs

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

As Bowen said, they wanted to introduce a way to repair max. But with this change, they are clearly stating they don't want that (COTOs) to be the most efficient method of repairing. They have to first implement the method to reduce the COTO value, thereby reducing the number of players buying it for that purpose. If they introduced the sweeping balancing changes to crafting and repair at the same time, there would be an even larger outcry of "I bought a bazillion COTO's to do this thing, and now it can't do this thing!!!!" than there already is.

Now, when the inevitable in-game balancing happens, it affects a much smaller group of (crazy rich) people.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I didn't say that specifically was their intent.. I'm saying I don't think the money grab p2w aspect was their intent. As I've been following this particular idea every time it's come up for the last 3.5 years.

The intent is thus..

1: Items won't break. This lowers demand.. so..
    2: To increase demand.. players need to be forced to 'retire' gear. Increasing repair costs was their solution.
    3: Items will have memory and again attributes over time.. so they need longevity.
    4: Crafted gear is desirable

Unfortunately.. many of their solutions to problems seem to contradict their desired result.. as I've noted among other systems. This is usually the case when you see me actively going after a topic such as this..

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The principle of what she's getting at is still sound though. It doesn't matter how many people are willing to fork out the money.. it favors those willing to do so.

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I agree. If this was the only move they had in the play book on this matter, it makes no sense, because the in-game systems don't support it.

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I truly understand that. But even the Scrooge McDuck's out there can't keep up with "exponential" repair cost. This will remove items from the game, at the end of the day.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But they'll be extending their lifespan that much more. That's what makes it P2W.. which is what Portalarium has always said they want to avoid.

7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

How much more is the question. Going from indefinitely to whatever it is now is a move in the right direction.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's HOW they're doing it that's all wrong. There are other ways to deal with it that won't cause issues down the road.

9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.