Stealing

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by ghostthealienhunter, Apr 22, 2014.

?

Should SOTA have the stealing skill?

1. Yes.

76.5%
  2. No.

8.8%
  3. Maybe.

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*briefly looks up from his hooded vale and quickly steals a peanut off the table, then silently scurries out of the room*

DizzySol and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The art of stealing is not a word only meaning theft"

Stealing in it's other definition;
    move somewhere quietly or surreptitiously.
    "he stole down to the kitchen"

Stealing into the night or day is not only to take but to provide as well...
    For t'is by the secret that such agreements are made between powers...
    Powers that that can only be lead by those who draw them together...
    as a combined blood and bone upon the field...

I have only one goal in mind when playing any MMO and that is to help create the largest battles as a trusted go between the powers elements that can create them. "I am a large battle lover"... when I can help bring good people together so they can all kill each other it truly bring a tear to my eye for their greater happiness. But it takes foresight to accomplish such things because egos run guilds and those egos can have greater caution to enter any battlefield if they did not trust the messenger.

Break out into a second course of mischief,
    Killing in relapse of mortality.
    Let me speak proudly: tell the constable
    We are but warriors for the working day;
    Our gayness and our gilt are all besmirched
    With rainy marching in the painful field.
    There’s not a piece of feather in our host—
    Good argument, I hope, we will not fly—
    And time hath worn us into slovenry.
    But, by the Mass, our hearts are in the trim,
    And my poor soldiers tell me, yet ere night
    They’ll be in fresher robes, or they will pluck
    The gay new coats o'er the French soldiers' heads
    And turn them out of service. If they do this,
    As, if God please, they shall, my ransom then
    Will soon be levied. Herald, save thou thy labor.
    Come thou no more for ransom, gentle herald.
    They shall have none, I swear, but these my joints,
    Which, if they have, as I will leave 'em them,
    Shall yield them little.

Thus the herald is only the messenger which stir's what death will come...
    and thus all PvP leader is most gratified for the arrangements made with the trusted herald most happily between :)

The non-guild alined trusted herald... or merchant of death if you prefer... ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The dirty deeds as well as the good deeds that need to be kept quiet arrangements between Leaders and Nobles"
    Are there any other negotiators here that are not spreading world peace?

"Thieves"
    One way to gather information is to be gladly given it. "Any trusted or trust-able negotiator needs to be non-guild affiliated yet not required".

"In a role playing style of the thief"
    I know that this may sound a bit strange being posted on a "thieves thread" but information on the happening and where a thief may be needed is a very valuable asset to the thief. Many guilds would shun such a player yet when our world goes live and the quests become more apparent... the thief skill may find a home in being the welcomed outsider instead of the shunned and rejected character. But deeper still... not everyone will want a thief all the time... so providing your talents to a wider field of groups or guilds may become a more successful play style for the thief or stealthy character. So... if we were role playing here... then think to yourself... "where would you think to search for any hidden information within a quest if you were doing your search through NPC's? "The thief!" Who does one hire to assassinate anyone if hiring an NPC? "the thief!"

Let me give you all an example of what I'm meaning here;
    I once was a leader in a very large Order Guild of Siege Perilous Shard of UO. We were locked in a 4 day battle with 5 opposing Chaos guilds and our lines began to buckle (battle included maybe 40-120 players on each side Chaos vs Order) yet Chaos had called for reinforcements of 2 other much smaller Chaos guilds. I had set up and helped organize by connecting (negotiating) the alliance of the 5 Chaos guilds because our Order Guild was itching to find enough people that could oppose them (we were the largest guild on the shard at that time). Well... Our membership began to fall (theirs too) but I had an ace in the hole because I had also had dealing with a thieves guild consisting of around 16-24 players. So I called up my friendly thief friends (who my guild had helped to enter a dungeon before) and they joined our fight which robbed (mostly) the other side blind. This evened out our battle and we were then able to continue the grand battle for another 2 days non stop fighting. After 4 days the fight dwindled down to raiding parties 20 players or so in groups and that lasted for another 3 days... then for about a week we have smaller skirmishes and after that some lone wolf duels here and there of 1-4 players.
    "Caster Troy... if you are still out there.. I will always remember you my grand opponent and friend"
    So as you can see... even though that major battle could have been decided in 2 days... by virtue :D of a 1-2 day visit of the thieves and everyone's fun was greatly extended.;)

Deeper Ultima...o_O
    That's what SotA is all about :)

4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Stealing and Snooping should be a part of the game.

licemeat and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well Said! Well said indeed! ;)

6. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Castor Troy was the criminal played by Nick Cage in the movie "Face/Off," I actually met a guy on Xbox Live by that name and he was a pretty cool dude.

To your point, the stealth element will always play a factor in both symmetrical and asymmetrical warfare (we thieves will be well versed in the latter for obvious survival reasons). This is why we should have a fairly unofficial network of thieves and rogue types in this game (no command structure, thus no head to cut of the snake). We shouldn't, in my opinion, be one cohesive force that can be deployed in a normal style, but rather a sort of black operations force that goes in and reeks havoc, collects intelligence, becomes a sleeper in other guilds.

Some ideas, I think the sky most definitely won't be the limit for the rogue, because our ambitions lie much higher than the heavens.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

http://www.reviewjournal.com/trending/feed/man-freaked-police-steals-garbage-truck Can I have some of what you have to life in a world where stealing doesnt exist, there are many more examples. There are many things you can do to avoid these said players. Quite easily.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

Wait a second people actually goto npc bars and taverns to steal from people? Sigh...

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

Eww you stole force.. *grabs a stick and continues to hit you with it* BAD THIEF THATS A BAD THIEF, go put it back where you got it.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

I suggest NOT creating special shards.

KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  11. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

Stealing is the next best this to killing someone! It should be frowned upon by all and very easily accessible in game. All those people planning to dominate with all their armor and weapon combinations will not be happy!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

In what ways will it not work? In the way that you wont be able to prance around with all of your best items in your pack for you to gaze at when you want that extra juice? Your wrong it will work and it's necessary to keep the game balanced.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

everyone is aware they have already gone on record that stealing will not be included, correct?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

This game will never be number one and that's thanks to the way the game is being produced and aloud to be controlled like a democratic party...

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Vendor buy the bank guards a round of Recdu Recsu on me!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I don't think we have anything to fear in this right now...

It's coming, just not right now. Our current demographic are parents right now or fixing to be parents, just check out this demographic pole (feel free to refresh it with a post to get a good idea of who and what age we do have here) ;)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...yones-age-group-the-majority-rules-game.9171/

:rolleyes: As you can see from this, 34ish and 44ish are way ahead. I have a feeling that once the game reaches the shelves we'll have an entirely new game which will be well adapted for the younger audience who as you know are much more liberal than all the older folks we have to offer supporting our game right now.

Cannibals and Thieves? Wait until the dam breaks open and the real players of games which are the young come busting in here. It's also a safe sided issue with most controversial or adverse subjects that more kids would like, being later fitted in with what has been initially designed. When UO first opened, it opened with thievery and that became a highly grief riddled issue for all of it's unseen exploits.

I would say that it's all coming, just not right now... because there would be an outcry that could loose some of it's money raising capabilities, yet those same things, will be a part of it's big draw once the money making dam breaks and becomes crafted more to accommodate all those young spenders, "who do expect such things to be in their games"...

KuBaTRiZeS and Trenyc like this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

This is the first MMO type game I've ever seen where the average age of the customer base following the game's development is over 30. It's nuts. One might even say... bananas.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Kind of makes us feel like this :rolleyes: don't it? :p

~Emit Drol~:rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith and Trenyc like this.
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

While it is true that the devs did specify that Stealing was only confirmed as not being included in episode 1, in my personal opinion, that is a very critical mechanic that should be in the game at launch - not added later as an afterthought.

After all, how will that affect the storyline, and single player experience, if I have to play through an entire episode before my character is allowed to steal? I certainly can't make a thief and carry him over into the next episode.

Applerust likes this.
  20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's fair to say, in a very literal sense, that adding it later qualifies it as an afterthought, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be done poorly. There are a lot of things that we want to see in for launch that are being held back due to limited time and resources. I'm quite sure Portalarium will get those things in because there won't be a market for future episodes if they don't. The question of whether those things will be done well or not is a fair one, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume one way or the other. We simply don't know yet how much revenue the game will generate post-launch and how much resources Portalarium will have to put toward maintaining the game's status quo.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.