Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Words of Power Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Release 67 Feedback' started by Olthadir, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I started doing some research for a book I am writing IG and came across some serious inconsistency with the Words of Power (or logos).

I also found out that @Browncoat Jayson posted the same issue back in 2017, nearly two years ago.

So, I am reminding the developers that there are some serious inconsistency with the words of power and there are people who look at them.
    Here is a post in the General Forums I made regarding the inconsistencies as well to bring more attention to the issue.
    Also, here is a link to the spreadsheet I created to fix the logos and make them more in line and consistent.

From Browncoat Jayson:
    I am not really as concerned with the single word for the single level spell. Nor the naming of Luna and Sol for the sun and the moon. Yes it would be better, but some things need fixing first.
    My issues are :
    • the misspelling of Asen/assen
    • Both Stone Arrow and Root using the same invocation, Assen-Terra
    • The logos: Vatu, which is not on any logos list, where Vertu is. (Is Vertu even used in any spells?)
    • The Logos: Luna which is not on the list but is found in Night Vision, Coccoon of Night, Shadow Form, Moon Beams, Night step and Summon Will-o-Wisp. The list has Lumen as the 'L' logos and Umbra being relating to darkness. Lumen, the L logos on the list and is only used in Fireflies, as far as I can tell.
    • The logos Solis does not exist on the main list. It is used in Light, Searing Ray, Reveal Hidden, Dazzling Rays, Summon Phoenix and Elysian Illumination. the 'S' Logos is listed as Sanct.
    • Earth's Embrace doesn't seem to even have a logos. Nothing appears over the players head or is recorded in the chat window when logos is turned on.
    I have a feeling there are others, but I don't have access to all the spells.

I am shocked at the little care put into this and the negligence in not addressing them when first put forward by Browncoat Jayson.

I know this is of little priority to the game, but for a Lord British game, the words of power have been a staple since Ultima 5. I know magic has changed drastically in New Britannia. But can we have some consistency?

Edited to add Solis/Sanct inconsistency

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Thanks for bringing this up again. Sorry it seems to have fallen between the cracks.

3. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

It's not your fault at all Browncoat.

I'm just shocked that it hasn't been fixed in the two years you originally posted it.

It's really disheartening that there are some easy typos that are being ignored. And something as important and vital as the lore of the world being ignored.

4. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

5. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Haha! Yeah...

Except when it has been done properly for multiple games (Ultima 5, 6, 7 (parts 1&2), 8, 9, Underworld 1&2 and UO) in the past, but not this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.