Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DO NOT Give Out Exclusive Items in a Release!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by VZ_, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Lets assume all it would not be any crash or log in reasons.

I am 100% sure we would still have a long "did not get my hat" thread
    Arguments would only be different.

Let me guess:
    - bad communication
    - did not know about it
    - i did back game, was on vacation - why limited time of reward.
    - the quest was confusing
    - i did have no internet connection
    - why did you not send a mail about that quest. Do you think i check the homepage every day?
    - Due to different time zones i did have less time.

You know what i mean?

It is understandable that a crash should not prevent you from getting the reward.

But those "i did not get my item" threads will always be after every limited time item.

Trenyc, Net and Gaelis like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

@Krellis, Welcome to the community (and the forums!).

Sorry to hear of your technical issues. I agree that bug reporting can be made easier (auto-submission has been proposed), and even basic information like how to contact Support isn't even in the R10 Instructions or R10 Known Issues or even in R10 Bug Reporting 101. Plus, the blurb at the bottom of the Bug Reporting 101 doc on how to submit crash logs is also incorrect (wrong folder name) and lacking (doesn't say where to post them or email them).

This is all good feedback for the devs to update their Instructions to include contact info and any other helpful links or material for testers. And please, don't be afraid to email support@portalarium.com for any issue you're having. Or even post here on the forums. There are far more helpful and friendly folks here than there are the...unhelpful, to put it kindly. :)

Svahn, Krellis, Logain and 2 others like this.
  3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Going off on a tangent; but let's go with this for a moment.

If the only reason the hat is valuable is because its supply is extremely limited (artificially increasing the apparent value due to said limitation) then what's the point? This is a digital item. Why not make it valuable through other means? There is no game mechanic governing its distribution. Why not make the hat the end of a very difficult quest reward that people may not be able to complete due to effort and time constraints? Why not make it a rare resources so players can develop their own political and economical intrigue regarding it?

Net and Myrcello like this.
  4. Logain

Logain Avatar

While I'm torn on the subject of incentive versus frustration, I'd say that if nothing else, this has been very valuable feedback that resulted from the 'hat'.
    If a crash report is generated, automatically trigger a dialog that asks for permission to submit system specs and crash data (no knowldge required other than hitting a button). This automatically applies the reward item to your account. Furthermore the instructions and update email contain a link to a page for 'blocker' issues. A simple 'multiple choice' (can be updated during the release with 'most often encountered bugs) with a short comment field and an automated system specs submit, which again grants the reward item upon submitting.
    Both would be easy and well enough promoted that anybody who cares should have seen it. That way (and with a bit of trust for your backers on the bug submission page), the 'technical issue' part is next to resolved, whereas the 'feedback' on the crashes is drastically increased.
    If you combine that with the suggested 'rare ressources crafting' for the item, we should be more than set for Release 11.

Jivalax Azon, Svahn, Krellis and 3 others like this.
  5. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

While I personally think that complaining about missing exclusive items like this is sad at best I will have to agree that including them probably isn't the best idea in the current climate of gamers and virtual items.

I play a lot of different games and frequent a variety of different game forums but one of the main ones is The Secret World where they have run a few different seasonal events and other limited events with linked cosmetic items and achievements*. There have been pages of people complaining that they missed an event (even with like 3 weeks warning) for whatever reason and "it isn't fair" that other people got things that they didn't.

It added such a toxic atmosphere in the community between people saying that they were owed items/achievements and those saying that if they missed them too bad.

I don't think all the extra potential baggage these items might bring with them is worth it.

* PS - never add achievements to this game!

Joviex likes this.
  6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Path of Exile. Best way I've seen it done, but it is absolutely, entirely setup to run those types of "events".

They have a season, a few months of event time, and continually fire up a new event every few hours. You get award points.

You can decide to participate or not, and even if you miss more than half the events, you can still get enough "points" for the top tier reward items for that season.

It then no longer is a problem for the publisher/producer, but puts the burden of "getting that uber leet lewts!" entirely on the user.

7. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

... and i think that's kind of the point postulio - these are rewards for those of us who do spend hours & hours playing the releases, submitting bug reports, and summarizing our experiences. We are not getting paid except with the satisfaction we derive from helping the devs (ok devs, yes i know it's not all helpful :(). So if you would look at things like the hat quest as a present for those of us who do spend hours fighting through crashes on every release while retaining our patience and sanity, then maybe you will not feel so bad. If you dont want to 'spoil' your ultimate enjoyment of the game by playing pre-test releases, that is your choice - and we all have to deal with the consequences of our choices - good AND bad.

So your choice allows you to play the final complete game in total enjoyment, but with no special rewards. While our choice means that we will now constantly be looking at the game for bugs and glitches for years (lol) - but with the special rewards. Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too. I dont mean to be snide or rancourous in this, its just a statement that we live with our choices.

Hoping you have a great day m8.

Koldar likes this.
  8. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Can't say I agree with the OP. I think it is going to be important, and more so one game goes to next stage of having servers on 24/7.

I think this game needs a new kind of strategy and if the game will be in this alpha/beta stage AND trying to sell copies, having good rewards to bring players back each cycle will be ever more important.

+1 Good strategy as long as it doesn't take a week to get these kind of "hats" made because the devs need to stay focused on the core features.

Koldar likes this.
  9. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I am completely with your reasons. I'm not sure how this thread got mostly off topic regarding bugs and not being able to complete the quest due to technical issues. I am very much in the camp that I don't want to play it to prevent any spoilage of the content.

BTW, I agree Portalariun shouldn't sell quest rewards, but these hats are barely quest rewards. It's pre release beta stuff.

Beli and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.