I made a house!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elwyn, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bom

Bom Avatar

@Elwyn Thank you for the better numbers. From what I have seen Wood usually sells for 70 gold or more now, so I think you got a good deal on it. But let's meet in the middle with an average of 60 gold per Wood. Keep in mind that even free Cresote still has a value of at least 2 gold each if sold. That would result in;

Four Story Row value of materials
    200 Timber = 200 Creosote + 800 scraps + 300 wood = 400 gold + 3,200 gold + 21,000 gold = 24 ,600 gold
    50 Granite = 200 gold
    Total = 24,800 gold

Yes, the Four Story craftable may be a little more desirable in some ways, but the others are more desirable in other ways such as appearance. Overall I don't think it's a significant difference. In order to make crafting houses viable the NPC price for a Four Story should be a little bit more than the cost to build, probably at least 30k. Then the Three Story could be 20k and the Two Story 10k, depending upon the difference in materials. When four Story houses are selling for 10k at the NPC hardly anyone is going to pay you 30k for the crafted one in the long run.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Cally and Stahlknecht like this.
  2. mass

mass Avatar

I made one and put mine up:
    [​IMG]

I have Carpentry 73 and used a True Bronze hammer and a +5 table (Thanks to Magos for putting out the expert tables in Spite!).

The value of the house is a little questionable; it has more space, looks nice on the inside, but looks very shabby on the outside. I would love to be able to 'dye' the house at an alchemy station to improve the appearance. Also looking forward to more craftable house versions so that the add-on store is not the only source of a nice looking house.

Thanks for the discussion in this thread; it really helped!

Edit: Just so you guys know, the picture is the old style; the outside and inside have been cleaned up with new plaster so it looks much better.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Chatele, Berek, moko and 6 others like this.
  3. cllively

cllively Avatar

I put mine up in Brittany Alleys - I used the tables beside your house and a True Bronze Hammer to get it done

Cally likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

FYI, in the past few weeks the house model has been improved.

First they plastered the inside walls, instead of naked wood planks. It looked like being inside a wooden crated.

Then sometime around R34 release, they also cleaned up the outside walls so it doesn't look like it was splashed with mud.

These changes may apply to the other shingle houses as well. By the time I made a village 3-story, the inside walls were already plastered.

5. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

I have the shingled 2 story up in Elad's Lighthouse. So much more room than my Edelmann house I was in before. Unfortunately the small iron green house I have doesn't fit anymore.

Lord-Galiwyn and Cally like this.
  6. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

@Elwyn

Really nice look to it!

I'm a fan of Shingled too, and to make it yourself is nothing short of fun and rewarding.

+1

Cally likes this.
  7. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Can one of these Row houses be crafted with a flat roof to use as a terrace/garden?

Chatele likes this.
  8. mass

mass Avatar

I don't think anything is placeable on the crafted row house roofs. Would be great though.

9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Can anyone point me in the direction of craftable houses list? and recipies? and maybe pictures there of??

I need a house and so many of them I like this, but dislike that..

I found one I liked but i hated the fact it had shuttered windows, especially as 1 of the shutters is doubled so you open it and theres another below it which doesnt open..

So far, the nicest IMHO is the single shingle roof property, but its barely a hut... but I like the windows and everything about it except its tiny.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Love the screenshot composition! Are you going to add your house to the decorating contest? :)

11. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

I'm a fan of the Burnt house myself. Heh... being able to show off your in-house decor to people walking by is a big plus for me :D

Pikegirl likes this.
  12. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

You can craft a house??? I had no idea. Been here since 2013.

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I mean it makes sense we can - but id love to know what we can make..

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Interestingly it says on https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-34-instructions.64769/#post-664718 that the 12 shingle roof properties can be built?? Ive come to discover that the 1 house I truly did like the shingle roof with stone.. of course... was a buy only and no longer available.. and I was already disappointed it was only a hut..

15. mass

mass Avatar

If you saw the inside, you wouldn't ask such a silly question. :)

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Appearances aside, the biggest difference between the 4 story Wood & Plaster row house ( on which the craftable Shingle equivalent is based on ) :

[​IMG]

And the Blue tile 4 story row house :

[​IMG]

is the tradeoff between interior living space and how much frontage you have available for exterior decorations. The Wood&Plaster/Shingle model has superior interior rooms while the Blue Tile's rooms are cramped. The Blue Tile 4 story row house in turn will allow you to fit a streetlight or a hanging/ground sign in front - something I think may not be possible with the other variants.

17. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

@Berek, any thoughts on whether the Viking row house will ever be craftable? That is hands-down my favourite house, and I really want to make myself one.

(The big win of the Viking row house is that it is open-concept inside, and has ladders instead of staircases. It makes so much more efficient use of interior space.)

18. mercster

mercster Avatar

Wouldn't it make sense to have the make-able houses look the BEST, inside and out? Make the paid-for ones shabbier?

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  19. moko

moko Avatar

Why would that make sense? Also, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, what one person deems "best looking" might not be what the other person likes.

iansmellios likes this.
  20. mercster

mercster Avatar

To award player dedication and effort more than simply handing over money? Don't get me wrong, I want a nice house (and paid handsomely for one), but I wouldn't be upset at all if it wasn't as nice as a house that was worked for. In fact I would rather that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.