1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Stats API

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Undone, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I was trying to follow the examples, but I guess I just didn't understand that part.

OK, I just ran: python download_quick.py -h from the command interface and got the help info to show.

Now, what would I need to change in order to get the server to give me just the list of archetypes? I'm assuming I remove the -h and add -o xxxxxxxx where the x's are the attributes of my search, correct?

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

To be more specific, I'm trying to get a list of all item labels (ie. Archetype/Recipe/Cooking/Baked Salmon... or whatever it might actually be named) so that I can search for one specific item at a time instead of a broad search.

Sean Silverfoot and Aeryk like this.
  3. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Jaesun, Aeryk and Kardall like this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

You cannot retrieve a "list" like archetype or scenename, there is no such list. You gotta grab every single information you can and guess it by yourself or programmatically what is in those names.

5. DavidDC

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thanks! I thought you took yours down? Or did someone else take it over?

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Hmm, I wonder how @Phil Scott was able to provide that data when he was hosting a Sota API site? He had a search engine where you could just search for "Recipe" and you could show a field that provided the full Archetype name of each item that had "Recipe" in the name.

Not sure if Phil is around anymore, but maybe he could help to show how he did it?

8. DavidDC

yeah someone else took it over.
    He probably saved all the data found from the db for a while, then once a good list of archetype was saved in his database then he provided that list.
    Thats why at the beginning Undone was complaining about the amount of data that was fetched daily from the elasticsearch db.

Aeryk and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  9. Hemswal The Descended

I prefer SotAssist, personally. The free one isn't bad though. Also, it does far less.

10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thanks for the offer, but this information is supposed to be free to all players. I appreciate that someone took the time to code a nice neat program and all, but if the creator can provide the information, I should be able to do so too.

Aeryk likes this.
  11. Hemswal The Descended

I absolutely agree. If you are willing to go through the trouble, you should!

12. DavidDC

I dont see the point of paying for a service you dont even own. If it goes down and someone have a yearly subscription, whos going to refund? This is outta my comprehension.

Titania Xylia and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

^^^^ Exactly.

Titania Xylia likes this.
  14. Hemswal The Descended

Actually, SotAssist uses a separate API (which is owned by the creators of SotAssist) that pulls from the Port API. So, if the Port API goes down, only certain semi-real time features are lost and everything else is retained.
    Also, SotAssist does more than just pull data from the port API. But, you'd know that if you looked at the website and read the features instead of just making assumptions and passing judgements :)

15. DavidDC

16. Hemswal The Descended

Everything except Monster Kill Alert and PvP Tracker. Because the data is stored for all of the other stuff.

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Not seeing anything on that list that I would need and isn't already provided by the "free" one.

18. Kardall

Kardall Avatar

Well, considering that any new data would be moot point on either system. The fact that the queries are being done by the free one on a case-by-case basis. At some point, if more than X number of people query, it'll get blocked. That's the way the API works.

SotAssists API doesn't have the limitations of the Public API, so as long as we are pulling like we have been for the last 8 months+, the general data validity is solid. You can query our API as much as you want. We do not have a block. We did this to lessen the stress of the Public API but also allow massive amounts of data aggregation to appease Undone's blood pressure.

I don't see why all the hate. The fact of the matter is, they have a 5 second delay in query results. So if lets just hypothesize here for a minute... 1000 people ask for different results from the API in < 5 seconds, only one person is going to get results. This is doing something like, looking for my character that doesn't exist in player stats player combo box. 0.002% result rate is unacceptable in my eyes, and that is why SotAssist was created.

It removes that data inaccuracy, and provides a stable and reliable method of retrieving data in as close to real time as possible, while scaling with the user base.

19. Hemswal The Descended

Here is an example of what you could pull from the SotAssist API (far more then 10,000 items) This is abut 850,000 items since July of this year:

[​IMG]

Kardall likes this.
  20. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I'm not in my natural element with this discussion, but having said that, I think I have determined two distinct points of contention.

First, some here seem to have been expecting a kind of API tool to suit specific needs for free. And most importantly, from the team entrenched in building out the core game.

Others have created one with great effort of invested time which creates a new and unique benefit to the first group.

I fail to see the in-between confusion. Either you use what is free, as it is, or, you opt for the more-suitable option, which has been created. And is not free.

Is the problem here really about paying more for more, or is it about intentionally asymmetric motivations?

Let's be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.