SotA Attunement Optimizer (sotacalc.com)

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Mimner, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Greetings New Britannians,

I would like to introduce you to a handy new tool which can be used to save you time! Let's say you are working up some magic skills and decide you would like to shoot for 100 attunement in a particular school of magic. If you're like me, you would just level ten of your skills to 100 and be done with it. However, some of these skills cost more exp to level than others. That got me thinking one day that if I raised a cheaper skill to 101 and lowered a more expensive skill to 99 then the average of the two would remain 100 but it could potentially cost less exp. That idea inspired me to write an attunement optimization calculator.

To use the calculator one starts by choosing a school of magic and a target attunement value. If you push the calculate button without entering anything else then the calculator will automatically choose the ten least expensive skills from the school and optimize all of them. This will result in the minimum possible exp cost to achieve the target attunement. You can further constrain the optimization by manually choosing the ten skills from the school to use and may also choose to lock certain skills at a particular level. Remember, any constraint you add to the optimization reduces its flexibility, which will result in a higher exp cost for achieving the target attunement.

You can use the calculator at: sotacalc.com

Let's consider a death mage as an example of using the calculator. We will set our target attunement to 100. In the first screenshot we achieve this attunement by manually locking the ten lowest cost death skills to 100. This means that no optimization is going to occur because all the skills are locked into place. We see that achieving 100 death attunement in this way costs 34.7 million exp.

[​IMG]

Now let's use the calculator to show us how to achieve 100 death attunement with the minimum possible exp cost. Here we'll let the calculator choose the skills for us, and notice how it still chooses the same ten skills from the last example. Now the skills are all free to be optimized, and it tells us what level we should make those ten skills. Notice that with this configuration we've achieved 100 death attunement for only 30.7 million! That may not be a huge percent difference, but I'll take four hours of my life back from grinding exp any day.

[​IMG]

Finally, your build may not want to focus only on the ten least expensive skills in the magic school of your choice. Notice that Summon Lich was not among the skills used in the previous two examples. Also, you may want more expensive skills to be higher than less expensive ones. For such an example let's consider a death mage who wants to focus on summoning lichs. We will drop Summon Skeleton from our skills to consider, and add Summon Lich. We then lock Summon Lich, Undead Mastery, and Mummified Undead to 100 each because we don't want these skills to change in the optimization. The calculator then tells you what your other seven skills should be set to in order to achieve 100 death attunement with the minimum amount of exp under these constraints.

[​IMG]

This work was a collaborative effort. I would like to acknowledge my good friend @Vignir who graciously donated his time to translate my c# code into javascript, writing the interface, and getting the web site working.

[​IMG]
    (left @Vignir, right @Mimner)

This calculator uses the Player Leveling Google spreadsheet @Chris published to the shroud of the avatar forum to obtain the base exp cost per level of skill. We use the Attunement Google spreadsheet @Sir Leonard posted to the forum to obtain all of the skill exp modifiers.

Please respond to this thread if you find any bugs or notice that future updates cause this calculator to become out of date in any way.

Happy calculating!

2. Kyri

Kyri Avatar

What an awesome tool for reducing grind and optimizing attunement!

3. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Great tool! +1

4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

awesome tool. very useful!

suggestion: crafting calculator. so you can see how copper bindings vs bronze would be in that armor. or iron vs white iron hilt for a sword. sotaqm.com was very useful for that sort of thing. but, it's been gone a long time.

Elgarion, Mimner, margaritte and 2 others like this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

this is awesome, its given me some ideas.. and a skill or two to consider i haven't yet thought about.

Elgarion, Jaesun, Mimner and 2 others like this.
  6. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Awesome work My Math Genius Friend (Who makes this non-nerds eyes glaze over with too much tech info :p)

7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great job @Vignir and @Mimner! Thanks for pointing it out to me Mimner -- super cool :) Got it added to sotahelp.org ;)

Mimner and Synergy Blaize like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.