This Weeks Combat Changes

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Rook Strife, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Disagree on that, sort of. Depends on implementation. Taking a t5 scene that is too easy and giving us a t7 and a t10 version might add some good xp solo locations. If they choose to do so. I expect scenes that give good solo xp and loot to be a challenge. But I'm currently stuck in that great void where t5 is not a challenge, the hest places for solo are too tough, and I don't have anywhere near the billion xp it'll take to get there. I'm enjoying the bazaar scene as a place for gathering. The mobs on easy are about right tor me, there's just not enough of them to earn much xp, and they haven't adjusted loot yet. But a more mob dense scene with enemies at that difficulty would be fantastic.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@kaeshiva and @Cora Cuz'avich , Just a few things I want to mention, both relating to OP but also topics you've derailed to :

1. The Fizzle Proximity is a debuff that "SHOULD" only act when you and another person are standing on top of each other, not a few steps away, but actually having your bodies touch each other. I doubt this will affect many peoples play, even for bard buffs or the "Stacking" to get buffs like Soothing Rain or stuff of the sort. It is really to combat people sitting all in the same 1 single spot and staying there for ages. When added, it is supposed to both have a small timer before it takes action, and should remove itself as soon as you move a little.

2. Higher tier scenes do drop better things, I have managed to find a way to tweak my builds to be able to clear T10 zones in an effective manner (The Rise, The Fall, Tartarus Maze, Ruined Keep). In these zones, I can earn on average 2-3M exp per hour on regular exp (depending on the scene, on which spot I focus on, and how many times I missplay and die. The loot is much better compared to T5 scenes, it isn't as great as one could expect, but many more supply bundles, LOTS more potions (Str/Int/Dex pots, regen pots, etc.) a decent amount more gold (Heck some mobs in The Fall drop 200+ gold each, that is a really decent amount IMO), and the rate for artifacts is much higher (often getting 4-5 artifacts instead of 0-2 in the same time window.) I solo all 4 of these zones BTW, so solo/small group is here, sometimes it is simply a question of is your gear and deck up to snuff (which is very easy nowadays). If you want tips on how to adjust your things to try and do some of these zones, let me know, I've actually managed all 4 with a few different build setups (archer, bludgeon, fire magic, death magic, Polearms) so unless you guys are still very low level and have sub-par gear, there should be a way to get you guys to manage most parts in these zones.

3. As for content one-shotting you, Apart from these new Dynamically scaled Dumbsies, there aren't much mobs that should one shot you. Physical damage dealers can have their damage reduced by Damage Resistance, Glancing Blows, Death shield, and can be negated by blocks and dodges, meanwhile magical damage has countless sources to reduce the damage. Also, Projectiles can be "covered" to make the damage even more reduced, and bosses have these "À la Dark Souls" mechanics that means if you let yourself get caught in their obvious hit, yeah, sure, they might one shot you then, but you could easily avoid the damage entirely. Like I said, Spindlescog and those dynamically scaling scenes don't count, Shadow beasts weren't tested (big surprise) and the T18 beasts are actually the test (because F QA right?).

All in all, I do agree though, CP's are pretty much stupid, that's why I haven't been there for a few months now, I am AL 115 and apart from a few big bosses, I think most if not all the content from EP1 lands is soloable at my level (and those bosses might be but I am not gonna min-max to the point where I can), and I have done it with multiple different builds. I use a greater unlearning scroll almost every 2 weeks, I pretty much tried almost any "class" you might think of or play, and I think they can all do the content this game has to offer, as long as you know what you are doing.

The offer is a real one btw, Hit me up, in private, in game or on discord, and I WILL help you out if you want to, I actually love doing just that.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For a large part of the lockdown, I've been playing ESO. My character is at CP 120 now and I did zero grinding; it was all quest. Literally for months, I've been enjoying story. It's not always the best story but it gives me something to look forward to and a reason to play. In fact, my biggest criticism of ESO is that while I'm doing my quest, there are a bunch of other people doing the exact same thing and it really spoils it for me. SotA has a big advantage there as you can do all the content solo. If they had a policy of releasing new minor content quarterly and major content yearly, that would bring a lot of players (content meaning story/quests). They have enough systems in place, we need more actual content. Unfortunately, they're still focused on systems (which is what programmers do) and not content. The only system that needs work in order to support new content is the journal and that's it.

ephialtes and Net like this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

These types of quests are usually a one-time thing or have limited replayability

How would you rate the Sota questing experience vs other modern rpgs ........lol

Voice acting, better story, dialogue, maps, journal, ui, and practically every other possible way you can measure it.

If the story in this game was vastly superior to other games, maybe you might consider going all out on questing.

It's not.

By far the best route is just adding daily quests while improving other aspects of the game.

Systems in place is not enough. They need to be good.

Edit- Also, the inky system they added is greatly underrated

There is a lot that can be done.

People just haven't put in the time yet / could use a few more tools

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I should be clearer; I can do the Rise (except for the Lich room and archer room) but it's currently the only place I can solo that has good drops and decent xp. I can solo Tartarus, just not efficiently enough to make it worth the time. Don't do PvP, so I won't bother with the Fall. Other places either murder me, or take me so long its not worth it. I'm bored to tears with the Rise. Lamechs on easy is the first "new" scene in a while I could get good per mob xp, but there aren't enough mobs to get good hourly xp. I can do it solo on normal, and even on hard if I'm careful, but then I'm back to taking so long to kill stuff its not only boring, by my hands start to cramp up. There are things to do, but its been way too long since anything new has come along that isn't geared at groups or players way higher than I am.

But yeah, this is not what this thread is supposed to be about.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah. So many times I'd be sneaking through a delve, about to do a stealth kill, and some jerk charges into the room and aggroes everything in sight. At least once I hit cp300-ish, I could solo some of the base game dungeons, those are instanced.

I really like the recurring characters, too- I love going to do a quest and then suddenly a character from a completely unrelated questline shows up to help, or give info.

Barugon likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's why you have regular updates with new story/quests.
    Other than the episode 1 storyline, It's crap.
    The episode 1 story is actually pretty good and you don't need voice acting. Just regular additions.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The examples people mentioned are just scratching the surface for ways this mechanic breaks combat.

You can grief other players with this mechanic.

Bypassing this mechanic is a joke for anyone with a gaming mouse or keyboard, nevermind people capable of making bots.

The list goes on and on

Scrap idea / work on something else.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Hi Violet,
    Just to clarify, its not that I can't manage higher level zones. Its that it simply is not worth the effort.
    Sure, I might get the occasional blue bundle, but since they 99% of the time have worse contents than the grey bundles, it doesn't really make any difference.
    I have frequented all the zones you mention, and short of the occasional miraculous drop of an artifact I probably don't need, the main upside is walking away with some exp and some gold / crap to sell for gold. And if 'making money' was my objective, stomping tier5 is more efficient due to kill speed. Sure, I can go fool around in Despair, but the mobs in there are dropping the same exact loot as easier stuff, so why should I bother? Especially since Nayer-lich still manages to 1-shot players with 1500 hp which is just pointless and inconvenient.

In most games, you see a named target, and you think oh! bacon! In Sota, they often aren't even worth the time they take to kill, if you're thinking of 'player time' as a function of value in exp/gold that can be gained. The higher you go, the less efficient it becomes. Sitting in a CP for 10 hours to get enough XP to bump a skill from 140-145 isn't going to change anything fundamentally for me at this point. Mostly I just play to hang out with people, but now most of the people I hang out with are playing other things for a lot of the same reasons discussed here. =/

10. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

SOTA has really shown how vital the link is between the PvE experience and loot/reward overall.

There are some really great looking, atmospheric zones in the game. When we log in we should want to visit zones like The Rise/Fall, Tartarus, Mysterious Swamp, Ruined Keep etc. After a time though when you just keep seeing the same loot over and over and the initial enjoyment of the atmosphere of the zone wears off you don't go back. It begs the question why are these scenes in the game (I am sure many hardcore crafters have been asking this question for years)? If you create PvE content and you want players to keep going there you have to reward them. Those players more interested in the crafting and sim life stuff are probably not going there often so who are they for if neither group has no reason to go there.

It's often said that if you want a loot game then there are other games that fulfil's that need but it comes back to the question of why then have these zones in the game in the first place. Will the essences keep people going back to Spindle? Probably not outside of the crafters interested in those specific drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.