1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 69878] Inventory UI "Flickering" and making it difficult to use inventory

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Pifester, Mar 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

1. Title: Inventory "Flicker"
    2. Reproducible? Only one account
    3. Blocker? Enough for me to not want to log in and do anything with that character
    4. Details: Hard to describe, You-Tube link shows whats going on
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Log in, open inventory window. Happens on every computer with that one character. Other characters on that account does not have this issue.

It started recently, not sure exactly when but recent. I cannot be sure what I actually "pick" in my inventory, since the flicker changes what I pick. Its enough I dont even want to log in and use that character. Kinda rough since thats my main crafter. Ive tried to explain it, but no one else has that issue that I know if.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What video card are you using and what drivers?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

which computer? 5 different computers with everything from a NVIDEA GTX 660M to a RTX 2060. I wouldn't expect it to be that, since 1: Its only the one character. Other accounts and secondary characters on the original account do not have this issue, and 2: Different computers, different drivers, and even different OS's.

I was told to try uninstalling and re-installing. Tried - no change

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  4. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ok, went in there and checked it out, wasn't able to determine why, but stopped the blinking. Please reply back and confirm that this is not happening any more for you, and let me know if it happens again.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Still doing it, even faster now. I'm not imagining it, even though everyone I've talked to says I'm smoking something. @Ravalox

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Ravalox

@Pifester I was looking at this more on the QA server. do you have four "pets" Servant, Donkey Foal, Horse Foal, and an eagle(?) on that lot all named the same?

Does this character ever leave the room?

I left the room (left the house) and went back. The four pets described above started blinking and the Inventory was ok.

The blinking in the inventory is basically the GUMP re-drawing over and over because it thinks something has changed. Scriptwise, it could be that the pets are really the issue and the error is translating to the Inventory screen. Still looking at it ...

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Ravalox

I think this error is what is causing it:

Object Path:

Time: 04:07:46.482

Category: CONSOLE

Message: InvalidOperationException: Not allowed outside a room

Stack Trace: PersistenceService.GetSpawnPointNames (ShroudDatabase.ItemSpawnPointId[] SpawnPointIds, PersistenceService+GetSpawnPointNamesCallback Callback) (at M:/BuildAgentM/work/b969c5b4edae15c/URPG/UnityProject/Assets/Scripts/Persistence/PersistenceService.cs:4069)
    ItemCustomContentLoader`1+<LoadCustomContent_Co>d__11[T].MoveNext () (at M:/BuildAgentM/work/b969c5b4edae15c/URPG/UnityProject/Assets/Scripts/Network/ItemCustomContentLoader.cs:171)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <63be5864a46d433c8de54bf00a34bef2>:0)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Ravalox

Found a ribcage and a stocking below the house ... (put in your inventory)

Also see an interesting location for a basement hatch ... :D That may need to move if I can make the issue happen again.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Just got on, the 4 pets are on 2 separate row lots - not anything to do with the main home. I put them in storage anyways. I also pulled all the NPC vendors into my inventory.

I started testing it some more, when I zone out and back in the flicker goes away. When I log out and back in, it returns - tested in my home, and different zones. For now, I'll just rezone every time it starts up. Thanks

Edit: Friend mentioned it may be lot related, so I put my main home into storage, unclaimed it, then put everything back up. Still happens.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Time Lord, Ravalox and Anpu like this.
  10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

another instance of it: @Time Lord

TimeLord (To Universe): I had to switch to my secondary computer. My wife was playing before and she must have hit a wrong button or my keyboard just went wacky L/

Bee Striker (To Universe): wives.... hmph! they do nothing but mess up computers!

Bee Striker (To Universe): that's why I don't have one!

Bee Striker (To Universe): I don't want my computer being messed up!

TimeLord (To Universe): Nope! I have isses with the game itself. The inventory bank/backpack are both flickering

Laftis Kuno (To Universe): get w wives scanner version 2.0?

Scanphor (To Universe): Just had a GFX driver update maybe TL?

Valera Pariel (To Universe): version 1.0 ended in devorce often, be careful

TimeLord (To Universe): She's Thai and doesn't speak english well enough to play this well, but she tries.

TimeLord (To Universe): But there are issues, it wasn't her. My backpack and bank inventory are flickering like disco balls :(

Alley Oop (To Universe): but you like disco balls

TimeLord (To Universe): Yes, but not when my backpack becomes one :p

Alley Oop (To Universe): i've got no ideas on that one. did she do a driver update, maybe?

TimeLord (To Universe): No, I'm on a totally dif computer right now and the same thing is happening

Alley Oop (To Universe): hm. is it happening on all alts on the account?

TimeLord (To Universe): I expect when/if I log out, that I will not be able to even have the launcher come up as with the other comp

TimeLord (To Universe): I will check another chr...

Hit Girl (To Universe): Hey there, TimeLord in drag here

Hit Girl (To Universe): This is one of the wife's chrs

Hit Girl (To Universe): Funny thing, this chr has no flickering backpack

Alley Oop (To Universe): so it's something on that one charachter

Hit Girl (To Universe): Yes

Alley Oop (To Universe): i have no idea

Scanphor (To Universe): empty backpack into chest, see if still happens?

Alley Oop (To Universe): maybe offload your inventory into the bank and see when it stops?

Alley Oop (To Universe): chest works too

Scanphor (To Universe): whichever :)

Hit Girl (To Universe): Odd thing with that, is that now that other computer can't play the game

Alley Oop (To Universe): o_O

Scanphor (To Universe): do a fresh reinstall?

Alley Oop (To Universe): nothing that might be glithcing your inventory should be able to glotch the whole client

Hit Girl (To Universe): I actually tried that, and the game wouldn't even re-install

Scanphor (To Universe): unless its a corrupted install

Scanphor (To Universe): hmm, sounds like a deeper PC issue rather than the game then

Hit Girl (To Universe): No issues with computers here, The same bug on that chr was on this computer as well

Hit Girl (To Universe): This is twilightzone problems with the TimeLord

Alley Oop (To Universe): ah, the backpack is phasing between times

Hit Girl (To Universe): Most likely!

CICI (To Universe): well game does have bugs =)

CICI (To Universe): i know somone with an odd inventory bug

Hit Girl (To Universe): The info when passing over things inside the backpack are flickering

CICI (To Universe): o thats the same bug as him

CICI (To Universe): the inverntory flickers lol

CICI (To Universe): looks liek a ghost kind of

Hit Girl (To Universe): Well, for whatever reason that other computer can't log in now

Hit Girl (To Universe): I just checked the bank with this chr and at first that bank inventory was flickering

Alley Oop (To Universe): is it only happening in a certain zone?

Hit Girl (To Universe): Time Tunnel yep

Alley Oop (To Universe): there's a previous bug here but not figured out

CICI (To Universe): o buddy has the same bug the devs havt fix it for him

Alley Oop (To Universe): https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ifficult-to-pick-and-use-my-inventory.167716/

Danjal DeVersailles (To Universe): Someone just haf that issue too

Hit Girl (To Universe): ahh thx!

CICI (To Universe): so it is the game not the pc

Hit Girl (To Universe): Indeed

Scanphor (To Universe): likely related to a common hardware / software comibination

Danjal DeVersailles (To Universe): Install strobe lights to it looks normal

Alley Oop (To Universe): or a specific glitched item, especially if it's scene specific

Hit Girl (To Universe): I will try this outside this zone

Scanphor (To Universe): aye could be too AO

CICI (To Universe): yep it was Pifester that has that bug

Alley Oop (To Universe): i'm gonna copy this conversation into the existing bug report, just for record-keeping

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Screen shots of /debug...

I do have the screen shots on all 5 listed things. I will however need to wait for morning here in Thailand to hand them off to my other computer. (There's reasons for that I can't get into. Just be patient).

I will however say that:

• I logged out with the flicker happening on my other computer and now that computer cannot log back in, as not even the log in or play screen will load. SOTA just immediately disconnects after being seen on screen for only a brief second.
    • I logged in using another computer (this one) and the flicker began shortly after entering in an alt chr on the same account.
    • I exited scene/zone and the flicker discontinued in both backpack inventory as well as bank. I was able to log out and back in, as long as the flicker was not present, after exiting initially spwned in scene, no matter what zone or scene that was.
    • However upon relogging into the game in a totally different scene/zone, the flicker returned.
    • Apon exiting that scene, the flicker went away.
    It is my hope that as long as I do not log out using this computer when the flicker is present, that this computer will not encounter the total SOTA lockout the other computer is now dealing with.
    Through this, I retraced every possible way to reproduce the flicking inventory effect.
    So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Till morning time, then I'll share the screen shots of the "/Debug" here :)~Time Lord~

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Screen Shots of /Debug...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken from FaceBook
    (which means they may not last forever to be viewed here. Screen shots using facebook for sharing usually last about 4-5 days).

Just logged in, flicker of backpack inventory persists...
    [​IMG]
    Moving from Kingsport to Brit, instantly 4 error count with no continued flicking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, how do I reload SOTA on the effected computer, as even the install will not load. Any SOTA aplication will not stay on that computer's screen for more than a single second?
    And how to fix the account on the game's end, as this effects both computers. I will continue to "NOT" log out while flickering persists, so this computer will not experience the same problems as the other has.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Pifester likes this.
  13. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

@Ravalox I still have the effect on that single character. I don't have any issues logging in or out. Never tried to dump my complete inventory out but I'll try that now. The effect goes away when I lave my current zone and zone somewhere else. But it randomly kicks back in. Its bad enough I cannot reliably pick items from my inventory to manipulate them, I have to sort for the specific item, then I can pick it up and move it. Really frustrating, but I have kinda worked around and adjusted to it, but every time I "force myself" to notice it, it brings back that frustration.

When I open the bank, the flicker goes away while the bank is loading up. Removed everything, items/equipment, nekked and running around. No flicker (since there is nothing in my inventory - even my tools - weight is down to 1.0) but the moment I grab anything out of the bank, it starts back up. Still happens regardless of where I log in, on my lot, on someone elses lot, different computers, totally new install on a different computer - its just that one character. If I could clone him on a backup character and delete him to fix it, I would be seriously tempted. Even tho deleting a character would be....rough. Especially him. And yep, just reconfirmed the flicker, zoned to novia - flicker went away, zoned into Luna city no flicker. Logged in/out - flicker reappeared.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*Follow-up-Note...

I'm not certain it's the flickers that kicked that computer off, and thus far, emtying my bank has had no effect, but that prosses does continue.

That computer problem could have had (likely to be) it's own problem from some web sight seeking to use my camera or microphone I encountered last week, just before this happened.
    I'm having that computer flushed like a toilet this week with a fresh reinstall of everything, It was due for one anyway ;)~TL~

15. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have found and fixed the problem internally. We are planning to publish a patch tonight with this fix. :)

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  16. Alley Oop

fix needs testing as of 1478

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thank you, THank you, THAnk you, THANk you, THANK you, THANK You, THANK YOu, THANK YOU ALL!

:D "My flickers are gone!"
    Very~Happy~Time Lord~:)

Anpu likes this.
  18. Alley Oop

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

YES....finally :)

Time Lord, Alley Oop and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.