1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Player Owned Towns Update: Scope, NPC Buildings, Icons, etc.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greetings Avatars,

We continue to iterate on our submission, intake, and fulfillment process for Player Owned Towns (PoTs). We are also doing continual design work for PoTs, including ways to incentivize thriving PoTs filled with occupants and ways to keep traffic moving through PoTs. We are far enough in our thinking that I wanted to provide all of you with an update on a few topics (note that templates is not yet one of those topics).

I also wanted everyone to understand the scope of this feature. At a high level I am trying very hard to control the scope of PoTs for Episode 1 so that is why anything I propose will be more fixed than some of you might like. As much as possible I am trying to use systems we are already building (or have built) versus creating whole new systems or new parameters for existing systems. This will also make it easier to debug and balance. That means a lot of the requested features are not going to make Episode 1 launch including: contracts/automated taxes for owners, owners being able to decorate NPC areas, income to owner from in town purchases, etc.

I am also attempting to make the PoTs function as close to the regular towns as possible which is why you will see things like town size influencing certain parameters.

Icons on the Map:
    Our current plan is to make the size of the icon associated with a PoT on the map directly related to the number of occupants of that city (occupant in this case is defined as someone who has claimed a lot and has at least X number of items on that lot). If there are no occupants, your PoT will appear on the overworld map as just a foundation. If you have a few occupants, you might get an icon of a single building and perhaps the foundation of the second building. If you are at full occupancy, you would have an icon of a full village/town/city/etc. A stretch goal here would be to also indicate current activity, so for example, if there are players in the town then smoke will come from the chimneys and lights will be on.

NPC Buildings and NPCs:
    Owners will select a certain number of NPC buildings based on the size of the town. These buildings each come with 1-2 NPCs. Owners will be able to pick name and gender of the NPCs and provide brief stories for them (which we will use to attempt to create some dialogue for the NPCs).

Building List: This by no means meant to be the final nor complete list. As other systems come online we will add these to the list including things like Theaters.
    • Tavern: Bartender & Customer
    • Bank: Banker & Guard
    • Combat Shop: Combat Merchant (assorted weapons & armor)
    • Weapon Shop: Weapon Merchant (assorted weapons)
    • Armor Shop: Armor Merchant (assorted armor)
    • Magic Shop: Magic Merchant (assorted reagents, wands, staves, potions, cloth armor, etc.)
    • Home Shop: Homes Merchant & Decorations Merchant
    • Guild Shop: Guild Merchant
    • Stables: Pet Merchant plus some assorted farm animals
    • Cemetery: Caretaker/Merchant (assorted undead stuff like corpse wax)
    • Guard Tower: 2 Guards (NOTE: These can be placed on perimeters of town, not just in the central square area)
    • Crafting Shop: Crafting Merchant
    • Fishing Shop: Fishing Merchant
    • Cooking Shop: Cooking Merchant (assorted cooking recipes and cooking ingredients)
    • Public Garden: Crafting Merchant
    • Monuments / Shrines: These would be items players could have placed in a central square or other point of interest in their town. Placing these is a requirement if you wish to take advantage of the Blessings system (mentioned below). There will likely be a cap on these up to no more than 3. Note that these would not include NPCs
      • Titan Statues
      • Oracle Statue
      • Hooded Statue
      • Moon Tower
      • Dragon Bones
      • Virtue Shrine
      • Chaos Shrine
      • etc
    Blessings:
    This concept is that the population of any scene that includes player housing (PoTs as well as cities we place) will trigger a blessing when it reaches a certain threshold (for example 60% occupancy). The blessing would be a long term buff (24 hours for example), and the city would be “blessed” for 1 month. Any players entering the blessed city and using a monument/shrine would receive the blessing. For cities that we place in the game, we will determine the type of blessing based on a combination of trainers/merchants in the city as well as story elements. For Player Owned Towns, the concept is that the owner will be able to select from a menu of blessings. Smaller towns will have more generalized blessings while bigger towns will have more specialized blessings (this mirrors our current plan for trainers*). Current thinking is that there will be a limit to how many blessings a player can have based on type; as little as 2 of each type. So you could only have 2 adventuring blessings (combat, magic) and 2 crafting blessings at any given time. The actual blessings are still being designed and are part of a larger system of blessings tied to the story, trainer placement, lore of map areas, resource locations, and overall map layout (hope to get a post out in the next week from Beast about this latter topic). We think this system will bring traffic to PoTs while at the same time encourage owners to be really reliable / trustworthy landlords so players want to live there.

Permissions: We do plan to get some permissions sharing (like our current housing system) in for PoTs along with some succession rules like we want to do for Guilds.

We will continue to update all of you as we have further designs. For now our tentative goal is to have a test case Player Owned Town (minus blessings) in either Release 17 or Release 18 at the latest. That test case will be an example of a template that we will use to base other towns from.

-Darkstarr

*Trainer Design Sidenote: Trainers start generalized at lower levels and become more specialized for higher level ability training. Tier 1 trainers will teach all Tier 1 abilities across both Combat and Adventuring. These trainers will be found all the starting villages. A Tier 2 Combat trainer teaches all Tier 1 & Tier 2 combat skills across all combat schools. However a Tier 3 & 4 Trainer would only teach skills of a specific school (ex. Death Magic). Tier 3 & 4 Trainers will often require a player to quest / task before they will start training a player. Tier 2 trainers will be common in most areas while Tier 3 & 4 Trainers will only be found in a few cities in the game. Those cities are generally known as the centers for those specialties (ex. Blade & Shield combat). Tier 5 Trainers are the only source of Tier 5 spells. There will only be one of these for each Tier 5 ability and they will often be hard to find and will always require some questing by the player before they will teach the Tier 5 ability.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

QUESTION:

Will there be any indicator on the overland map that a town possesses a blessing?

3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Thanks for the update - there are so many amazing ideas people have for POTs, I appreciate that we have someone(s) keeping an eye out on feature creep and scope of the project - and routinely reminding us of why :)

Looking forward to templates!

4. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

This is a good update. Sounds like player owned towns will be quite interesting. I like the story based blessings because it gives players an incentive to visit these towns even though they aren't part of the storyline quests etc.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you very much, Darkstarr;

On trainers, can they be requested/placed in PoTs? If so, what would the limitations be? Would they be associated with the appropriate building type?
    I.E. If I were to have a Combat Shop as one of my NPC buildings, would/could I have a combat trainer in the settlement?

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Do you plan to offer more NPC housing options in the add-on store? I can see where just having the base amount will not be enough for large towns especially.

7. DarkStarr

Undecided but perhaps.

8. DarkStarr

No trainers for now because we are specifically placing them around the world to reinforce regional economies but we may relax that rule later.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Understood, and thank you for the clarification.

10. DarkStarr

There are over 20 different buildings in the list I proposed and max is 15 for a Metropolis so not sure how there will not be enough.

11. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Do we buy those from the addon store or are they only chosen by town owners when they choose their allotted number of NPCs for their town, and all other town public buildings given for that town (if any) are generic?

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Sorry I must not have been clear.

So like if I have a Metropolis, maybe I want the following things in it.

Bank
    Garden
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    NPC Shop
    Guard Tower
    Cemetery
    3 Monuments
    Stables

So that's 15.

But what if I want another shop or 2 more guard towers for extra security? I was just wondering if you'd give the option to buy more NPC buildings?

13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You dont need to buy anything more, it is included in the PoT itself.

James T. Cook [MGT] likes this.
  14. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Okay so when a player town has only ONE NPC they can choose, then that town only has one public building and no other buildings at all that are not owned by players? Not even for show?

And still wondering if they are able to be bought from the addon store or not.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Good question. In fact would it be possible to have an addon store option to increase the number of NPCs by 5 or 6 as well?

16. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

That would be awesome.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I want undead evil looking NPC's.

18. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Imagine a Thieves Den type town - we don't want all the NPCs to look like overfed merchants in little velvet lord suits.

19. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I believe what he is asking is if you already fill your given NPC buildings. Will there be a means to have *more* then what comes with it. So if it comes with 15.. can we get a 16, 17?

Also.... This...

MOON tower.... :rolleyes: .. I was calling it a Tesla Tower for months and months and then... Got clearly informed it is not Teslas' Tower it is the shattered moons' Tower :p

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Includes:

• 12,600 m2 of player lots
    • A design session with the Dev Team to define details. We will build player owned towns from templates and modify them based on requests. Players can submit layout requests for the town, including NPC building location, and we will get as close as we can based on our starting templates. Other design details to be defined include:
      • Name of Town
      • Location: Roughly which quadrant of the map. (Exact hex will be determined by Portalarium, Inc.)
      • Biome: Forest, Mountains, Grasslands, Swamp, etc.
      • NPC Building Definition (inn, smithy, etc.)
      • NPC names and stories
      • Lot Selection: Determine which lots of which size you want. For example at this size:
        • 21 Village Lots
        • 5 Village Lots + 1 Castle Lot
        • 20 Row Lots + 1 Castle Lot
        • 13 Village Lots + 1 Keep
        • 13 Village Lots + 4 Town Lots
        • etc.
    • X Keys to X Locked Lots:
      • Keys equal to the number of lots chosen
      • Owner of the keys can lock and unlock lots at will so they can actively control who gets to live there
      • The key owner can evict an occupant and lock the lot using the key
      • Players will still need lot deeds to claim the lots once the town owner unlocks the lots
    • Central Square with 1 NPC owned building
    • 1 Add On Store House

No @ James C Cook.... Darkstarr said it is template only at this time, perhaps later extra thoughts to it. More reality may open up after we've had experience and testing of player owned towns actually being in the game to do that with.
    Right now so much is speculation and unknown. So here is an example of the listing for a player owned town.

Epona, Acred, Ice Queen and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.