Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Mob hp must equal 1 before dying

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by FruityTooty, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Avatar

5/12/2018 5:51 PM
    Title: Mob hp must equal 1 before dying
    Reproduction Rate: ~40%
    Blocker? N/A
    Details:

I have noticed during combat with mobs that their hp must equal exactly 1 hp before dying. For example, in a typical fight, I'm hacking away at the mob, and when the mob is close to death, I land an expected death blow with a skill but it seems to truncate the damage such that the mob has exactly 1 hp left. When the mob has 1 hp left, i hit it again and it dies. Initially I thought this due to chance, but I'm seeing it a lot, and with the variability of damage from combat skills, I think the occurrence is significant enough to warrant a bug report.

I use the pole arm skills Puncture, Spinning Attack, Skewer, and Leg Sweep, along with the glyph combo Icy Puncture.

I have recently picked up tactics specialization and have no idea if that causes the issue or it's just coincidence.

Steps to Reproduce:

I use my pole arm and typically open up with Skewer, then i use Leg Sweep. Afterwards I rotate between those two and Spinning Attack, Puncture, and Icy Puncture. If I use one of these pole arm skills or Icy Puncture to land the expected killing blow, the damage is truncated (~40% of the time) such that the mob has 1 hp. Then the next attack kills the mob.

The image below is a combat log of the weirdness. Note the combat damage right above the Satyr Archer saying "Hah! I have you now, weakling!", that damage of 18 points brought the satyr down to 1 hp. The next attack, Skewer, landed but did no damage.

EDIT - I have no idea how to post images, so if it doesn't show, FAIL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System RAM: 32706
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 GPU RAM: 3029
    SotA.Win.64.773.Date.05.01.18
    Area: Novia_R11_Hills01_ElysiumMines
    Area Display Name: Elysium Mines
    Loc: (-168.5, -10.9, -70.7)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjExX0hpbGxzMDFfRWx5c2l1bU1pbmVzfHwoLTE2OC40ODQsIC0xMC45MDIsIC03MC43MTQpfCgwLCAtMC41NTUsIDAsIC0wLjgzMil8LTI5NC42MzA4fDE0LjQ2OTc4fDcuNjQ4MjE5

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

We have some limitations with animation and death that really don't allow us to properly transition from knocked down to death. People would see this with trolls, for example. It could cause some issues such as misalignment of a corpse which affects the lootable interactive collider area. So a fix was put where if someone hits it with a death blow while it is knocked down it could not be put in this bad state.

This is where the 1 HP kicks in. The damage is applied, but can keep the mob up with only 1 HP remaining. This allows the knock down state to be interrupted, allowing the player to do a proper finishing blow to the mob while it is not stuck in that knockback state.

I believe this explains the behavior you are seeing. While not ideal by any means, this change was considered the lesser of two evils as a design/tehcnical change by the developer.

@FruityTooty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.