1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Exactly. I keep hearing this LUA thing mentioned and I still have no clue what it is or how it benefits me and my play style. This approach to catering to a small section of players and leaving the majority of us "common" folk out in the lurch is really grinding my gears and if this game fails long term (and I sure hope it don't because I have invested a lot both monetarily and time into it) that catering approach will the one of the driving reasons for it in my opinion.

Xandra7, arcdevil and K1000 like this.
  2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I love ESO's quest journal. Very clean. Easy to see what's going on and what I need to work on.

Now if I can only find cornflowers for this dang alchemy writ it will make my day ;-)

Tough to find some of those materials. Likely on purpose...

Chatele and majoria70 like this.
  3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

How many of you have actually played games with global auction houses that list prices? Those of us that have are not making these scenarios up. They happen day in and day out in other MMOs.

Let me explain what happens and what WILL happen here if we have global or even regional vendor databases that lists prices:
    1. You have an item or stack of items to sell. You've determined what the price will be based on what it cost you to make/gather/acquire and you add a bit to make your profit.

2. List your item(s) on the vendor

3. Another seller comes along soon after and places the same items you have for sale, but undercuts you, so that their items are cheaper and sell before yours.

4. Someone comes along and then undercuts the person that undercut you and so on. It is not unheard of to see pages of items with a decreasing cost.

5. You check the Auction House, see this, and realize the only way that you're going to sell anything is one of two ways: A) Undercut the undercutters and take a loss or B) Patiently wait to see if all cheaper items sell and yours might then sell as well. I can tell you from years of experience that B seldom happens.
    That's what happens. It's unavoidable.

People also play the system. Some that's all they do - buy and sell on the auction houses. I did it. It's easy if you know what you're doing.
    1. Search for items that have been so far undercut they are dirt cheap.
    2. Buy all of it
    3. Resell at higher cost
    Basically that forces smaller sellers to be wholesalers for people that can afford to buy up all the items that are cheap. I did it for years.

This is not a theory. It actually happens.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?

Star Wars Galaxies had Planetary (there were 8 planets, iirc) Vendor listings with NO PRICES and people were happy. We had our vendors, our stuff was listed, people came out and bought. There is NO NEED for pricing. Please do not allow this to happen!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If the journal is fixed to show all quests in a much improved way like completed quests, description of quest, perhaps quest progress, whether it is a main quest or a daily repeatable quest, pvp quest, crafting, fishing etc. New journal functionally is so important for this game. I so agree.

Players need to see the possibilities of this game and pick and choose what's exciting to them.A descriptive journal would show the players first thing upon entering the game what is possible and to do in this game. Leaving that out was such a mistake. It should never have been up to other players to totally provide that. That is so irritating we dropped the ball on game basics. Please fix this for the game devs. @Chris

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

many of us are not on discord though and have no desire to go on discord. I log in to play the game and fully expect all my needs to be met in game and NOT have to add this program or that program or this add on or that add on. Add ons by the way should not be used as a "fix" for something that;s broke in game. Add ons should be used to compliment a game that already has everything you need. An example of this would be different types of targeting cross hairs in a game where the current type of targeting cross hairs is perfectly fine.

Vaiden Luro, Chatele, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
  6. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I get that from a seller's perspective, but as a buyer.. its exactly what I want. I need the cheaper item of what I want. Its competition. The seller way really allows the buyer to be taken advantage of. They have to search for hours and days to find the item they need at a price they can afford. Or they get fleeced by the closest vendor.

SWG did list prices. You actually bought on the global search and physically went to the vendor to pick up your purchase. Waypoints to the vendor were created for you.

Wilfred, Xandra7, StarLord and 2 others like this.
  7. oplek

oplek Avatar

Yes, like in Eve Online. The player economy is great there.

Sort of relating to the above, what I didn't want was any possibility of regional economies to be nuked from orbit by teleport scrolls, global banks, etc. It should be difficult to move things around. My point is, global searches with prices can't be considered in a vacuum. There's the rest of the game to factor into it too. It just happens that SOTA has a bad combination of mechanics.

arcdevil and HannahAlpenglow2 like this.
  8. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I completely agree with this and also don't understand why it has NOT been made a priority. It is SO much more important than dungeon building or fishing or many of the other things they have dumped loads of time into. It is literally a core aspect of the game.

Chatele, Anpu, arcdevil and 5 others like this.
  9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This sounds like an economy that works and is competitive. Your placing your importance on the "seller" and woe the poor "seller" who can't get the price "they" want for it. that's wrong. the buyer is the one that is important more so than the seller. without the buyer, you sellers have nothing. A competitive market is fantastic for the buyer and ultimately works great for sellers to, at least those who don't want to create monopolies and take advantage of the buyer.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It has a technical term, "The race to the bottom". When I was talking with a friend of mine about the publisher he works for parterning up with Portalarium, his first question was "Is the economy in a race to the bottom?"

One can infer from that that the race to the bottom is such a good indicator that a game is not worth investing in that it is the most important question experienced publishers ask.

Go ahead though, lets get a race to the bottom though. One more hole shouldn't sink this boat, right?

11. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Thanks Anpu, you're on top of it as usual.

Anpu likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's disabled in the announcement category, but a mod could do it @Elgarion

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Without going too much into the details: EvE doesn't have a global auction house or global listing.
    It's much much more complex than that.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fun fact: it doesn't.

Elwyn and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

Fair enough. So as long as the number of auction houses that span the world is > 1, we're good to go. Got it.

There are also global listings... just not in-game.

16. Nexus-6

Nexus-6 Avatar

One little thing - in this game no enought buyers for real competitive market, because lack of low population...
    Too many sellers for small count of buyers. Global competitive market will be collapsed into dust - you cannot sell anything ...

17. smack

smack Avatar

Imagine if you can group up all the vendors in a town and put them all in a single, searchable list where players can see competing prices? Oh wait...it's called a public vendor. This is the only avenue players have to sell their items if they don't own or have access to a vendor.

So are public vendors, by design, destroying the player economy and forcing players/vendors to race to bottom?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No, because you can only list 10 things on each, and most of them are dead.

On the alive ones, however, they are a great place to pick up items that are well below crafting cost. So extrapolate that out and you have a yes.

The counter to this argument is "well then crafters just don't need to craft things anymore if the market price is under the cost to produce."

Ok.

Double Edit: Other less than appealing things about public vendors are the 10% commission and the 7 day time limit with item death at the end.

The gear economy is already underwater and had been for ages for most pieces of gear. Yes, it can go lower, and with the rules of supply and demand drive more crafters away. Coolio.

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Exactly. It's a game system that is considered a failure of game economies that has been tested and tried for two decades.

Games with only an Auction House for trade is basically considered an act of developer laziness. It's easier to just write one database than it is to create an entire vendor system that we already have. Our vendor system is a competitive, positive thing in the industry and to seasoned mmo players because of exactly what we're trying to tell you. I would go so far as to say it is the gold standard of player economy game systems.

Adding regional trade databases, with no pricing, would enhance the shopper's experience as well as small vendors exponentially. With. No. Prices. That is the key.

@Cirsee I can honestly suggest that having 8 or so searchable vendor listing databases, with no pricing, by region should cut your time looking drastically. The alternative will irrevocably break the game's economy.

Here's a bonus too. While you may not always find the very lowest price on some things, there will also be that treasure you find that's ridiculously low in price. If prices are listed, those finds will disappear permanently.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Nexus-6

Nexus-6 Avatar

How many lots you can see on public vendors? This is because nothing can be sold there ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.