SoTA Speak Discord Project

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Hail Avatars,

As we all know SoTA is a very community-oriented game. I truly believe this game's success will be determined (in large part) by its player base and our interaction with one another. After playing around with the Discord App, I had a revelation of sorts. What if every town, player-run business, social gathering spot, scene and PoT had its own Discord channel? This way, an Avatar could walk into a new scene/pub/player run business and chat with fellow patrons and adventurers in the same area! What if all of these channels were on one server, so you could easily tab out of game during loading screens (there's plenty of time ;)) and switch to the channel for the area you were entering? Talk about a fun, centralized, immersive experience.

So, I created a Discord Server called SoTA Speak. Thus far, I've added all of the NPC Town locations.

To join, you can click the following link:

https://discord.gg/W28hvvG

ABOUT:

SoTA Speak is a Discord Server set up to provide players with a centralized, interactive, non-private, region-specific voice chatting system to promote community interaction.

THE VISION:

Adding non-private voice chat to player-run businesses, trade centers, pubs, theaters, churches, guild halls etc - all categorized by the town they are found in. This way an Avatar can enter a town (and interact with all other avatars on the town-channel), or enter a local tavern (and only interact with those in the tavern channel), or interact with other players on the Overland Map channel...the possibilities are endless.

For example: I created a channel for Dawn's Keep (the PoT where I will be residing post wipe). In a sub category of Dawn's Keep, I added the Ockenshire & Markhamm Farmhouse Meadery (the business I will be running). This way members of the SoTA Speak community will be able to visit my brewery and chat anytime (whether I am manning the taps or not ;)).

What SoTA Speak is for:

• Player Run Businesses - places (like a tavern) where Avatars can congregate and do business.
    • Social Gathering Locations - places like theaters, landmarks (like Britanny Castle), churches
    • Player-Owned Towns
    • NPC Towns
    • Scenes & Chokepoints
    What SoTA Speak is NOT for:
    • Front lawn vendors
    • Residences (I'd advise you to start your own Discord Channel for house parties):D

THE NEXT STEPS:

If there is an interest for SoTA Speak I will add scenes, chokepoints, and accept submissions for PoTs, Player Run Businesses, Social Gathering Locations, and other places of interest. If you would like your PoT, business or gathering location added to SoTA Speak PM me and I'll add it to the list of available channels as a sub category of the town where its located.

Please note, as the owner of the server, I reserve the right to add or remove channels as I see fit, as well as ban users if they cross the line (btw - freedom of speech is not racism, spamming or harassment).

FOR THIS TO WORK:

We are a community and if we can agree upon a universal form of chat, like SoTA Speak, and frequent the channels as we play, New Britannia will really come alive. So basically, if you sign up, use it.;) For non-RP'ers and RPer's alike, something like SoTA Speak will kick up the immersion and interaction factor x 10. If nobody uses it, or if we all play on our own servers, this will all be for naught. :(

This is either a stroke of genius or a complete waste of time ;). We, the community, will decide.

Let me know what you think, join the server, use it, tell your friends. :cool:

My main goal here is to bring a majority of players onto the same server to bring the world to life.

TL;DR - I want an interactive chatting system where I can jump in/out of regional Discord channels as I travel the world of New Britannia spam marketing my Chinese gold farming racket. ;)

2. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Reserved for something spectacular - I guess. :p

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

People might still prefer going to the main official server to chat and such, but it's very easy to add another server and many channels, so why not? :)

Thanks for setting it up.

4. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I agree, the main server would be the ideal location for this, but right now the channel options are pretty broad...Britanny Adventuring...etc. Nor do I want Devs to be pulled away from game design to manage it. I'd like hundreds of channels, so as I move through the world (go in and out of doors) I can switch my channels to reflect where, exactly, I am. There would be a level of realism that isn't available (currently) on the main server. For example, if I pay to see a play I could switch to the theater channel in Brittany and hear it live. Just one of the many applications.

But hey, if peeps aren't interested, that's cool too. There would be a level of channel management that people may find off putting (switching channels as they move about). I figured I'd toss the idea out there.

This tech is really cool, though. I can see future gaming houses (or Port) getting a Discord API that would allow characters to automatically switch channels as they travel...oh future, you're a cruel mistress.

:)

5. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Update - I'm using sotamap.com as a reference for all NPC town and scenes. Later today, I will begin adding scenes to the SoTA Speak matrix. :) If you notice I add something outdated (or non-existent) please let me know.

I ask the community to help by submitting areas of social interaction for the NPC cities. I confess, I haven't been to very many in game as I've been mainly testing areas around Britanny.

So...let's start with Aerie (alphabetical). What areas of interaction are in Aerie? Fire Lotus Tavern? Theater? Other unique areas of congregations, or planned player run businesses?

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.