"The Tavern Respite" Part 1

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Elgarion, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

(From the 4th of May's Monday Night's 9PM EST reoccuring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

[​IMG]

Elgarion De'Kahli opened the door to his recently acquired room at Bear Tavern. The accommodations looked promising as he cast the brightness of his candle into the dark and quaintly furnished chamber. He spared only moments to prepare for bed. Exhaustion from yet another day of travel plus the Welcome Brew, Balec's monthly special, had both taken their toll on the middle-aged man, who's whitened beard was still damp from ale. Laying his journal upon the nightstand beside the candle, Elgarion quickly changed to night clothes, washed his face in the basin, and dropped into the bed as if struck by an arrow.

The old sorceror groaned, face down into his pillow, the muffled words barely audible. "Too old" he complained.

Sighing to himself, he turned to his back, pulled the journal open, and looked over his notes from the evening spent in the main hall of this fine establishment.

A sketch accompanies the entries. Elgarion, quite the artist, depicted the main hall of Bear Tavern in vivid detail--the various patrons as well as the proprietor, Balec deCani. On the side of the sketch, Elgarion drew every crest or symbol he noticed, most with no notes beside them. One symbol was labelled as "Bear Tavern".

"The one called Gabriel made mention of Outlanders from Earth. Also of the Avatars. We must speak more on this subject. Avatars... I have much to learn about their doings."

"There is an anti-outlander movement, which seems to trouble many. The people in this establishment do not seem to burden themselves with these prejudices, yet I cannot be certain. I must learn more of the outlanders and of the reasons behind this negative sentiment towards them. It seems several of the patrons were knowledgeable of this movement. The outlanders themselves might harbor much information for my research."

"Albeit I was only introduced to a few, Balec, Gabriel and Stryker, I took careful note of all names spoken while eavesdropping. Best I can tell, the following individuals were in attendance:
    Balec deCani
    Royalsexy
    Sir EternalKnight
    Kazyn Phoenixfire
    Aegon Targaryen
    Stryker Sparhawk
    Winfield
    Gabriel Nightshadow
    Kazuto Kirigaya
    KnoWitts
    Wind Silvermoon
    Tari Silimsure
    GoldenWing Okhan
    Shallan Stormblessed
    Robert Blackwood
    Blake Blackstone
    Karuson
    These people were most welcoming, and I must continue to press them for information about these foreign lands."

"A nobleman, called Winfield by other patrons, made mention of a Town Crier... in the morn, I will seek out the crier and learn all that he knows of this town and the nearby lands."

"Murmurs of undead spread from table to table seconds after Gabriel broached the subject. I must learn more of these undead. Are necromancers about, or are these old incantations Is travel too dangerous?Who can destroy these undead? How long have these brave people endured such hardships? I will take great caution in my travels henceforth. I fear I've been far to foolhardy in my wanderings. Fortune had been on my side, it would seem."

"Balec, Stryker and Gabriel too an interest in the map I carry. They ask, how did I acquire it? How foolish I was to lie. I have lost these good people's trust, i fear. But if they knew the truth? I wager I would lose much more. Perhaps they can show me the inaccuracies of my map, if they bear the knowledge. I MUST find it. The land is so different, reshaped by the Fall. The cities, towns, unfamiliar. Every village I pass, a mystery to me. There must be something that was unchanged. Once I have that... I will have a point of reference to begin my journey."

"Again, Gabriel mentions something intriguing. Obsidians... unknown to me but seemingly very known to them. If I ask, it would appear odd I did not know of them. I must seek a library... brush up on my history. They'll think me insane if ramble of my... situation."

Elgarion yawned deeply and closed his journal. Setting it on the nightstand, he leaned towards the candle and returned the inn room to darkness. A few folk still remained downstairs, their laughter muffled through the floorboards. As his breath softened, his mind began to slip into dream. Even there, he walked the wilds in search of his home. From wooded trail to dried river bed he trekked. Mountainside to muck filled bogs. Even in sleep, rest would not come. His dream was his obsession. And his obsession was one of repentance and self-sacrifice. Elgarion would find his lost people. He would free them from the binding limbo which imprisons them. He would return them to their home, to Kahli.

[[Thank you all for showing, I know I was rather disorganized, each time I'll try to step things up a bit and hopefully get 3-4 stories going at a time based upon the identification story and quest leaders. In any case, Thank you thank you -- please submit any suggests you like -- also, reply to this thread if you have an in-character reply you'd like to make in response to tonight's event! Gnight!]]

2. Elgarion

( Balec replied at thebeartavern.org )

Balec arrived not long after sunrise the next morning. He glanced about, surveying the main hall. The servants had already come by and cleaned up from the night before. No signs of any damage. He noted all those blasted Aether devices were still there...sometimes he wished someone would steal those. Just another reminder to figure out a way to get live performances back nightly at the tavern....

As he set about taking the daily inventory, Balec organized his thoughts from the night before.

Good night last night...for a Monday. And no fewer than 3 heads in crowns. Well, at least they didn't spend the night trying to outdo each other. That one new fellow with the crown, Karuson, I think was his name...I wonder what fortune or power that man holds. He was in the rare form of a tavern commoner last night!

Balec chuckles out-loud remembering Karuson fall from the roof peak the previous evening.

I wonder if he was working a scam with that other newcomer Elgarion...

Nah, I think Karuson said he was heading back to Lux as he dashed out in some mad rush (probably to hurl in the front yard - I'll bet). I wonder why Elgarion didn't write Karuson's name in his little book...

Yeah, I was good. He had no idea I even snuck a look not to mention making out every name on the page, including my own....thought I was looking at his map. Ha.

Balec recalls Gabriel and Stryker eyeing Elgarion's book.

Wonder if they managed to get a look too. They were so obvious. I bet the old man even noticed their stares. And he didn't seem in the least worried about being alone in a strange place with men looking like that. No, he had allies or powers in the room last night. Who *was* he working with?

Balec, lost in thought, says outloud, "Sometimes I wonder who's playing who around here...then I remember we all are."

If there is some adventure or fortune at the end of this old man's trail, I damm sure want a piece of it. On the other hand I'm too darn old to be playing these games anymore.

Balec finishes the inventory at the empty place where the last Welcome Ales sat before he handed them out last night. And laughs...

Or maybe I'm in my prime. Did you see that fella go under from the Welcome Ale. Ha, no uninitiated can handle that many of those. My god, I hope he washes his beard in the morning. Anyhow, the Bar and the Tour business can run themselves for awhile...if he *does* have something good up his sleeve, I'm as good as along for the ride!

Balec meditates in the rays of the morning sun through the bar window as he listens to the muffled snores through the floor above...

3. Elgarion

Elgarion had a fitful rest, something nagging at his mind. By midnight, he relit the candle as it dawned on him as to why... he remembered another present at the night's festivities, "Karuson... of course!" He jotted down the new journal, leaving it open so that the ink would dry. Sighing to himself, hoping now he would rest well, he once again extinguished the candle and nestled against the feather pillow. Perhaps now, he would rest well. Sleep whisked him away almost immediately.

(Also, I added the "sketch", more sketches to come with each chapter as the story continues.)

((Ooops! Thanks for catching that :p ))

4. Elgarion

(From the 11th of May's Monday Night's 9PM EST reoccuring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

[​IMG]

Elgarion shuffled his way down the darkened hall to his chambers above the common room of Bear Tavern, an establishment which twice now has brought him the comfort of a fine ale and friendly folk. The door opened with a squeal, which comforted him to know unannounced guests would likely be heard. Setting his sack of books and scrolls upon the desk, he quickly cast aside his boots and sat with intent upon the desk's chair, pulling out his journal again with quill and ink.

Balec had just warned him that some of the patrons were not taking kindly to Elgarion's scrivenings, consisting of their names, their stories and even sketches of their personages. "Bah... how indeed will I remember all that is said? Though, the man does make a point." He stated to the air in the room. Certainly a proprietor of such an establishment had learned, through the years, what his patrons prefer. Elgarion decided to rethink how he would document the happenings of Bear Tavern, or in the least, try his best not to offend those most secretive. Recollecting the past nights discussions, the venerable sorcerer spent another hour before succumbing to sleep, recounting this evening's tales and news of lands abroad.

They spoke of the horrors of starvation after The Fall, and the drunkard even spoke as if he was there, during that time. Could these merely have been the imaginations brought on by ale? Many spoke of these stories, however. The dwarf, called Blake by those present, said there was a place, The Bluffs, which harbors deep caverns beneath. Caverns which housed the starving masses after the cataclysm. I suspect, strongly, that if these catacombs are littered with the dead of those lost during the Fall, likely, their most precious belongings were lost within. Diaries accounting of these horrid times are likely to be found. Perhaps even survivors from Kahli hid within the labyrinth. I must find these tunnels, for amongst the remains of the fallen, the fate of Kahli might be revealed.

Again, the drunkard spoke... almost in riddles. A grimoire of ancient origin. If I can speak to this man away from prying ear and watchful eye, perhaps he will reveal more about the nature of this text. I will introduce myself to him next we meet. And perhaps, I can get a few words from him before he loses his wit from drink.

The one called Kazyn Phoenixfyre... he has knowledge of an ancient city which bears a name most familiar. Could it be that Trinsic existed before the Fall? Could I know this city? If he holds texts which detail the origins of such a place, surely there could be mention of Kahli. And only... I can only dream this to be true, but if Kazyn knows the location of Trinsic, and I can learn of Kahli's relative position from it? At last I might have found a way to Kahli. If I am so lucky. The history of Trinsic must run deep. A tale of Tel'Anor Arator, The Phoenix Egg, seemingly speaks much of its greatness. A city which apparently took its insignia from that same runic symbol. I will certainly pick the brain of this Kazyn, a man seeming most receptive to conversations of times forgotten.

And again, the dwarf spoke. Daedalus. Weeping Seven. Cryptic words for a confused soul, such as I. Next we meet, when words become sparse and uncomfortable silence ensues, be assured, I will ask questions of these. The answers I seek could lie in any tale or news from abroad. I must not discount any possibilities.

The lady. They called her Amber. She overheard the ramblings of my weary lips from a weary mind. I perhaps embarrassed myself with such bold blatherings of my quest for knowledge. But alas, she took a kindness upon me and offered a most valuable and generous gift, an invitation to view her extensive library. I was confounded by surprise and possibly a little flustered from the wine. I most certainly will take up her most gracious offer and somehow repay her in kind. The Book of the High Priestess. It will be the first I ask to see. Clergy, often granted divinations by the gods, chronicle well the histories of each era. I doubt not that this libram might hold valuable knowledge. But from what era? I will soon know. And with Amber's assistance with translations, my work will go quickly.

Elgarion De'Kahli turned the journal back several pages, stopping for a moment upon each. The sketch of the tavern from this evening, the sketch from the week prior reminded him of other conversations which he had nearly forgotten. Hastily, he jotted them down, his penmanship suffering as his weariness grew. His notes from before, he read them again, aloud to himself. "Nothing... I asked... nothing," the old man grumbled to himself. All the notes from the week prior, the questions he intended to ask were never broached. Now, the list had lengthened. So... so many questions. No answers. The start of so many tales. Whispers of places unfamiliar. The undead. Piles of books unread. Elgarion sighed deeply, then closed his journal and capped the ink. After wiping the quill clean and dousing the candle, he set his studies aside for the evening and turned to the bed, lying down upon the feather mattress. Again, staring into the darkness of his chamber, he quickly slipped into sleep. The Void had claimed him again, and this dream would not bring answers. It only brought fear.

5. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Balec awoke confused. His irritation was evident as he dressed and carried out his morning routine. He hated not having the answers...particularly when it related to uncertainty about his own state of mind. The flower seed extracts from the local alchemist had done wonders for his cough earlier, but now he was haunted by their disorienting waves of after-effects. Had he really sat there in a crowded tavern for a quarter-hour unaware of his surroundings? Had he talked to anyone during that time? His mind all but refused to allow the possibility he was actually in this same - or similar - world entirely devoid of people, save himself. Balec had traveled between worlds before. In his mind, faded memories of a hauntingly familiar world of another time began to surface.

Balec took a step away from his thoughts, and his vision focused on the small ankh before him in his room. A reminder of the here and now...and the need to always remain focused, an inner drive that he had carried with him between worlds. Before sentimental nostalgia could cloud his mind, Balec reminded himself as he said aloud, "This is my home. All that I see or seem to be...is here." Dreams, he thought, are no different than years spent in other worlds long ago; a faded souvenir...with buried wisdom that can be adapted to navigate the day ahead.

"Something that fool newcomer needs to learn!" muttered Balec, as he closed his door and began the short walk to the Tavern. Now that's not fair, he thought to himself. Balec was beginning to look at the furious writing as potentially, actually scholarly, rather than the strange mannerisms of the insane or those seeking to deceive. The brisk morning air and rising sun had already begun to improve his mood. The large sack of gold tied to his waist from Blake's generous tip the previous night reminded him of the good friends and pleasant times he enjoyed in this world. He giggled at memories of helping Dame Amber with her chair. Even the nut who claimed to be a Lich was rather agreeable last night, for a Lich.

Elgarion had come back to stay at the Tavern a second time and Balec felt he was beginning to like this stranger. Balec's usual suspicions and his reflexes to protect friends and patrons from unscrupulous visitors, of which there are plenty, waned quickly with Elgarion's less erratic and more open demeanor last night. Elgarion is beginning to seem an honest man, he thought, but rather odd, which of course, in the Tavern business is pretty much the norm. Heck, Balec had even started to confide in the man how to make the patrons feel more comfortable around him. Still, Balec shook his head. Elgarion is chasing his, or some, past. Something Balec had decided firmly against long ago.

"Cali" was the place they mentioned, he thought with a final curse of his seed-clouded memories. He shook his head again. An experienced tour guide, Balec had studied well, the lore and maps of the land, and there was no such place, at least not that Balec could recall. I would have remembered a "Cali", he thought, as the name brought fond memories of a loyal dog, with which Balec had traveled many miles.

Balec looked up at the Tavern in the morning sun. His mood turned the final corner as he looked over the enormous and well-cared-for establishment. I love it here. The light fell across the banners making them glow warmly and the rays played tug-o-war on his skin against the chill air. Funny how meeting people goes. A fleeting thought of how it's always been that way, regardless of time or place, crossed his mind. Strangers bring unknown new opportunities and new threats. Oh well, he thought as the previous week's visions of Elgarion leading them on a treasure hunt faded. Faded, also, was the urge to reach for the blade at his waist when he saw that erratic scribbling.

Balec wondered just how long Elgarion planned to stay. Behind the constant scribbling, something about the man's ways was beginning to feel right to Balec. In his, now cheery mood, Balec thought, richer than the possibility of some hidden treasure, I might be getting to know a new friend.

6. Balec Fares deCani

7. Elgarion

(From the 18th of May's Monday Night 9PM EST reoccuring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)
    [​IMG]

After a long week of arduous travel and an amazing evening of adventure, Elgarion returned to his chambers above the common room of Bear Tavern, kindly offered to him by Balec, the absent proprietor. The note Balec had left him was thoughtful, and Elgarion made certain the basket was well utilized for the ale he and his friends had imbibed that eve. The mere notion that Balec would have the forethought to think of him, caused Elgarion to ponder and to become certain. The old sorcerer made a mental note--if Balec had his best interests in mind, this refugee from Kahli would pay in kind. Somehow, and soon, Elgarion would reward Balec for his generosity and commitment to fine service. Setttling himself, Elgarion sat at his desk, and began to write in his journal, recounting the lessons and peculiarities of the day's happenings.

When I had returned to Bear Tavern that evening, already inside was a man I had become recently familiar, Stryker Sparhawk. Stryker was engaged in dance with a charming female, who's lithe movements caused me some embarrassment. Her unseemly motions were befuddling to me, and alas, as any gentleman would? I averted my eyes and sat upon a stool at the ornamental oaken bar, instead admiring the wooden creation likely crafted by the careful hand of a fine artisan. She departed, her name I do not recall. But then Stryker and I accounted of our week's journeys in stride, as if meeting every seven days had become the norm.

Shortly after, another arrived. Blake Blackstone, the dwarf. He strode in and quickly sat to my left. It was good to be amongst friends. We drank the fine brew of Bear Tavern, leaving coppers and gold in the basket as Balec had instructed, and told tales, most of which, I now struggle to remember.

Balec had made mention that recording the conversations of his patrons had left some... rather uncomfortable. So now I attempt to record well after our encounters and am likely to forget much of what transpired. All for the sake of propriety.

Blake Blackstone mentioned a man whom I must most definitely seek. A historian, of sorts. A rare profession, and rarer yet to find one bearing talent for that calling. I hope to make his acquaintance. Enderandrew. A most unusual name. And also one, unforgettable. Certainly he must know of the populaces still in this world which might have existed from before The Fall. He most certainly can help this lost soul.

Again, the Doomsayers. The Outlanders. Stryker and Blake both spoke with worry. Neither had encountered a Doomsayer, but I did learn, that Outlanders... many of the very people I have met, to include Blake and Stryker, consider themselves as such. They even stated I was one. Certainly, I played along, but why do they believe this? It seems the Outlanders are common and apparently accepted. The peoples of this world are so different from before. I have much to learn. And as Stryker and Blake suggest, I must seek an elf by the name of Bowen. For he holds the key to these Doomsayers. If I were mistaken to be an Outlander by friends, would these Doomsayers make similar assumption? My explorations might become unnecessarily... challenging, if so.

As if our topics had not delved into enough gloom, I broached the subject of The Undead. Upon my first meet with these fine folk, they had expressed much concern over the Undead which plagued the wilds. Now, they made mention of a Spirit Speaker which had enticed an apparition to speak. "Malice" was the word it had said. I assumed it was a place, and Stryker thought specifically, a dungeon. Catacombs are home to many of the unliving. Perhaps our next encounter, I might coax some of the brave souls in Bear Tavern to speak more of "Malice". Imagine what histories I might uncover amidst the treasures of the entombed. I dare not confront the damned without companionship.

And, lastly. Highiron. The city belonging to an organization known as the Tantalus, if I recall the dwarf's words correctly. On a whim to show us his home, Blake summoned such magic to transport us there. I did not know that such sorcery existed in today's world, but this spell -- I must learn it. I can't even begin to imagine how my search for Kahli could be hastened if I possessed such power. Alas, the journey proved eventful. Highiron is a grand city, with a unified people. I met another there, their planner, Harry. The city's beauty was a testament to his devotion. But as quick as we had arrived, the tour was cut short by night fall, and to PaxLair I wished to return. Blake stayed and I returned with Stryker, also possessing such magics of transport. Perplexing. I am truly awed by the powers of these... Outlanders.

Before I retired, I looked across the common room. Empty. Candles waned. I had hoped to see the one called, Amber. She had made such an impression upon this old weary man, last we met. I suspect her library to reveal many answers to the riddles which toy with my perceptions. Perhaps soon, I can enlist her aid. Thus far, PaxLair has offered me sanctuary. The people of PaxLair have shown me friendship. And I suspect this individual can render much aid to my cause.

Now, in my chambers, I prepare for another night of torment. I know what the darkness will bring to my dreams. The limbo, my prison for so many years, will take me again. At least as I slumber, I will return to my people, even if only as a conjuration of my haunted mind. My place is with them, and to that end, I will not stop until they are found and freed. I take some solace, that in some way, I will be, once again, home.

8. Elgarion

(From the 25th of May's Monday Night 9PM EST reoccuring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

[​IMG]

The merchant's wagon stopped in front of Bear Tavern, letting its passenger, Elgarion De'Kahli, climb down onto the dirt road. Elgarion looked to the drover with a kind smile and stated, "Thank you, sir. Your kindness is immeasurable. I hope to repay you o--" Elgarion was interrupted by the crack of the drover's whip above the heads of the draft horses, which were quick to lumber forward at their master's command. "Eh, if ye weren't so withered, I'd a dropped you at the gates. Best ye not wander so far, old man. Next ye meet someone less hospitable."

Elgarion watched in dismay as the wagon bounced away at a surprising pace; the wood and metal seemed to jostle rudely to him. As he turned to the tavern, soreness overcame the sorcerer. So many miles upon the road from Ardoris, and he felt all of them in his aching arse. Slinging the sack of books he had gathered upon this week's journey over his shoulder, the survivor of Kahli hobbled up the staircase and into the main common room to Bear Tavern. The room was warm, and already prepared for the upcoming eve's patrons. A fire crackled to his right, which garnered the interest of his weary and chilled bones. Plopping the books onto the floor at a corner, Elgarion approached the hearth.

To his pleasant surprise, there by the fire, Stryker Sparhawk had already began to savor his evening with a fine ale. Having only escaped the limbo of the Void some several weeks prior, Elgarion initially distrusted most he had met. That is... until finding refuge in PaxLair. Stryker was one of the first to offer friendship to Elgarion, and the old man took the gesture willingly. So many years he spent trapped in incoherent misery. His mind craved interaction and answers, and as time passed, Elgarion began to realize Stryker also was searching for something. Smiling, Elgarion, dust covered and exhausted from his venture, sat upon a pillow beside his friend.

Balec joined the two almost as soon as Elgarion had arrived, and the festivities of recounting the tales of this week's journeys commenced. The proprietor jibed on occasion, teasing Elgarion for his soreness when the groaning sorcerer complained of bumpy roads and potholes. Of note, this day, Balec Fares deCani sat amongst them. Not as their proprietor, but as a companion. Elgarion had even fetched the man a beer, to show a kindness and appreciation for the service Balec had always been so dutiful to provide.

As the evening waned, more arrived. Most were familiar to Elgarion, and he was happy to have their company yet again. Others were new to him, such as a man that goes by the name of Night Fury. Kind. A good heart, Elgarion had thought. High borne, surely, for his dress and manner were exemplary. Another, by the name of Thurisaz Sheol was polite in greeting, a good listener, and well attentive to the conversations of others. Again, Kazyn Phoenixfyre had taken refuge from the cold night air for an ale before retiring. Kazyn brings with him a presence to the room. I suspect highly, that this individual is well respected by many. An elf... one that seems to have bested the hardships which weigh heavily upon others of his race. And just as the fire was diminishing, two others arrived last minute to offer good tidings. Jack Knyfe and Ravicus Domdred. Neither took time for ale nor hardly a word. Just to see them stop in, showed there to be a comfort in routine common to all.

Near an hour they spoke of the news of the land, then one by one, each went about their way. Some to their homes. Some to their steeds to journey into the night. And one, to his chambers above. There, Elgarion sat, as was the norm upon the eve of his return each week. Quill, ink and parchment laid before him, and as an archivist, he scribed his recounting of events.

Stryker searches for "White Hart", as I do for Kahli. I do not believe this coincidence that our fates follow similar paths. I intend, in my studies, to search for mention of this "White Hart" as well. And by chance, if he will share my road, I will welcome his company.

Balec, he sat amongst us today. Duties called him into the wilds to combat the elves. And to my dismay but pleasant surprise? The man offered his sword arm to my cause and my search. With Stryker, could the three of us reach every corner of these lands without fear of ambush? Alone, I walk only the most travelled of roads. Together? We could take to the mountains. There, I know... Kahli is hidden.

Again mention of the Doomsayers was made. This time, from my lips. I inquired if there were sightings. There were none. I suspect reports of this threat might be exaggerated. Perhaps my mind is better spent with worry about undead or elves.

I made mention of my impending appointment with the High Priestess of Chaos, Lady Amber Raine. Her offer of aid to my research nears fruition, and I grow worried over the propriety of the encounter. Others, to include deCani, suggested better attire, which I hope to acquire before said meeting. But in the least, they put my mind to ease that the High Priestess was of a kind sort, and I needn't worry about any ceremonial considerations in her address. Already, I have acquired many volumes to study in preparation for this rendezvous. I hope that I will be adequately prepared.

The elf, Kazyn Phoenixfyre, made offer of his family's library in Port Phoenix. I most assuredly must travel there per his invitation. I'd be a fool to turn down an offer of aid, and one of this magnitude doubly should not go... <the ink dries, he dips his pen, but alas, the well is dry>

Elgarion sighed in frustration. He spoke with almost a chuckle, "Just upon my last sentence... it would seem Chaos demands I take rest." With stiff movements and occasional moans of pain, Elgarion dressed for bed, then slid in amongst the sheets. In only seconds, tired soul drifted away. His dreams this night returned him to the road. Upon a wagon he travelled. With each toss and turn in his slumber, another hole was struck by wagon wheel, and even in dream, his arse took more bruising.

9. Balec Fares deCani

As was often the case when riled up, Balec sat and drank with the patrons. Still, it was an unusually quiet evening at the Bear Tavern which did little to satisfy Balec's need to get decidedly rowdy. Adventure, out in the lands, always filled him with a spark. Fighting elves was a poor substitute for a real journey, but grand quests don't come by every day. Balec felt in his satchel for the remainder of the Brightbone Ice Wine, bade farewell to Stryker who had walked out with him, and turned directly away from his downtown home.

Under the evening stars, Balec set out alone, along the quiet roads. In his mind, he retraced his steps from a nearby town where he had spotted a small tavern whilst returning from the Savenroc earlier. He glanced back and thought he saw a candle flickering in his office window at the Bear. For some reason, it made him think of the funny look the room-maid had given him when he insisted she make up the guest room last week. Thinking of tavern windows, he quickened his step as he recalled those many thighs peeking from the spinning dresses as stockinged feet stomped to the joyous melodies that poured from the open windows.

Balec laughed at the thought of the evening's company taking to the road; unlikely companions, the ranger, the scholar and the bartender... but they *did* seem to get on well. Balec thought of how quickly time passed with his new friends. He had assumed Stryker to be long a native of Paxlair, but it sounded, this evening, as if he, too, may be a new arrival seeking some mountain refuge. It occurred to Balec how little he knew of these men. The Bear had been crowded recently and an air of interesting conversation swept in with these new visitors...there hadn't been the usual gaps in conversation for Balec to apply his trade.

Stryker had spoken of "defining" elves and questioned whether the Vertas elves were related to those in the Savenroc. Balec had hesitated to offer his opinion; ultimately, all elves, like all men, are born of the same origin; from a single time and place, but what really matters is how one chooses to live today. The stories spoke of Obsidian Sorcerers; matters of which Balec was unsure. On one of his early travels through Novia, Balec had met some Vertas elves who, although most polite, had not wanted to speak of the past. They certainly seemed quite different than the beasts who attacked from the borders of the Savenroc. And then there is Kazyn...and Amber...

With a twinge of remorse over slain elves, Balec kicked a stone down the road and knew he never had any hope of being a scholar or philosopher. He had always preferred reading people to reading books. These gentlemen seemed earnest and, when they set their notebooks aside, a bit of fun. Slowly, he was beginning to know them. Elgarion, it turns out, seemed to be seeking, not so much a past, but a future, which, in Balec's opinion, held much more promise.

The small shack was still alive with drink and laughter. Balec winked at some of the girls and nodded to familiar faces as he entered. Without looking, he accepted a sloshing mug and surveyed the dance floor as he made his way to what must serve as the bar. Balec watched the dancers and cringed at the idea of carrying Elgarion - a favorite pastime with the lasses who complained of having sore legs. In one breath the old man had thrown around names of some of the toughest. most widespread terrain on the continent as if they were dishes to choose on a dinner menu. Serpent's Spine, Spectral Peaks, Mariah Mountains indeed. The trip from Ardoris was long, but there was a solid road which was patrolled, plenty of stops and hardly any mountains.

Thoughts of how the old man would take to hard travelling faded as Balec tilted his mug high, raised his hand to call the barkeep and began to browse evening's possibilities.

10. Elgarion

(From the 1st of June's Monday Night 9PM EST reoccuring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

[​IMG]

Elgarion hobbled on aching feet up the steep staircase at Bear Tavern, a faint smile upon his weary face. The week had been long with sun, wind and road beating upon him, but again it ended on a pleasant note--amongst the patrons of Bear Tavern, the townsfolk of PaxLair and travelers from beyond its borders. Tonight, he would not write in his journal, save one singular passage.

There was much discussion this evening about Outlanders and Avatars. Having been emboldened by drink, I made suggestion that they were one in the same. Others were in agreement. This is of considerable relief to me. If this be true, then I rejoined the world at a time in which the Avatars have, in fact, returned. Relief... should another emotion instead burden my spirit? Some blame The Fall upon the Avatars. That answer is not clear; even after my considerable research I find too many conflicting texts. Relief... my people... still trapped within The Void, possibly by fault of those whom I now befriend. Avatars. And I feel relief in their return.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps those who agreed with me are also mistaken. Maybe the Avatars are still something of our distant past, never to resurface. All I know, is I am no Outlander. I am of this land and no other. As are my people. And regardless of possible errors of their ancestors, I trust in my new friends, that their offers of aid are genuine. And I trust, if in fact the Avatars have returned, they know not what they did.

Again, Balec treated us as royalty, ensuring we enjoyed our evening. My dearest of friends Blake Blackstone the Dwarf and Stryker Sparhawk from White Hart again took refuge here this eve. Luka, the kind bartender from the Order of the Drunken Elder's Tavern accompanied us in good spirit. Tolly, a new acquaintance of mine took great interest in our talk of Outlanders and Avatars. Such an odd surname he has. Gabriel Nightshadow happened by, a man which I had not seen for some weeks. It was good to see him again, and I learned something new of him. He openly claims to be of a time forgotten, but the circumstances for his claim seem entirely foreign to my own. I dare not speak as openly as he of my calamity. I fear most would think me insane. Adnor Sundragon sat next to my friend Stryker and provided him good company. Grimace? Another new acquaintance. He also spoke much of The Fall. Grimace. A surname perhaps? A nickname... I am not certain. Interesting, nonetheless. There were others, many of whom I cannot recount. Jack Frost be one, a man who I see often. I shall make better accounting of those in attendance in the future, for these notes might prove valuable, but I truly thank them for their camaraderie this evening. Our spirits were high, and our steins repeatedly empty yet filled again.

Elgarion paused a moment and stretched his aching back. Thinking just to rest his eyes, he let his head sink into his folded arms while sitting at the desk. One minute became two. Then ten. Perhaps another paragraph would have come if sleep did not overtake him. The candle slowly burnt away. The quill in his hand dried, as did eventually his ink well. The darkness took him again, and Elgarion De'Kahli returned to his people. A familiar yet haunting poem echoed in his unconscious mind as his spirit flittered about The Void in hopeless confusion.

Blackness.
    Darker than moonless night.
    All light escaped my sight.
    Time waned, endless pain.
    Why... why? My futile wanderings... in vain.
    Whispers teased,
    Offers of sight,
    But nothing came,
    Save the night.
    Centuries passed,
    Memories lapsed.
    This endless plight,
    All light escaped my sight.
    Blackness.
    Darker than the moonless night.

11. Elgarion

(From the 8th of June's Monday Night 9PM EST reoccurring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

This event occurred, but I didn't have time this week to post an in-character description. Tonight's event is starting in 10 minutes! <rushes out the door>

Leostemplar likes this.
  12. Elgarion

(From the 15th of June's Monday Night 9PM EST reoccurring event, "The Tavern Respite", at The Bear Tavern in PaxLair)

((FYI, I'll make a part 2 to this write-up before next Monday. Thanks for participating Balec, Stryker, Blake, Gabriel, Leos and Lothos! Great RP and I'm excited for some of this story starting to brew, eh?))

Outside a rustic oak door within the darkened upper hall of Bear's Tavern, a flickering light could be seen casting outward from beneath. Someone inside could be heard grumbling... sometimes speaking to himself. An old voice. Tones of frustration apparent. Sometimes the voice was in the common tongue and others of a more ancient language. Words were tested... slowly pronounced... then curses. Often parchment could be heard crumpling followed by the sound of wadded paper as it was thrust across the room in annoyance.

"Two letters... the same... the SAME! There is no such word... arrrrgh!" Elgarion lamented as he slaved away upon the mysterious missive provided to him by Balec. For hours now other patrons to the tavern, preferring sleep, instead labored to ignore Elgarion's voice which carried itself rudely uninvited into their rooms. Most were patient with the old man's tantrums, but others shouted complaints and not for the reason of a difficult translation.

That night, after their weekly recounting of events, Elgarion, instead of turning to his journal as he always did, had taken interest in a letter, written in runic and very much to his chagrin. The old man sighed deeply, then glanced to his journal at the far corner of his desk perhaps regretting his final choice of activity for this day. Shaking his head as if giving up, Elgarion stored his quill and ink, tidied for bed, then climbed in for slumber.

Elgarion promised to himself, "Tomorrow... tomorrow my mind will clear. I will record this week's events but most importantly, I must atttend to this letter. I must learn what was written to Tolly, if my friends feel he is in some danger. If in fact, this man is in need of our help, the letter could hold the key."

Content with verbalizing his thoughts, his eyes closed... Elgarion's mind spun wildly downward as if falling in upon itself. His old bones tingled with the false descent, and falling with him were letters of runic, trolls in the wilds, a strange faceless man named Artemis Wyte, and a stone egg. Each of these visions teased him to stay awake, another puzzle to be solved. But Balec's ale won another victory for Elgarion versus sleepless anxiety, and the tired sorcerer drifted away to a night's peace.

[​IMG]
    ((I believe the image was created by Tolly, but please correct me if I'm wrong folks, I want to give him credit for sure, fantastic job on the image. Or did Balec or Leos make the picture? I spent an hour trying to translate this and decided to take a break. I think I might need to start over because words are not forming correctly, and I think I already messed up hahaa.))

13. Net

Net Avatar

Wow, I need to crack this letter. I hope it is not just gibberish.

SirRichard and Gaelis like this.
  14. Elgarion

((Hahaa i certainly hope not as well. I spent 30 minutes on it today. It is encrypted though... It seems after you translate it to letters you then have to decrypt it... Though so far Im not sure of a single word Ive guessed...))

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

16. Elgarion

Ahhhhh, thanks for pointing out that other thread, Stryker!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.