Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dislike the "Challenge Dungeon"

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by cosmicvoyager, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

I do not see the point of the Challenge Dungeon. What is the story? Why are there animals like deer in a dungeon? How does one know ti kill them and why would you think killing them would open a door? Imagine being there. It makes no sense. It is a very simplistic idea like a 10 year old who never made a dungeon would make. It does not fit in the game.

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

From R10 release instructions:

"The Challenge Dungeon: This dungeon is now up and running and it is living up to its name by presenting quite a challenge near the end. It can be accessed in Braemar at the default starting point for new players. This dungeon will give us extremely valuable testing data for improving our AI and the PVE experience. Rumor has it that this dungeon may be the path to Lich Mountain!"

Remember that we are not here only to play, testing is very important to get the best final product they can deliver to us.

3. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

I read that. So the purpose is testing data? That is what it was designed for? It is not something that will remain in the game. If so, that is fine.

Lyran and Miracle Dragon like this.
  4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

The Challenge Dungeon is not too bad, but I think the point of it is not the best.

I see the point of it as a "grind fest" kind of loop... I hope that too much valuable loot will NOT be put at the end of this.

If the Devs are able to make this Dungeon more dynamic, they need to do somethings like: random generation to make the levels not be the same. I do not know if they can do this already but I do not think so.

Best case it will be a nice distraction and give people a short bit of excitement and battle-lust.

5. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

It must not stay in the final game. It does not fit in the world. There is no story. Why the heck are there deer?! Makes no sense. It is as old, simplistic, and mindless an idea as there is.

And there is absolutely no reason to think you should kill the deer to escape the room. Imagine being trapped in a room perhaps with animals and maybe other people. It would not even cross your mind to do that. It would be crazy. The only reason people do it in the game is because they are so used to killing everything. But there is absolutely no logic to it. It is a senseless slughter that you should should virtue for.

They say in the notes it is for gathering data.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge dungeon for what it was: to give them data to balance combat and skills. I was also going to agree that it shouldn't be in the final game but then I thought: why not turn it into a dungeon designer that can be placed in player owned towns.

It would work as follows:
    - you can place certain types of mobs anywhere in the dungeon
    - you can configure what loot each mob drops, but you have to supply that loot
    - the mobs give zero experience
    - you can still die and get durability loss, etc.

So basically it's another playable space that you own and set up challenges for your guild or for visitors to your town to hold contests or RP or whatever.

The mobs are simply decoratable objects just like any object you'd place in your home or property. And you can place any other house object in the dungeon too.

Your flip a switch after configuring and the dungeon comes alive.

7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I would love to see a posting of the results of this data:

1 player Results:

Farthest room reached, #6! By: smack!

2 player Results:

Farthest room reached, #12! By: Cosmicvoyager & Ahuaeynjgkxs!

3 player Results:

Farthest room reached, #18! By Iazon Paragon, Lady FireLotus & Lord British!

etc.

And if it's left in throughout all of Pre-alpha and Beta, they could post updated results each release, (when persistance is set in, once a week)
    like a leader board..

smack and Balec Fares deCani like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Another idea would be to leave a book at the completion of each level or on the last level, behind a gate that unlocks when you kill all the mobs on that level. Then you can sign the book and see who's signed it.

Logain, Jynx and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.