Engagement / Stretch Goals / Mechanics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So my thoughts on the dungeon development for players is this: Right now, they are working on tools infrastructure to support development of content. They are using us for hardening those tool sets and figuring out what works or doesn't work with players acting as random content developers. When those tool sets are ready and mature, then portalarium content developers will be able to build and test content using that same toolset augmented with dev abilities. So content could be developed and tested in game on either live or qa server and preserved within the system. This will allow newly hired content developers to jump in and develop content for the game without understanding a lot of the back end systems and utilities. Thus they can worry more about story and engagement than mechanical and tool set issues. Add to that players can augment the quest set to give people more options of something to do. Players can always burn through content faster than developers can make it.

That is my take on the push for giving us dungeon and quest tool sets.

Astirian likes this.
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I thought player-made dungeons were created as a way to expand on the housing deco which was a big draw for the game. It added more "flavor" to that.
    With your other concerns, yes, they opted to let people create dungeons bigger than their lot spaces in order to bring out more of that flavor. One thing to note: going into your basement requires you to open the hatch and go down. The dungeons are all portal-based. While the mechanic we see of a loading screen is the same, the concept is a bit different in that one takes you below your lot, the other transports you to somewhere else (at least that's one way to look at it).

Astirian likes this.
  3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

My workaround for this is I'm only doing the story(ies?) in single player for max immersion.

I like to use the online mode as a world I can pop into and do a project like start a furniture shop or start crafting magic rings etc... And dungeon building is just another cool thing I can do.

The way I make it work in my head canon is that evil is seeping into the land under people's houses and they don't even realize! Dun dun duuuun!

Vaiden Luro and craftymethod like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.