Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Defensive skill modifier from Defensive Stance is not applied

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Barugon, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

5/14/2018 12:51 AM
    Title: Defensive skill modifier from Defensive Stance is not applied.
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No.
    Details: If I use Defensive Stance after I use Dodge then the defensive skill modifier is not applied.
    Steps to Reproduce: See below for example.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 32158
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.Linux.64.773.Date.05.01.18
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01_template/Mystic Isle
    Area Display Name: Mystic Isle
    Loc: (17.1, 89.0, -72.6)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfE15c3RpYyBJc2xlfCgxNy4xMDIsIDg5LjAwMywgLTcyLjU3MSl8KDAsIDAuMDUsIDAsIC0wLjk5OSl8LTcyMi4zOTN8MTYuODE5MTd8MTg=
    • Without the Dodge or Defensive Stance, my dodge value is 38.84 (from /stats).
    • I use the Dodge skill and my dodge is now 55.34.
    • I then use Defensive Stance and my dodge is still 55.34.
    • If I use Defensive stance first and then the Dodge skill, my dodge is 60.95.
    I bugged this several releases back and still nothing has been done about it. Can you please fix this?!

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

So one of your prior bug reports is # 55707. It was investigated and then later verified that it WAS beefing up dodge. That report is from R51.
    So what are we missing here? Both our tech guy and QA could could repro. What else are you using? What could be the situational special sauce here as to why we see something different?
    @Barugon

3. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I thought this was by design. I always thought you had to activate Defensive Stance 1st and then use a skill like Dodge, Glancing Blow, Fortify Defense, to get the modifier.

4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Oh, I read Barugon's post as saying the same thing you just said. But I see what you mean now. And there is a difference indeed...it is a skill modifier. The other stances are more direct.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If I activate Dodge first and then Defensive Stance, the value in the tooltip (if I hover my mouse over the buff icon under my name) reflects the boosted value. However, typing /stats and reviewing my log shows that the boost is not actually applied.

If this is intended behavior then there are several problems with it:
    • There is nothing in the UI or player manual that says you must activate Defensive Stance first.
    • The tooltip shows the boosted value while the /stats output says otherwise.
    • It's just a really crappy design to put that kind of onus on the player.
    • I know that calculating the boosted value when Defensive Stance is activated second is possible because the tooltip says so.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I know that the defensive bonuses have always ONLY been applied if Defensive Stance was applied first, and then the other buff(s) would be be cast stronger because they were cast while in Defensive Stance.

However, I've always thought that it should be the other way around. Applying Defensive Stance (and remaining in that stance) should trigger the boosts in all of the applicable buffs that are already active.

The reason I say this is because you can activate Defensive Stance, cast all your other buffs (getting the bonus on all of them) and then activate another stance (like Berserker) and the bonus to all the other buffs will remain for their duration. Seems like a way to cheat the system IMO.

So, switching to Defensive Stance should be what triggers the bonus to the other buffs that are in effect, and dismissing Defensive or applying another Stance should cancel the bonus to other effects. The check for the bonus should be constant to see if you are in that stance or not. The check should not be what stance you were in for the few seconds it took to cast the affected buffs.

Hope that makes sense.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This doesn't happen. You can try it for yourself. As soon as Defensive Stance is canceled (or runs out), the bonus is removed. In fact, if you reapply Defensive Stance before Dodge ends, the bonus is removed.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Lexie
    Do you still need more info? It's pretty clear in my OP about how to reproduce this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.