Join the Localization Team!

Discussion in 'Localization' started by Attenwood, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPS61

JPS61 Avatar

hello their i m french and its good to see back ultima i was 11 years old when i play on my apple 2 ... if you need help for french translation i coold give you some...
    see y

2. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Then, please do as Attenwood instructed :

A plus peut-être

J from B.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm more than willing to do legwork and lend assistance on this project, however my foreign language experience are limited to high school introductory levels. However, I know there are some things, especially lore points, that might be difficult to explain in other languages without specific context.

Is there any use in having someone like me help in Localization, or will I be more of a hindrance? Just want to get some idea how much help I can be. Thanks!

4. Kliirkast

@Browncoat Jayson : Basic understanding of English is most of the time enough. I mean, if you fully understand the "in-game" English, the quests, the books, possibly with the occasional help of online dictionaries, you will be able to help.
    BUT what is mandatory is a rather high level in YOUR native language. Next to perfect grammar and spelling is a must... and of course you'll need to be very orderly when it comes to quests translating.

Hope to have made it a bit clearer.

J from B

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

@Kliirkast Sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm a native English speaker, with little non-English experience. I'd be interested in helping, if there is anything I can do.

I've done some work in assisting a fan translation, but it was mostly going through the English text and flagging words that could mean multiple things so the translators knew which version of the word to use, and occasionally explaining an idiom to see if it could be made clearer. This might be important for things like backer-created NPCs, where they are often idiom references themselves.

Kliirkast likes this.
  6. Kliirkast

Ha, yes indeed, this kind of help could be useful, especially when it comes to slang or idioms.
    Taking note of your offer, be sure I'll PM you from time to time to get some enlightenments on certain expressions.
    You might answer faster than the devs, especially when they just publish a new release as they have their hands full with bug tracking.

Take care
    J from B

7. serval

serval Avatar

I send a email tonigth

8. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Hmm, any clue of what you mean by "significant contribution"? Some hundreds of hours spending on translations maybe? :p

Just asking cause i think some of us could really use a bit more of royalty on their titles already. Just pointing out... :rolleyes::D

Duke Olahorand and Kliirkast like this.
  9. Neres

Neres Avatar

Is localization paused at the moment?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. Escarion

Escarion Avatar

No, they moved localization to Travian Games an recruited some of the old translators.
    Unfortunately they stopped talking to us. Obviously they are too busy to give us a final feedback in this forum.

Jorhoto and Paladin Michael like this.
  11. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

With Japanese [which I think I may volunteer for when localization for it is open], in addition to gender, there are also levels of formality depending on who you are addressing and nature of relations (e.g. senior, junior; business or familial; etc) and a whole lot of fun you can have in reflecting relationships in NPC discourse. [e.g. as an Outlander/Avatar can imagine most common NPCs would speak to you formally; I can see the Titans talking occasionally more informally to the Avatar] - and with the Kobolds [and some animals like dogs and cats] and their language, more fun can had there with clever uses of Japanese mora and Giongo (words that imitate sounds), Giseigo (words that mimic people and animals) and Gitaigo (representing a visual feeling or emotion e.g. "side eye"). For Japanese it would be critical to be able to ping the devs/writers and even LB to make sure it isn't just a direct translation, but it is framed in Japanese based on that NPC's perceived relationship with the Avatar.

For Japanese, would need to be able to accommodate hiragana, kanji and katakana (a character set specific for foreign words aka "loan words" not native to Japan like Computer aka "コンピューター"
    lit. "konpyuta" spelled with Japanese mora. Many concepts in Shroud won't have direct translations so will be important to have a wide vocabulary to know the proper katakana loan word or nearest equivalent. e.g. thre is no direct equivalent for AVATAR, but thanks to popular culture [and the film], アバター has become accepted as a equivalent and the concept is understood. i.e. using archetype as a replacement (典型) really wouldn't work because of its closer association/usage for "type" or "pattern." Katakana would also have to be used for nearly all of the city, town and character names.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    John Markus, Jorhoto and Net like this.
  12. Theoden

Theoden Avatar

Great to find this initiative of localisation. I am a long time Ultima fan (starting with Ultima IV on my C64).
    I'm doing research in game accessibility and localisation is closely related.
    With the legislation in the USA, Communications and Video Accessibility Act, I wonder what the SotA team are doing in this regard?
    I have a PhD student to start working with a community oriented approach this autumn, and I would love to get in touch with you and the SotA DevTeam. Please feel free to get in touch at thomasw@dsv.su.se or via the IGDA Game Accessibility SIG mail list
    Best,
    Thomas
    PhD and co-chair of IGDA Game Accessibility SIG

Time Lord and Daigoji Gai like this.
  13. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

I am from Malaysia..the one and only Malaysian

Redhammer and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.