Leveling Progression for Crafting needs fixing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It seems that the way a soft cap should work is that eventually, the XP requirement gets so insane it's not worth the effort to improve anymore up to the hard cap. But for those that want to, there should still be improvement. Otherwise, why have a soft cap?

Elwyn and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Sure..why do you think people spend so much gold on garlic, mandrake , chips .... they just sit at a craft table all day long and craft can easily pull 4-5 mil craft xp/day ....if your wallet is bigger you can probably double that by making batch scrolls .... that can yield about 120 -250 mil craft xp in a month ( thats an estimate but anywhere in there is douable ) . Just doing first time craft for all recipes and all artifacts can prolly give you 50 - 100 mil craft xp .

Anpu and Mishikal like this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

When I read Elrond's example in his first post, I see two things: avoidance and str. Neither of which changed.

4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

You make it sound like im trying to deceive people... ...i didnt make this post to convince ''the guys'' ..it was adressed to Chris ...he already knows the problems i presented are real ...so hoping to convince him to do something about it .

Please pick any masterwork you choose take it from 149 to 167 and show us the big benefit ... i already posted few masterworks .

Anpu, Fister Magee and Mishikal like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This problem actually occurs far earlier. Even going from 120-140 is really low return for investment, particularly since we're talking producer experience here which is significantly harder to come by than adventuring experience. I understand the concept of softcaps, but I have to agree with @Elrond , this is a bit nuts. You don't even unlock new things post-100 so you're really just grandmastering a skill 100, 200, 500 times over in experience for a 0.1-0.2 benefit. It definitely makes crafting feel 'why bothery' after a while.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Adam Crow So you're saying that with str, for example, it only goes up say .00001 from levels 20 to 38, and that's the same as 149 to 167?

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Ok Ill bite ..so whats your argument .... its ok for some masterworks to have no progression as long as others do ? or... 0.1 for 400 mil xp is a huge boost ...more then enough ..why cant you just be happy ?

Im still waiting for you to bring some numbers to the table to prove me wrong ... otherwise were just wasting time ..we can go back and forth for another 20 posts ..you suspicious, me trying to prove and in the end the result will be the same because numbers dont lie ...400 mil xp to gain 0 improvement to avoid mw.

Its not about me being happy but i do understand why youre happy with the current system . Anyway if you still think you havnt figured out the purpose for this thread all you gotta do is READ THE TITLE .

Gageman likes this.
  8. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Curious to see the spell damage and + fire damage at those rates ;)

9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Ok so your argument is ...it s there even if you cant see it ...and it provides value ... so were back to the same discussion we ve been having for years ...i say 0.001 is crap for the amount of xp it demands ...youre gonna say 0.01 is a huge gain for 400 mil... and so on..been there done that...quite a few times...

The leveling progresion for crafting needs to be fixed and i hope Chris will do it ....more points need to be alocated to the system and redistribution needs to be done based on xp used also not just levels....

The system we have now is very detrimental to high level crafters you want 0.5 for the stat...there you go 35k xp used.... you want 0.1 more sure cough up 1 bil xp...i mean seriously ...o_O

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If anything, I would say that for MW and EN, the slope, if graphed out in points gained in any particular MW or EN vs millions of xp invested should start of with the tiniest of sharp upticks, and then be a fairly flat progression from there, but with the points gained giving an incentive for investing the time and pain in the ridiculous amounts of monotony involved in EARNING and APPLYING the amount of crafting XP required to get MW or EN up into the 150-200 range.

(Edit: Clarified "points gained")

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Elrond like this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The problem, of course, is that so many skills are set up with TWO exponential curves, one for XP to next skill level, and another for what that skill gets you. So it's really not one soft cap, it's two of them.

I was actually impressed when they fixed up the refining skills to have a linear increase per level. Seems like it would be a good thing if they could do it to more skills, before they have to do totally absurd math to re-balance things when they do fix it.

Hmm, so this was the stats for one specific enchantment buff? It still seems like a double-dipping from the soft cap trough though.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Elrond like this.
  12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Same ....you can actually see improvements everytime you level .

Masterwork skills have not seen any change since persistance ..the system needs to be reworked and improved... and by that i mean ofc the leveling progression.

Mishikal likes this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Nah i never said that. I've said multiple times that once you get to a certain point, the xp costs too much to raise the skill and its not worth raising anymore.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You seem unhappy because maybe you've reached your soft cap and you don't want to spend more xp to raise your skill? That's the design. They can't just let us level the skills forever with great benefit or nobody will ever be able to catch up to the person at the top.

14. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Nah we just think the higher a skill gets the less benefit we get per xp used ... as it should be ...but getting 0 stats ( or 0.01 invisible stats ) for 400 mil xp its just a system that needs to be fixed....more stats need to be alocated to the system and redistribution needs to be done based on xp used also not just levels....

Hope that helps everyone understand what the problem actually is.... in case anyone tries to confuse you with curves...points and other stuff ...;)

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

That's the point of a hard cap... which is in place. Since we have both a soft cap, that makes it prohibitively expensive to raise a skill past a certain point, and a hard cap, that places an upper limit to the skill, it would make sense if there was a benefit to TRYING to reach past that penultimate goal, and strive for the apex. There should be something that rewards someone for spending the amount of xp and time needed to get there.

16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There has to be a stopping point somewhere. You've been complaining about this for a long time, but you keep raising your skills. So there must be some benefit to having an extremely high mw right? :D

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Are you suggesting 200 is the hard cap? Cause that is virtually impossible to obtain with the way producer xp currently works. Also the developers have said in the past they would just raise it higher if someone ever gets there. But with a producer skill that will never happen unless they make it much easier to obtain prod xp.

18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

There is ..its lvl 200 .

Just preparing for when the system gets fixed ...sooner or later it will happen .

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

But this isn't about the XP cost, it's about the effect being roughly nil even after spending the XP.

20. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

Here are a couple examples of how newbies are punished compared to us:
    1. We were able to purchase advanced recipies when the game started that are now rare drops. My recipie book is nearly complete. A newbie will be limited to making basic gear or pay anywhere from 1000-15000 gp a recipie from player vendors.
    2. We had access to methods of XP generation, like catapults that we enjoyed (15 million XP every time they had a release there for a while), that aren't available now.
    3. We had access to easy sources of resources like seiges that aren't available today.
    It seems that you want new crafters to never even have a chance to catch up. Since we are talking about "straw man" arguements, do you believe that someone that grinds the game 16 hours a day since the game started should have advantages over everyone else forever? Would that be good for the game? Do you belive that people will stay in the game if they will never be able to attain the highest levels of the game compared to others? A cap allows you to finsh your character, make a new one, socialize, or just play the game. An endless grind is a great way to kill off the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.