Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Patterns cause scrap & component loss

Discussion in 'Crafting, Harvesting, Salvage, & Agriculture' started by Mishikal, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This is a fundamental, majorly broken portion of crafting in SOTA right now. Please *stop* adding new patterns to the game (like the rusty sword done in this release) until this is resolved. Patterns should *not* prevent the ability to gather scraps and components from salvaged items. Particularly now that GM+ salvage *increases* the rate at which patterns are generated. Patterns serve little purpose in the game as a whole, while scraps and components are major aspects of the game. Even for the few people who want these junk items, no one needs several hundred of them.

Potential solutions that should make their way into *this* release.

a) Patterns are just another potential component drop

b) Players have the option to disable salvaging for patterns

c) An entirely different button exists on the crafting table for "pattern salvaging"

Option (a) seems like it would be the least amount of work and fit better with the overall crafting architecture. (b) is probably the next easiest implementation wise, while (c) would take a significant amount of work and is probably generally undesirable all the way around.

Thanks.

Chirp likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Is this a bug or feedback?

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I consider it a bug. They've made things worse this release than last release. I.e., crafting is even more broken now than it was before.

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Just to give an idea of how ridic this is, I have:

484 Elven Mage staff Patterns
    233 Elven Woodwind bow patterns
    196 Elven Estoc patterns
    144 Morning star patterns
    123 Worn Cloak patterns
    95 rusty chainmail gauntlet patterns
    94 rusty plate boot patterns
    87 rusty plate gauntlet patterns
    80 rusty chainmail boot patterns
    71 elven koncerz patterns
    60 rusty chainmail helm patterns
    56 rusty plate helm patterns
    (etc, got tons more, that's just in decreasing order)

All these say to me is "lost opportunity to get what I want". I don't need 484 mage staff patterns, I want all the *literally* thousands of scraps I would have obtained instead. For the bows, I much rather have the scraps AND the opportunity for bowstrings. Instead, I was robbed by these idiot patterns... and these numbers are *low* because I very carefully to not GM scrapping, as I want to avoid as much as possible the massive increase in pattern rate drops if I GM the skill. I.e., what has been done here is to disincentives training up a skill that otherwise would be very useful to me. That seems to be a rather problematic implementation for a skill....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    nimueCW, Chirp and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

I think we all agree that those patterns, especially the worn/rugged/rusty ones, are worthless.
    So getting a higher and higher skill in salvage should give you _less_ of those, not more. When you are skilled in it, you should be able to direct what you get.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Or just do the sane thing, and make it so that patterns don't conflict with scraps and other components (which is what patterns should be classified as). Then no one would particularly care how many patterns show up. I'm not clear why the developers think endless amounts of useless patterns is so highly desirable, it's an amazing disconnect from the reality of crafting.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Sannio Can you please ensure this thread gets put into a JIRA? It's rather critical feedback on how the game functions for players vs what seems to be very odd dev expectations. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.