Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Housing I think is alright.

There is always potential for popular new hubs in the new lands so players would not feel forced to get land in Novia/Hidden Vale.

2. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Forgive this post while I am on pain killers for just obnoxious getting older back issues....
    I can't say I hate this idea and I can really understand Chris's reasoning... a fresh start with a new expansion where everyone is at the same start point. That would appeal to new players and we need those. I get that very much. I get the advertising appeal of new and improved as the draw. I just don't see that going in-line with what everyone is used to with expansions to games. You get the new class expansions in new areas, those can be for level 1s, you get the new systems expansions (like ESOs assassin type of expansion), you get regular level increase expansions. That is what people are going to expect, so progression should be through episode 1 to 2 and you need to put the work into episode 1 to make it just as spectacular.

Alternately, you could try something of a heavy resistance to episode 1 skills in episode 2 or a new skill tree that builds up effectiveness of existing skills, or a faction system to do the same thing... Something like this new area has the effect of psychic dampener field that you have to build up a tolerance to as you adventure and kill mobs; this could even be a gear non visible item that you level up. Hopefully you guys are creating new trees of combat and magic and hybrids .. crafting that works better in this new area.

Or maybe it is possible to spin up a new server where everyone starts at 1 if they want to join it?

3. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

It's been known since Kickstarter that each episode is stand alone. This means each episode is going to need it's own leveling path from 1 to whatever.
    No one is losing anything with the soft wipe, pop back to novia and there's all your skills and xp just like you always had. Dominance in episode one should not transfer to new episodes without the same effort being put in again.

I say go ahead with that idea, most of the people threatening to quit are highly unlikely to do so, but even if they did but you get more new players in exchange... well it's worth it.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I dunno, but if the plan is to just forget ep 1 because 2 HAS to be out this year, it sounds like another too soon mistake to me.

There's no Travian pushing for launch, and the backers that were screaming for launch were wrong as well. Don't blow ep 2 by throwing out ep 1 because we are in some sort of unneeded rush. Just stay in business and keep going.

It's not like any of the launches got enough press to make it worth rushing towards anyway.

5. Rogosh of the Zog Cabal

Rogosh of the Zog Cabal Avatar

If they wiped all the equipment what's going to happen to all the patterns that I bought with my money? I've sunk more money into this game than I have any other game be it on patterns, deco, or so on and so forth. I'm not going to be afraid of this happening, because if it does happen I'll quit playing and never sink another red cent with Portalarium. Until now I've been pretty supportive of SOTA, but I'm not working on my characters of a game that has been fully released and launched to have a wipe.

Whatever happens, happens.

Osiris3 and kaeshiva like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Your gear will still be in episode 1 but not go into 2. If you haven't applied it yet I believe you might have it in either.... Not sure

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A - They're not wiping equipment.
    B - Everything you have now (skills, gold, armor, houses, etc.) you would still have when you're in Ep1.

8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

This would then make everyone want to stop buying everything which I highly doubt is their intention since things in our houses pay for it all. Not being able to take those onward would not make sense.

9. Rogosh of the Zog Cabal

I'm just saying, whatever happens happens. If they do wipe all gear and skills, then I wouldn't play any more. No point in sinking time into a game if everything you've done just doesn't matter. This wouldn't be bothersome if it were Alpha or Beta, I could understand that, it's not a beta or alpha any more. There are a lot of options that could be explored and implemented that could change the game for the better.

10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I don't understand the point of posting a private conversation where it is just chatting and nothing is decided. Am I missing something here?

Jaesun, Redhammer, Xkhan and 2 others like this.
  11. Rogosh of the Zog Cabal

I think some people just like to get people riled up.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You mean like the op that needed to do his own post to add his.... outrage.... To the masses and couldn't use one of the existing posts?

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I believe it's important to get this discussed now rather than a later. The devs have nothing set, so polite discussion, ideas, debate may save a lot of pain later.

smack and Cordelayne like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I believe it's about 14-15 mins into the interview (below) where Chris talks about the "soft" wipe.
    The only things you can't take into Ep2 are skills and weapons, I believe. (Not going to re-listen to it atm).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    smack and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  15. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Thanks Frostll. Sounds more like were talking non decor items. Meeting is on Wednesday. So it's the perfect time to say hard no. Not keen on this idea at all.

Osiris3, By Tor, Redhammer and 4 others like this.
  16. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'll pass on the soft wipe, thank you very much :D.

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd like to know how they'd do it.
    I mean, I'm assuming that you won't be able to just "Teleport" into Ep2, but rather have to log your char out of Ep1 then in to Ep2.
    Either that or your skills disappear during a teleport as well as your armor, right ?

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

And now envision lord British porting to one of the events in ep 2 arriving totally naked. That's kinda priceless and somewhat sells this terrible wipe idea better to me ^^

Elwyn and FrostII like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

As one of those people who've spent thousands of hrs building my Ep1 char, my first reaction to this was NO WAY - like most of you.
    However, having thought on it for a while - I suppose I could live with it.

Hear me out....

I'd (like you Sara and you Andar and Mac, et al) have like a kajillion point pool to play with on my "new Ep2" self, at twice the current skill gain rate.
    I could quickly build that archer/air tune that I've been thinking about, and have a half a kajillion point pool left for whatever.
    I'd have plenty of dough since we share gold..
    And my Ep1 char is untouched.
    But then, I'd not have my Str/Dex/Int to bring ( or would I, he didn't get into that aspect)...
    Hmmmm..........

Talk me out of it........ ;)

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thinking more on it, if we start as Adv Lvl 1 then there goes my Str/Dex/Int .
    Hmmm...
    In the end, after a few months "work" on a char in Ep2 ( for those of us who'd have the kajillion point xp pool to work with) - we'd leave all the "new to Sota" Ep2 players in the dust anyway, which is the primary reason for a "soft-wipe"... right ?

I think I've talked myself out of being able to "live" with a "soft-wipe" that would mean nothing after a few months... In terms of being far above the "new".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.