SotA with ps4 Gamepad awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazafk, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazafk

kazafk Avatar

Hi,

last evening i felt like i needed some way to travel around a bit in the game from my couch and normally id just have used xpadder to map some keys and some xbox gamepad as i did with other games. But i wanted to use the ps4 gamepad for SotA since i felt, the multitouch-pad on it could really be useful for this game, since you can use it to move the mousepointer for example. So i wanted to share my findings.

I came across a quick solution, which did not only end in having a lot of fun playing the game with a ps4 gamepad, but feels like im gonna play more often this way. Its very natural and fluid thanks to some of SotA 's control-concepts like tab to switch between mousepointer or targeting mode, which seem to fit a gamepad (and especially the ps4 gamepad cause of its multitouch-pad) very well.

So all you need is an app named ds4windows (http://ds4windows.com/), making your pc recognizing the ps4 gamepad and emulating a standard xbox gamepad. Additionally it comes with the possibility to map your controls (what you wont need,besides the multitouch, cause we need more keys and therefore another app named xpadder) and most importantly to use the gamepads multitouch as a mouspad.

Since d4windows has no support for multi-page-setups (huge amounts of keys we need) and SotA needs a few more buttons than the basic ones, im using xpadder alongside with it to be able to fit in all the buttons. Xpadder is a well known app for mapping keys to a gamepad for games with no native gamepad support, and since ds4windows makes the ps4 gamepad look like an xbox one, xpadder will now recognize it and make the mapping super-easy.

Most import thing to do is, to enable "hide ds4 controller" in ds4windows's settings, since everything will behave weird together with xpadder if you dont. And launching ds4windows before xpadder (when closing stuff down, close xpadder first).

So when i found out how those both apps will work nicely together, i came up with a basic setup, fitting most of my needs controlling the game with the ps4 gamepad. Since xpadder allows different control-sets which can be triggered by holding a button like left-trigger for example (so you can use a single button on the gamepad for more than one purpose, making x for example=1 and left trigger+x=5), its very easy to fit all the keys needed into an easy control-scheme.

(i just wanted to include pics of my buttons setup, but found out theres no way to upload images from my pc to the forum, or i dont see it)

Maybe others like the way to play the game this way too!

grtx

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't have a PS4 controller, but I've tried with just my XB360 one and it works fairly well.

To add pics, you can't host them directly to the forum. Upload them on dropbox or imgur, and then insert their URL using the image button on the toolbar.

3. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Avatar

pls share your sota profile for xpadder, i cant figure out how to make it work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.