Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Watermill Player House: Adding a Channel

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There has been some discussion about the millhouse, it's wheel, and how the positioning of the wheel, it's fixed rotation direction, and the possibility/probability of it being placed on the shore of a lake or other non-flowing body of water can make it look out of place.

The devs have revealed some of the design decisions that went into making the millhouse, including intentionally moving the wheel to the side of the building rather than on the back where it was originally placed.

I have a proposal that I believe addresses the potential oddities, and will make the millhouse 'work' in all settings.

[​IMG]

Dark Green: Shore
    Light Green: Millhouse
    Brown: The Waterwheel
    Dark Grey: Stonework (existing)
    Light Grey: The new bit... A stone channel.

Explanation: Just as the stairs and walkway meet the shore and interpenetrate, I propose adding a Sluice and Channel made of stone that would start at the bank, and extend past the wheel... This would simulate a Spring, or Underground Stream exiting the bank and being channeled to drive the wheel. The shore side of the channel would be covered, to allow for variable penetration into the bank... At the opening of this closed section, where it becomes and open channel, could be some splashing water FX as a nice to have... Other possible decorative embellishments might be a grating just inside the opening, and/or a Wheel on top that would be turned to open/close the sluice (Decorative, non-functional).

With this, whether the Millhouse is placed on a flowing stream, a lake, or a bay, and regardless of the flow of the stream or lack thereof, there is a visual explanation for how the wheel is driven that is equally applicable to all settings.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

(This 'duplicate' thread and its location were pre-approved by Berek)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Hazard, Barugon, Fiero Steele and 9 others like this.
  2. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Well thought out.

darkskwerl likes this.
  3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

[​IMG]

I think this would be better for immersion. Also, maybe add something inside or outside, using the movement of the wheel, as the wheel is here for a reason when connected to a watermill, usualy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Love it!
    I would gladly buy the ' Rufus' version for my bay side water lot at Elad's.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Despite the very South Park looking graphic, it's a good idea. :)

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've never once in my <transmission garbled> years of existence claimed to be an artist.

CrandalltheFoole and Barugon like this.
  7. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

This would also be a good substitute for all those lighthouses in Owl's Head - on that creek after the bridge that will stop any boat from traveling upstream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.