Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Soltown: Talking to Abigail, if your first path wasn't the path of love: No clue about Charlotte ...

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Paladin Michael, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

If we choose another path than love as our first one and when we entering Solace Bridge, Charlotte isn't there any longer :(

Problem in this case:
    1. We get no clue in Soltown, she died. We can assume, because of the skeleton on the first floor.
    2. We can't give Abigail any information about her daughter - or husband.

If I would be a new player I would try to find a clue about Charlotte and Johan in and around Soltown, because Abigail is asking about Charlotte and tells the name of her husband (Johan).

It would be good to find anything about them (may be Edvard could give us a clue?)

If not, a new player could follow this information, running back to Solace Bridge (latest, when he gets the quest from Raymond to look after his hammer).

This part of story is cut by the reason, Charlotte is dead(?) and there is no clue.

So, please consider to let her be alive, even if a new player chooses another path first.
    My idea: put a big chest upstairs - or somewhere around - and let her hide inside!
    And when we open it, she jumps out ;)
    So a happy end could happen also if one choose another path for the first time ;)

Hermetic, Vyrin and Kara Brae like this.
  2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

AFAIK there was aletter to be found from the commandant about a Johan....but i only played this part with my Love-start-avatar yet...

Paladin Michael likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I vaguely recall finding a letter around there somewhere.

4. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

I started on the Truth path and encountered the same situation.
    Edvard told me that Charlotte had died when I went to Solace Bridge and asked him about her, but I couldn't pass this on to her mother, and was unable to find any further evidence.

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I think the skeleton on the first floor is there whether you get the starting Path of Love scene or not. I could be mistaken. Long ago memory....

Anyway, this is one of the first quest/story elements in the game and it's still not right? Good grief. I hope this is just a misunderstanding of the way it works, but...

6. Paladin Michael

No, when starting wit Path of love, there is no Skeleton ;)

But there are more important parts to look after, like I wrote here

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Vyrin likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Unless they changed it for this release (which is entirely possible), there is a skeleton on the first floor in both versions of the solace bridge scene, both of which have a note under their arm... which is part of a major part of the problem with this scene’s differing aspects. By implication, the skeleton belongs to the author of the note, but in the battle scene, the letter is from Johan, and a living child (Charlotte) is upstairs. In the regular aftermath scene, the letter is from johan’s commander, and a child-sized skeleton is upstairs, implying that some child passed away.

Vyrin likes this.
  8. Paladin Michael

That's right - unfortunately, if you don't begin with path of love, Charlotte is gone. But there is no possibility telling her mother in refugee camp what happens. If the starting scene changes, because a player don't start on this path, there should also be a change to provide information to Abigail. Actually, we can't tell anything. I think it would be best we could find Charlotte in Solace Bridge (may be as it was years before secure with the friendly Elf Kirtakis). So the quest could be done - equal what path we are starting with :)

Hermetic likes this.
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

This dilemma with Charlotte and Aigail was brought up with Lum when the love path opened up years ago. His response was that it was designed to leave Abigail in a state where she has no clue as to what has happened to Charlotte and can never find out. Tough love I guess.

Now he could change his mind, but I'm not sure he will.

Jaesun and Owlbear like this.
  10. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

Thanks for confirming that it's a feature, rather than a bug. :D

I think the problem is that it doesn't feel so much like deliberate ambiguity as a broken flag.
    If Edvard said something like "she was last seen fleeing the undead across the bridge, but no one knows what became of her after that", it would feel a LITTLE more ambiguous (albeit still like a quest setup).

But the fact that he goes "nope, she's dead, very sad" and you can't pass on word to Abigail? That just feels unfinished.

Jaesun, Rentier and Paladin Michael like this.
  11. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

I chose the path of love with my first character and was able to save Charlotte. I started with another path with my 2nd character and was disappointed that I not only didn't have the chance to save her but couldn't even tell her mother she had died, after finding that out from Edvard when I went back to Solace Bridge. And how come Edvard doesn't recognize me? I met him in Highvale.

Many things wrong... Like all the main quests this one is a mess. I am surprised they have released the game to the general public in this condition. Spiritual successor to the Ultima games? What is a higher priority than these main quests? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.