Game shutting down my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Poldera, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poldera

Poldera Avatar

Hi all I'm having issues getting into game. I load up to about 98% to the Isle of Storms and my computer shuts down and restarts. I did once catch a glimpse of the Isle but the computer shuts down and restarts. I have an Asus Prime Mobo an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 cpu 16 mb of ram and an AMD Radeon R7 360 vid card. I play other games just fine but with SotA it just shutd down and I don't understand why . Any help would be amazing.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Poldera first of all, Can you go into even viewer and see the exact error message you get?... Does the PC just shut down without restarting?

It is important to pinpoint the problem

Can you try start on world map?

I noticed something when I had Radeon chill On I had issues pc getting restarts while playing SOTA Can you check If you have Radeon chill turned out?

You can try some of the usual stuff... If those doesnt work

Clean install your graphics drivers (Some people swear by the windows finding driver utility)

Reinstall game...

Maybe format

Hope you can get it fixed!

3. Poldera

Poldera Avatar

I went into viewer and all i get is a Kernal 41 error code Ive done all the normal fixes reinstalled the game redid my drivers up dated all the ones I could think of. and its a black screen and restart.It's becoming very frustrating.

4. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

All i can think of at the top of my head is this,try changing your power settings,check if you have a faulty PSU and if not maybe re installing windows.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Sounds as if something is overheating, and your computer is protecting itself by shuting down/restarting. Could also be that it's a circuit that is cracked and when your computer MB hits a certain temperature the circuitry is expanding/seperating, which triggers an error and subsequent reboot. This could also be on your GPU. SOTA is a very demanding game, so that may be why it doesn't occur on your other games. These are just guesses, and hopefully it helps you to pinpoint the issue.

6. Poldera

Poldera Avatar

Thanks all will try to see what may be overheating

7. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

There are a few weird power settings on Windows 10 (and 8) that can cause some issues.

Do not mix this up with "Fast Boot" because its actually "Fast Startup".

https://m.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

You can turn it off though by using the instructions in that link.

It may well not be your problem but it could be worth a shot as I know it caused the same shutdowns as the VRM overheating did for me with the 9590.

Dont know about Ryzens though.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Poldera like this.
  8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Sounds like an overheating issue to me as well. There are a couple monitors you can use to keep an eye on your temps. HWMonitor and Speedfan are two good programs to check them.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

SOTA would most definantly not "shut down" your computer. Computers shutting down are usually from over heating. It can also be from bad hardware (like a ram chip and in the old days ou got a blue screen of death... not sure if Win10 even blue screens or jsut reboots) Check the temps of your video card and mother board. Check your CPU fan and reseat it, a lot of times in movement the fan can pop off a bit (cant even notice it) which leads to melt down. Get your hardware fixed fast before you lose something.

Sorthious and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

A lot of good advice said here already. However, one thing I think you should clarify/confirm...

In your OP you said you had 16 mb of ram... I hope you meant 16 GB or else you likely won't be able to play this game.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes, if you computer instantly shutsdown it is 99% of the time a overheating issue. If it instantly reboots, mostly not overheating issue but probably a crash/blue screen.

12. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

This could also be an inadequate power supply. Make sure you go in to settings on the Sota startup menu before starting the actual gameplay and set the graphics to "fastest" to lower power consumption.

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

A lot of times this will happen due to power supply issues and very often heat will cause the issue.

Be sure your fans are all running and that your machine is clean. If you haven't blown it out in a while, you should, for sure. Dirty fans get slow and air grates can get clogged. This will increase the chance for heat to build in the machine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Sorthious likes this.
  14. oren

oren Avatar

You can run FurMark and watch your temps and see if it shuts down. If it doesn't shutdown then try running the game from a different drive.

15. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I personally have This issue:

What happens for some verions of MSI GTX 1070 cards:

* The bug is with older revisions of the GTX 1070 (Someone said there were at least SIX revisions of the MSI 1070, I don't know how accurate that is), where any voltage beyond 1.013v is bugged and causes crashes. This voltage step can only be used with Boost 2 (automatic overclocking), which 8A disables (Only boost 1 is active).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...vr-gt72vr-reboot-crash-problem.804978/page-30

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm a bit late to this thread, but that's exactly what happened to me a couple of years ago when I got a new graphics card. The computer had a 400W power supply, and everything worked fine until SotA started cranking up the GPU, then the whole system shut down within 60 seconds. I was even able to play a game just fine that had much less demand on the GPU. There were two or three hard drives in there, and it must have been right below the rating of the power supply.

17. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

With that vid card, if it is thermal like above mentioned. FIX = Download an overclock utility, you then UNDERCLOCK your GPU several hundred mhz and manually set your gpu fan up to around 60-65% and keep an eye on that gpu temp. Sota can be pretty rough specifically on sub-pascal type cards. I manually underclock my GTX970 250mhz and crank fan just for Sota because I don't like how it runs default. As for the loading thing in general, Sadly disabling sound can sometimes "lift some weight" and get you in. (Vid cards have come a long way since that card you have came out in 2015)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.