Sieges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Problem with the hardest enemies is that you get a CHANCE for a very rare item or some of the best supply bundles. It IS balanced if you kill those repeatedly but, most of the time, you are challenged for nothing (5 gold coins, 2 obsidian chips and 1 sulfurous ash for defeating a Dark Lord, hmmmm). The base loot should be improved a little bit : more gold coins, gems, some gold ingots, a small chance to get artifact essence...

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Um...not „the one area“. The dialogue system, Quests and the Journal are the weakest areas in my opinion, and they are the hardest to fix.

Loot tables are probably easy to change. However the devs may find it problematic to let a minority class of trillionaires manifest itself by handing out super loot to those few players who can solo a siege in 5 minutes. I‘m glad it‘s not my problem to solve.:)

3. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I think you have to see it that way if you get once in a while an artifact this is greatly increating your average loot value.
    E.g. if the chance to get an artifact would be 1% and an artifact is worth 20 000 gold. This means on average you get this way 200 gold for each kill.
    You have the choice either killing weak enemies in masses for a constant income or gamble and just kill the difficult enemies with a small chance to win the jackpot (artifact).

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Liltipsy

Liltipsy Avatar

I do quite a few sieges and the loot does suck but also I have to consider that by myself it takes about 6 minutes to complete the siege from start to finish including the cabalists. But I do not think that cabalists should be dropping grey bundles, which seems to happen quite often.

5. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

AS with many bosses, i dont think needs some extra power gear, just add various small adds. Maybe a nice amount of obsidian chips, little bundle of regs, or repair kits, or pcks of potions... all of this as a regular loot. Maybe remove the robe, and include a high chance of getting a robe parts, who can be assembled into a robe. Maybe some kind of little fog generator for deco, you know, things that dont descompensate.

6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am probably in the minority but i actually am a fan of the dialogue / quests and journal system. Other than obvious bugs (ive experienced several so i get it). But the loot tables... Always ticked me off.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Who hurt you as a child?

8. Almar

Almar Avatar

I can't kill the cabalists, but I run through every siege I see wiping out the three camps of engineers etc. I get some good XP and crafting loot.

I usually do it in private mode though, so nobody shall innocently walk into a cabalist slaughter zone

9. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

How do you promote new players to play the game and be properly rewarded by a great loot and keep old players who can kill anything - from farming that great loot day and night? SoTA has a big issue with two groups of players. The #1 group - high level players, with a lot of time on their hands, with millions of gold and who are able to kill anything that moves, they already have all the artifacts there are to have and they dictate they prices on the market (hugely overpriced) based on their own income, another group - beginning and medium level players, who can't afford anything because of the group one inflated prices.

Loot is awful to keep high levels from farming it all, but the low level players have to suffer and hate the game, since they can't get proper reward versus the effort they spend. I completely understand why the guy logged off, after multiple attempts to kill the boss and getting 15 gold and 5 madrakes as loot. It's an unbalanced system that supports grind and a broken effort v reward ratio. And there is nothing much they can do, other than penalize the higher level bracket, which leaves no interest for lowbies.

10. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

His name was bob. He seemed like a nice guy at first. My uncle even said he trusted him. I was told there would be candy, but i was never prepared. Once the clown shoes came out everything went wrong from there. I'm still in therapy, but ill never look at a panda the same way ever again.

11. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

This thread was 1 years old.

12. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Let's beat it up a bit, maybe the dead horse will rise!

13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The new player shouldnt kill cabalist since they are end game content boss. The clock you have to follow can be done multiple time in a day, taking 7 day to get THAT item you want isnt that much. There is a kid game out there, wizard101, i had to farm months to get THAT item i wanted. Everyone do it without complaining, if kid can handle it, i guess we can too. And yes boss does respawn on party mode still, because instead of fixing problem they created another but i wont go into detail, said enough like this. If you want rare stuff boss drop its easy just go to any player vendor they probably sell artis for a few golds (cause they drop very much). Now imagine if we were 10k player playing this all day long, ur rare cabalist loot would worth thin air.

14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Normally we'd lock necro'd threads, but the subject is still relevant, so please continue :).

15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Maybe incorporate code to examine their adventure level and build a loot table based upon that? The bosses would have more for lower level players. High level players could still have a respectable return but lower.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

[​IMG]

Solazur and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Some how, I feel that when @Berek is about to start moderating, this one is more appropriate:

[​IMG]

18. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

You know what? I've actually thought about this same thing, while writing the original post, to gate the loot table based on player's average Adv Level, but then again, what will prevent people from creating alts to farm the "good" loot, and feed their mains, or have a weakling in their group to confuse the system? How will it then decide what loot to distribute since the average group level will not show the true condition of a single player? As an alternative, why high level players even have to be penalized for loving the game and spending their long hours in it? It makes sense to be able to rake in the rewards if you've already played hundreds of hours. Why would high levels need to be limited...

There is nothing really wrong with rare chance of looting the artifacts, but the base loot from the bosses, or dragons, it supposed to be a hoard of items, no matter who kills it. What they NEED to do, is add a counter that looks how many times that specific avatar killed this boss and as more times he kills the boss in one day, as junkier the loot table becomes. PROBLEM SOLVED - no more boss farming, unless they are farming for a rare. Let them at it then.

With this kind of system, the two young players, who suffered for 2 hours with multiple death's, killing one boss, would be appropriately rewarded before they give up. But the high level farmers, will not get a hoard of items before they already killed this boss previously or already killed him multiple times on that day. I am GENIUS! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Very true. There would need to be some tweaking to make it better. Maybe incorporate a cooldown timer as you mentioned. When killing bosses, even if they had alts (which we can't really control), it would help mitigate a little the concern.

I'm thinking with more discussion, it could be further refined. Some thoughts on how it might be done.

20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

So let me get this right. The answer is to penalize hardworking dedicated players and reward the casual gamer? I realize that the rare stuff should drop on the more difficult mobs. That creates the disparity which is rooted in dedication, hard work and perhaps physical ability. What is the answer? I have always felt that every single mob should have a chance to drop something nice. Even if you stay in 1 or 2 skull areas, you should have a chance to get high end loot. We need to distribute loot across the board on a graduated drop rate, everyone has a chance and the pursuit of reward will exist at all levels of play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.