Virtue Impact Questions

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Thelon, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

The Oracle thinks I don't care much for Truth. I don't recall stealing anything - well, okay, I think I stole some food from an upstairs room once. I *have* been killing chickens and sheep and cows in towns, but the guards don't care, and the names aren't "THIS IS STEALING" red or anything. Is this against Truth?

The Oracle seems to think I care a lot about Courage - how would you *lose* courage? I fight and win, or I fight and die (usually because I misjudged). Occasionally I fight, and "tactically reposition", coming back to kill after some healing. Any of that matter?

Any other common CRPG or MMO actions I might be unaware is/could impact my standing with the Virtues?

And -- does it matter? If the Oracle thinks I'm a dirty rotten scoundrel, and I ask for a "test", *saying* I'm a dirty rotten scoundrel is accurate, and still gets me the 250xp...

2. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi Thelon

the virtue system in the game is an interesting part. as to the main quest it does not make any difference and up until a couple of releases ago with the inclusion of an area you can only go if you are a bad person "the jack of Diamonds" and in the next release, it affects how virtue armour benefits work.

you can repair your Truth virtue over time if you stop stealing (and I will test about the killing of the sheep in towns) and asking the NPC's name and job.

and remember just agreeing with the oracle gets you 500 gold and 500XP each day.

welcome to the world of Novia
    if you need help please contact me and I will help you in the game I have created videos that can be found on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/skeggymedia and I stream on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/skeggy_media and happy adventuring in this World full of Adventure. in the ingame chat box you can send me a friend request by typing /friend skeggy media I accept all friends requests.

Thelon likes this.
  3. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Someone said that giving the wrong answer when NPCs ask your name also gives a truth loss.

The Oracle deemed me untruthful for a long time without me knowing why. Then I raised it by making truthful choices during quests in Bloodriver Outskirts and Aerie.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Have you been breaking crates and barrels in towns? Have you ever noticed an NPC say "What was that?" (Even the cats have eyes!)

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The beauty of the Virtue system is that it really doesn't matter (from a progression stand point.) Richard Garriott just wanted to implement a system where all you have to do is be you.

If you take something that isn't yours (regardless of where it is) that is technically stealing. So, in reality, looting a bad guy that you kill is still stealing. I'm not really sure how/why this should affect your Truth Virtue, but it does.

If you tell an NPC your name and you either spell it wrong or don't give your full name... that is considered a lie. Even if you only tell them your first name (when you have a first and last name) it can be considered a lie... so be sure to put your full name in there before hitting enter. Luckily, they have changed the clickable responses to an NPC asking your name to be your full name... so it's much harder to make that mistake now. But early on, I used to just tell the NPC's "My name is Daxxe" and didn't realize I should have said "My name is Daxxe Diggler".

So there are many little things that you can do to incidentally lower your virtue standing. However, the many good deeds you do will add up and counter the little things you do.

Just do what you feel is the proper thing to do, and don't worry about what it your virtue score is. The only think it really does now is it can possibly change your Shroud of The Avatar from white to black. Starting next release, it will also affect some Virtue Gear in terms of what stats they will have on them. But, from what I understand, some items will be better with bad virtue and some will be better with good virtue. No matter which side of the scale you are on, you will find some benefits so don't sweat it too much.

Moiseyev Trueden and Bie like this.
  6. Radioman USN

Radioman USN Avatar

Not sure if this is the case anymore. Read R53 notes. If you have bad virtue, gear will have - Health stats while good virtue is + Health stats. Sounds like we're all being forced down the celibate Paladin role.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So, no change?

Ffred and RadiomanUSN like this.
  8. Radioman USN

Radioman USN Avatar

lol, yeah, this has been the biggest disappointment so far. but i have hope.

9. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

Well, nothing says you have to wear the virtue gear. The Jack of Diamonds laughs at the celibate paladin in his fancy armor, swigs back a brew, and "enjoyes" the willing bar servants on his lap... Hypothetically.

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Remember, what really matters is The Oracle's view on virtue. And The Oracle is a machine, after all.

Are you sure about that? One thing about the Oracle is you can ask (once a day per virtue?) on an event that impacted your virtue. Taking an item from a corpse that was lying around as part of the scene, and not killed in combat, will affect your virtue, but one that was killed properly in battle, even by someone or something else, is just fine. But do keep in mind that apparently just checking the pockets of a scene corpse (except for an undelivered mail corpse) without taking anything will be enough to get the virtue hit.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.