Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's funny you should say that 'cause I just walked into a den of wolves.. granted they weren't green but still..

What we have here is a vast difference in expectations. I never tried to become invincible in melee.. nor have I ever hald that expectation. As such it's hard for me to consider the 'tank build' to have been destroyed by going back to around where it was 3 months ago. I'm just not seeing a huge difference between then an now.. I don't have any need to adapt or any notion that I should. My biggest concern is how long my sword is going to last before I need to replace it.

I'm also in no hurry to reach level 200. I plan to be here awhile and will take my sweet time leveling up.

I still feel as though I have further viable options open to me that I haven't made use of yet.. I've quite a decent stock of dragon meat and will be working on stocking up on regen potions and the like for those special occasions.. picking the right specs.. still not considering magic at all.. not even basic healing. Though I do expect to get non-magical healing somewhere down the road, looking forward to that. :)

Yes I do understand a certain fun factor is involved in feeling you can just walk in and overpower something... I've just never played that way outside an Elder Scrolls. :)

Elwyn, jschoice and Duffrey Blake like this.
  2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yes, we do. Glad you're ok with the change. I have invested 1500 plus hours in since persistence and I think I've earned the right to walk into a den of green wolves and not almost die. That took me a long time to get there. I was no more powerful than a mage or archer at my level. They could do things I can't.. but that's one thing I could do that they would have trouble with. The devs took that away.

3. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

i am a earth/tamer build an with the loss in the skills to protect really the only thing the earth skill set had worth anything but woo hoo alil more carry capacity, i mean things re not getting fixed or changed for the better, not sure my time in but i know its been alot lol an it seems to just keep declining. Truelly ruining a skill set is in no way fixing anything in that set when that set depends on the little it has.

By Tor and FrostII like this.
  4. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Not trying to call you out, or make you out to be a liar but I would LOVE - L O V E to see some videos of your gameplay, please show us your gear/your skills. I see you talk often about non magic healing too, so I am assuming you mean to tell me you are carrying lesser, greater, imbued etc etc healing pots (expensive, but to each his own). I wan't to see what "I am having NO trouble at all in my full plate atm" looks like and why it looks that way for you instead of how it looks for Tor and Myself. I think it would help us to get to the bottom of this.

By Tor and FrostII like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It's a matter of degree, @Bowen Bloodgood .
    Could YOU not walk into a den of, oh let's say Large Grey Wolves, and rule ?
    Tor isn't saying he could walk into a dragon scene and rule, he's talking about wolves that are green to him.......

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  6. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

I also think people are completely forgetting that we still struggled under R52.. we were by no means invincible and the very notion that we were is completely laughable. Again I have video of myself in a siege solo during R52 taking on monsters and there are several points where my HP drops well below half.. if I am not watching my buffs/food/pots/heals properly I am a dead man.. now if I walk into the same siege under R53 I walk right out.. I can't survive. Let's also talk about dragons, or Daemons or Obsidians or any other number of bosses.. do you know how many of them I could solo as an AL 70 under R52 in my platemail? none, not one of them. My brother who is an AL 70 archer can take out cabalists no problem, still can in R53.. even back then I was getting killed in about 4 hits or so. The tank play style has always been plant your feet, they surround you and you simply OUTLAST them, that gameplay style is done for in R53.. that is the problem the way that we enjoy playing the game "IE Low DPS Super High survivability" has been obliterated.

I would also like to know why a damage resistance nerf was PRIORITIZED over fixing magic resistances, or fixing the health bug that has been in the game for more than a year.. why was it so important to make sure we couldn't tank green monsters and reap the oh so awesome 20 gold rewards..? I really would like a good answer on this. Everything outside of skills right now provides NO bonus damage mitigation on magic attacks, and now that you have completely screwed our physical resistance I can't survive an onslaught by ARCHERS melee duders and the 2 or 3 mages nuking me for 140 plus on crit with their spells. Before the nerf this was more methodical, I knew I could prioritize high value targets like mages because I could survive arrows and swords glancing off my armor, I could engage the magic creature and burn him down as fast as possible, heal myself chug a focus pot and then focus on my melee targets. As it stands now I am getting hit so hard by EVERYTHING that it feels impossible.

foots789, Gorthyn, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unfortunately I just don't have the kind of bandwidth to be making videos.. about all I can do is elaborate on what I've already said about how I play. I'm a cautious player. I don't expect to wade into hordes.. at least not safely. I pick my fights and try to control the situation. I run when I need to run. If I expect to do any serious combat I make sure I have shrine buffs at least.. (I prefer honor and sacrifice for the combat regen) and food buffs (preferably 2 obsidian meals).

So at the moment.. I just came back from a trip.. my combat regens are.. health +3.5 and focus +3.1

My active skills I use are glancing blow (77), fortify defense (79) and defensive stance (77). I'm currently using a heavy round shield. Innate defensives.. sympathy of stone (81), bulwalk of earth (61), deflection (75), angles (70), redirection (70).

My resist gets up to 58.6 with a current max of 70.1% and avoidance 58% with skills active.

Still level 76.

Rather than run in swinging I tend to lure mobs to me. Mind my surroundings and particularly mindful of what other mobs are around. I usually favor taking them one or two at a time. Yes I take damage. Pair of obsidian bears nearly killed me earlier.. but I never got used to the 100% max resist in R52 so from my perspective they always did damage. (I'm hardly hardcore in the way some other players are.) It was the last couple of releases that were odd.

Elwyn, Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Never tried it. Walking into a den of obsidian wolves and got what I expected.. more than I could handle. :) I did manage to whittle them down though about two at a time.

Being "green" can be misleading. There are several levels of green critters. And as I recall.. it was never intended for 'green' to be completely harmless. Elder wolves are green to me but I don't expect to take out a half dozen without any trouble.

Elwyn, Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  9. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Few more questions if you don't mind. I see you are using obsidian meals, I have never seen these in game - what is the cost of those? Also you did not talk about what type of armor you are wearing, are we talking decked out OBSIDIAN plate? I am wearing meteoric, its the best I can craft/afford my current maximums are under 60%. I am using sword/board my skills are around the same levels as your own - with buffs I too am at 50 something resist but my maximum absorption is about 58%. You also list "Fortify Defense (79)" I can't find this skill in the tree, are you talking about absorb impacts? Also could you elaborate on what you are using to heal? Are you not drinking potions? When you are going for a hunt, what area are you going into. Also, when you talk about being careful in combat.. how do you pull monsters to you? Are you using a bow.. or some other skill to peel them out of agro range from packs? How do you manage the archers who love to run benny hill style all over the place pulling more agro onto you? How do you manage mages who seem to like to do the same? Have you tried going into a siege and killing the monsters there recently? Had you done it before in R52?

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Depends on what you're fighting. Sieges tend to have stuff like hard hitting tier 6.. Anything that can do damage higher than your basic resist is of course going to give you trouble even with 100%.. it's not that I don't understand the argument here. There are just too many other factors than straight DR to really get whole picture. Even when you have all the data it can be rough cause.. well you don't really have all the data.. if you did game balance would be a lot easier. :)

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No obsidian plate.. I've collected no where near the amount of chips I'd need to probably even make a helm. :) My armor is epic meteoric plate. Not as hugely enchanted as some pieces but yes I guess that does play a part since I don't know what anyone else is using.. but I wouldn't say the enchantments are a deciding factor.. it's really a combination of everything I think. I favor meteoric due to the damage resists. I tend to favor defense over offense even though most offensive builds could wipe the floor with me. (in my experience anyway).

No idea what obsidian food costs.. I know there are a few reasonably prices food merchants.. or were at one time. In truth, I make it myself. My larder is stuffed with obsidian meats and dragon meat from group hunts of ages past.

Fortify Defenses is under tactics below the stance skills. It's an avoidance skill.

The only healing I use are the regen buffs. If I'm taking enough damage I put my weapons away when I'm 'safe' and give myself time to heal.. with the buffs especially it doesn't take very long.. about the time to harvest something is usually enough to get me back into shape. Today I'm hunting in Deep Ravenswood. Mainly looking for obsidian meat. I like a full larder. :) Again, I'm in no hurry to advance. To be honest I'd love to be able to solo other places.. I look forward to the day when the Rise no longer scares me. :) But I'm going to be here awhile and there's no great reason to rush. I'm not trying to compete with anyone. So Ravenswood is still fine and I occasionally group for other places.

Occasionally when I'm feeling spunky I'll go to Ulfheim. (sp) and play with the tier 6 barbarians there. I can still take one and sometimes two depending.. the archers give me a hard time.. but that's nothing new.. hate archers and mages! :)

Something I think I should add though.. I do have a bow and I'm pretty good with that as well. If I need to deal with archers and mages and they have me at range I will usually switch to a bow.. in that scenario the better defense is the better ranged offense and I don't have to worry about chasing them down and potentially attracting something else.

Pulling stuff to me can be with a bow, but also just careful positioning. Walk in just close enough to agro and when they come for you pull back to a safer location to avoid attracting anything else. The risk of using a bow is the tendency to be less cautious. You might pull more than one or two mobs and then you have some decisions to make in about 2 or 3 seconds. :) But an advantage with bows apart from range is use of cover and elevation.

I have a level 54 leather wearing squishy character offline who is an archer.. I take her to the crag foothills and get up on the plateaus there.. where if you get in the right spot you can snipe the elf mages and archers.. you can get a little cover.. do the extra damage from elevation.. and they consequently do less etc.. then go down and deal with any fighters as you see fit. :) Did that just last night. It does require some patience but it can be very effective.

One thing I do with archers and mages.. sometimes.. is if I know I have room behind me I will back out of their range and force them to move.. if you have a corner to get behind you can force them to close the range for you. Large rocks or trees can have the same effect. But I also do something use Charge (shield) which is one of the rapid approach skills to close distance. It's not often but I do keep it on the my combat bar if I'm feeling spunky. :)

I have not done a siege recently. I'm a bit curious.. I'm getting to the point where I'm comfortable with the idea of any of those guys one on one.. and if I can manage that I can whittle down the camps. BUT.. I would be relying heavily on my bow for that. I don't like charging into open terrain knowing there's multiple ranged combatants waiting to turn me into grilled swiss.

I admit I am a purist who builds more based on RP than mechanics and I don't mind being patient. I know there are defensive spells that would bring me better results and I do have other characters that will use magic. Bowen's just one such a character.
    Did I miss anything?

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The point is that spank and tank was viable strategy, not it is not. Exploiting the lackluster AI was a viable strategy, now it still is. Fans of the former are unlikely to be satisfied because the latter can still use their preferred strategy.

13. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I suspect we're not going to get any change back to accommodate anyone complaining because I also suspect that a dev made this change to affect one thing that has caused four things to be weakened, and because that ONE THING is now fixed, the one who fixed it probably has zero desire to pay any attention to those affected.

I seriously would not be surprised to discover this was done to fix something that a dev didn't like about an encounter he had in pvp, so this was the fix. Seen that happen way too many times in games where a tiny fraction of the population plays pvp.

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I suspect you're 110% right

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All I'm going to say about the past couple of comments is.. couldn't disagree more.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

All we do know is this change has countless people infuriated and some considering quitting. So, next move is theirs.

17. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I think that says it all. And could not agree more.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Then you haven't been paying much attention.. Chris posted in this very thread.. I myself have posted from Chris' blog on the matter.. in this very thread.. You're perfectly welcome to come to your own conclusions.. but info is out there.

19. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

That says it all? Not sure what you mean. I never had that expectation either. Ever. I'll probably never be able to solo dragons or other bosses. I just worked hard to be able to handle a group of green bad guys and cant anymore. The tank build has been destroyed.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I don't appreciate you assuming I haven't been paying attention. I'm the one who posted this thread and have read every post. I know they patched a "fix". Countless people are still upset. Their fix didn't fix much.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.