28 armor pieces made by GM crafter - only 1 exceptional

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Viper_Venom, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

I made 28 pieces of armor and shields yesterday and only got 1 exceptional.

[​IMG]

My blacksmithing skill is level 108. I had the Blacksmith blessing and also use a Smithing Hammer prosperity tool. This gives me 27% exceptional chance. I crafted 28 pieces of armor/shield in a row and got 1 exceptional, so I got a 3.57% exceptional rate in practice. Mostly these were plate pieces, and they take a crap ton of materials to make.

I have read the previous arguments and I'm not here to argue that the random number generator is not accurate. I just want to say this makes me not want to play the game and I have to step back and seriously consider if I want to continue playing.

When this happened, I ended up rage quitting hard. I was still making shields, but after that many items in a row not being exceptional I just hit restart on my PC and rage quit and stopped playing. I slept on it, thinking that would help, because whenever I'm upset, sleeping on it always helps. However, I logged in today and am still in full rage mode.

I don't understand why there wouldn't be some kind of assisted AI to stop some of the raging over things like this. It takes many hours to gather all the materials and traveling and refining and more refining and load times (not to mention the 2000 hours or whatever to raise my skill that high in the first place) and I finally make the product and almost all of it is useless. I get it that sometimes I will get more exceptional than I deserve and there is randomness, but this is just too much.

I want it to be difficult. I don't want crafting to be easy. At the same time it shouldn't be excruciating. The devs could easily add an AI assist in there so that every time you fail making an exceptional, your exceptional chance increases by 1% until you make an exceptional and once you do, then it resets to original value and continues like that. This would make it a lot harder for someone to make 20 items in a row and get nothing, without making exceptionals over produced.

The same concept goes for spell % chances. My Dash is 78% but I have failed dash 10 times in a row so many times I think of it as normal. When people play games they will always want to move max speed once they know the game well. It seems boring if they have to go at a slow pace and already know the game well, so everyone is going to use a spell like dash and I constantly just run around casting dash and failing and its probably the most annoying thing about this game to me. In my opinion, this also needs an AI assist to increase success chance each time you fail so this happens less.

2. Sylence

Sylence Avatar

3. Viper_Venom

Viper_Venom Avatar

lol I'm better after venting. It's just a lot of negativity at once a player can receive from the game for no fault of their own and they just have to suck it up and sometimes it really sucks.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well crafting can suck and is a big time sync. Being random luck instead imo has caused much of this upset from players. I do know players who crafting is one of their main things to do in this game and any game. They are not social and love to quest, gather and harvest, and work on crafting. I really wanted to see some sort of mini-game in crafting and it was said we would get something but so far we have not. If we have no say in how crafting goes it is totally out of our hands. If we at least have options to make a difference in crafting by adding something, or setting it up the table in certain ways such as they did in Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Now this was crafting where you felt you had some choices to succeed or not succeed. Here is a very old video on crafting and harvesting in that game only for ideas of course. ;) And also on the Everquest 2 crafting as well. What I like is they are more interactive. Perhaps if some parts of crafting were interactive like making weapons, jewelry, and armor pieces we would not feel so disconnected from it, well I should speak for myself ;). Because we are trying to make one special piece perhaps that is the part that gets interacted, our choices could effect the product.

5. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Is my recollection completely wrong or we also told that there would be smartphone app that would have an effect in game? Perhaps, that may have been the mini-games? I do remember doing research on Portalarium's previous titles for smart phone apps. The smartphone app was one of the reasons I backed Shroud of the Avatar BY Portalarium..

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I do think there were a couple of attempts at making apps for the game but I never used them to know if they worked. Perhaps we can call out to @Spoon to see if he remembers or knows. ;)

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

You would think as a grandmaster, or particularly, someone who has enough experience invested to grandmaster a skill several times over you'd be making exceptional items more often than not. I'd honeslty expect a 95% exceptional rate at grandmaster, if not higher. You're a grandmaster. If you're like me, you've made xx item thousands of times. You do quality work.

I'm tired of hearing economic implications bla bla bla. The fact of the matter is the exceptional rate is just downright stupid; most nonexceptional gear doesn't have enough durability to do anything with and still expect to wear for more than a day or two fighting before its worthless.

First, we got rid of infinite coto repair because of economic implications. This made it so that crafters couldn't sell anything for more than the base materials because all gear became disposable. Then we increased (more than once) the amount of damage gear takes from fighting. And now the new change to crafting where stuff doesn't blow up anymore but just loses more durability the result is we just have an extreme bloat of unwanted, unusable, crap items floating around and even after they were deemed so bad, and so crap, that someone thought the best course of action was to SELL TO NPC FOR PENNIES, for 1% of creation cost or less, they come back around again as an insult in the supply bundle, being about as useful as the bark bread and single tomato packaged with them.

Honestly, I have yet to see a single good reason why the exceptional rate is so horribly row for extremely invested crafters. "We'd have too much stuff" is a fallacy, we already have way too much stuff that nobody buys. We need to stop the faucet here by preventing so much junk from ever being made; for example, by making it so you don't have to make 27 items to get 1 exceptional as per the above. And what do you do with those nonexceptionals? Salvage for a 0.00001% chance of a single ingot back? Sell for <1% of cost to make? What's the point of that?

8. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Well there is an excercise app that will reward you with emotes at the moment :p

Jaesun and Archibald Leatherneck like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Thats.. literally how its been since the start heh.

When i was playing, we used to have almost like bitter competitions about how many we could go with no excep. Some people broke 35+ on a regular basis.

But dont worry, i never really saw or had any streaks of more then 2-3 exceptionals ..

Their math overall is apparently dead on when you do batchs of multiple thousands. But personally I lost the patience to craft quite early on, as it was entirely more profitable to simply sell raw materials to the crafters dumping $$$ to power level. ( Had a guildy dropping several hundred a week on gold for raw mats ) and then buy the oddball weapon that was what you wanted.

I cant imagine too many crafters have actually recouped the full value of what the raw materials would be worth.
    And every day that more and more people get closer to where they are, the curve of power closes a bit making their stuff slightly less valuable.

There was a pretty huge advantage to power leveling the stuff early on by mining 12h days for exp, then buying raw mats with real cash to level said skills.
    I dont really see how anyone starting off can compete at this point. (other then maybe odd ball deco items here n there)
    as when it comes down to it, you can pull 5x more cash just grinding.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Archibald Leatherneck
    @majoria70

There has been a couple of apps made by fans but the one Archie is thinking of is the official companion mobile app that Starr and Chris has been talking about a couple of times.
    It is in the Post Episode One plans.

11. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.